Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #875 03/25/06 07:46 AM
    D
    deeyana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    HI Trinity

After all this wait. They tested my son to see if he qualifies for an IEP testing.Which he did not!The good thing is that he does not have any disorders or a LEARNING DISABILITY! Which I already knew. All they had to offer me is stickers for good classroom behavior!

I guess my only option is to have him tested privately.After reading about Joximom $15 GT test,I still have faith. wink

#876 03/26/06 10:52 PM
    That sounds like my January Meeting with the School. While I was relieved, and I found that it helped clear my head, I was unsatisfied. Did they throw the AHDH diagnosis at you? congradulations if not. Did they do any IQ or Achievment Type test during their IEP testing?

I am curious how you see your son from the Ruf Estimated Levels Perspective. What did you learn from that? Are you comfortable to share that with us? I think it will help us advise/sympatise.

Either way, know that my hopes and prayer are with you and your family.

Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    #877 03/27/06 06:51 AM
    D
    deeyana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Trinity

They did try to throw the possible ADHD disorder early on in the year. My husband and I approached the school with the request for GT testing.They said that he didn't look gifted but that he may be ADHD!I was so insulted,here I am telling them that he needs accelerated classes and they tell me that maybe he is just mentally ill!
    Little did they know that he attended week end Arabic school. Which is another classroom situation of about 30 children.The week-end school wrote a letter stating that they were not experiening the same problems. And that he is one of the best performing kids in the classroom. so much so that he is put to help other children.
    They did give him a psycologicial test,he scored 115. They also gave him a IQ test,which they did NOT give me the scores.They only told me there was nothing in the IQ test to worry about. And that the test indicated that he didn't qualify for any special ED services! Every time I will bring up the IQ test at this meeting,they would change the subject very quickly. They also told me that although my son doesn't do any kind of class work (along with sometimes test) that he will not be retained! This test was NOT an IEP,It was a pretest to see if they need to do the IEP TEST.
    This year is like THE TWILIGHT ZONE.Nothing makes any sence.My son is on strike at school and comes home to ask if I have something new for him to learn about! He doesn't read at school, But comes home and reads non-stop.However he clearly tells me that he doesn't want to be homeschooled! I don't get it!
    On the ruf estimate he sounds to me like a level 2 with some of the charateristics of math and reading of level 3.(Except for the early vocabulary.) He was half deaf up until last year. He perfected the art of reading lips and went undetected for years!
    Is what I'm experiencing with him and the school normal? Did you really have a similiar experience? Am I crazy for even thinking that he is gifted? I'm all ears for any advice!

~Deeyana~

#878 03/27/06 11:38 AM
    D
    deeyana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    I also have to return to his school to sign some papers. These papers state that I can not request for ESE testing within the next two years.
    I will be talking to the guidance counselor who gave him the IQ part of the test. Maybe she will be able to give me the scores.

#879 04/06/06 02:21 AM
    ((worried sad face))
    Oh! How did the meeting go? Did they give you the test scores? No wonder you feel crazy! The situation is crazy!

I'm praying that your son gets a wonderful teacher next year who "gets him" - that's really all it took for my son to take a big step forward.

Are you considering homeschooling?

sincerely-trinity

#880 04/10/06 02:58 AM
    D
    deeyana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Today I recieved the IQ scores.He scored well above average in mathematics and math calculation skills;and low in language. They told me that there is a big possibility that he is gifted. But we must first wait until his classroom performance improves before they can consider GT testing.They also recommened for us to apply to a mathematical elementary school or a magnet school.(big waiting list)
    The test given was the Wood****-Johnson lll Tests of Achievement. Does any one know,how accurate this test is in determining different levels of giftness?

#881 04/12/06 03:12 AM
    WJIII - alright, a good first step! finally!
    If "They" say that there is a big possibility that he is gifted - then Horray! I got such a laugh out of the way the scores are reported - grade equivlent is to be taken with a grain of salt - it's deviance from the mean they are measuring, not grade level!

Do you have the strength to apply for the math school and the magnet school? I'm cheering for you!

Now, about waiting until classroom performance improves...can you ask to see where it is written that this is the policy? I haven't gotten far with this very issue, but I think it's worth it to push here. Perhaps with the scores someone will listen?

Here's my newest idea for my DS9
    What about the depression angle? A kid who "refuses" to do the work might be presenting kid-version signs of depression. (there is such a thing as appropriate to the situation depression) perhaps with depression as an explaination for the behavior, you could get past the "waiting for behavior to improve" and into the differentiated instruction.

Whatever you decide to do, I am sending you my hopes and prayers.
    Trin

#882 04/12/06 07:11 AM
    D
    deeyana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Hello Trin

I found this last meeting very odd.The conversation of possible giftness did not arise until I requested a copy of the WJ-lll results.Then they talked about his personality in school.How he wants control of what he wants to learn. How he does not like the repeative work.They mention that he is a very creative,and perfectionistic child.They also said that they never meet a child with such a stronge charactor.(Their reaction was as if they were talking about a child from a diferent planet) They also told me that in kindergarten, he was being pulled out and put in a first grade class for reading! In which he did really good. Why they never mentioned any of these things before?

The depression angle sounds too risky for me.I have read that children with depression are either medicated or put in special education.There the work will be MORE easy!I am definetly going to apply to a mathematical school.Wish me luck!

(How is your DS9.I hope he is doing good ,both home and school.)

Love
    ~Deeyana~

#883 04/16/06 10:22 PM
    I'm wishing you luck in the mathematical school. Your son sure sounds like a perfectly normal gifted kid. Especially about wanting to learn what he wants to learn at his own pace! The strong character part is a "normal" part of giftedness, although not every gifted child has it. Boys, especially, seem less able to "hide" at this age, although usually they ARE hiding quite a bit, just not enough to escape notice.

I celebrate that they moved your son for reading. I marvel at your not being told, but similar things have happened to us.

One our end, it is spring vacation! The weather is in the 60s, and the sun is shining. DS9's spirits are high, and we aren't thinking about school at all! Yippee!

#884 06/16/06 04:39 AM
    Deeyana Dear -
    How are things going? Did your son get into the Math School?

DS9 just spent had a blast apending a day at the local Montessori school, shadowing a 6th grader. (I just insisted on a grade skip for the evaluation.) I'm feeling hopeful since they have multiage program for 6th through 8th. (I don't imagine that he could stay there the whole 3 years, but at this point one or two good years are the goal.)

School ends Wednesday. It was a very long year for me! The best part was DS9 picking up a musical instrument, and finally becoming a touch typist.

Smiles and Hugs -Trin

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM