Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Skylersmommy
    it can only get better from here smile

For sure. And, the good news with homeschooling is if you don't like how it is going you don't have to ask permission to change it. Just do it!

Originally Posted by Skylersmommy
    I'm so happy everyone is doing well smile Wish I could say the same here. I feel like an awful parent, I hate homeschooling frown I am trying to give it a chance. I can see the benefits, we have just gotten off to such a rocky start. The first 2 weeks there were site problems , and this program uses the computer a lot, then they accidently unenrolled us, that took a week to fix, the last week and a half I've been sick (as in walking dead sick,lol) I've had about 2 good days so far, on the up side it can only get better from here smile

I quoted your entire post because you shouldn't have to deal with all of these on a regular basis. Hang in there! It will get better. smile

Originally Posted by Learningmom
    I'm sleeping quite well these days, until I'm up at 3:00 worrying about curriculum! I'm enjoying the planning and layers of enrichment....

Okay, so I'm not the only one! This is truly my biggest problem with homeschooling my child; I don't get in bed on time EVER! I'm one of those people who does best with 8 - 8 1/2 hours of sleep each night. I think I've probably averaged about 6-1/2 for the past year or so.

I think, too, that we're still figuring things out with my ds, so there is still some adjusting and trying-on-for-size that is going on. I hope this will cease by the end of this year, though I fear that when I have to come up with a new curriculum next year, I will be back in the same boat.

What I have truly found most difficult --> stressful <--- has been trying to stay with him as he makes the leaps. We've schooled for 11-12 months now. In that time I've gone from trying to do Kindergarten work with him (before I had a clue about his needs), to first grade work, and now to second grade work. Since we started this last session, I've not had to do any major tweaking. I hope that we'll be okay through the end of the year (2010), but if his growth this past year is an indication of future growth, I'll be doing some tweaking during the Christmas break.

I didn't mean to ramble about all of that. I couldn't help myself when I read all of your posts with those great details! Thanks for sharing. I really enjoy reading about what others are doing. grin

thank you both for your words of encouragement, I am going to stick it out. I realize this is not how most people begin. Hopefully a month from now I can tell everyone how smoothly everything is going smile

OP Offline
    Skylersmommy - It will get better!!!! That first year was such a learning year, for both of us. Then the next year when I brought my 1st grader home, it was a whole different learning year.

H
    H
    LOL Skylersmommy. I feel that way 1/2 the time. I feel like a bipolar homeschooler. Some days I love it. We get lots done, I feel a sense of accomplishment. Other days, I'm pretty sure I've single-handedly flunked him 2 or 3 grades. hehe Do I get an award for that? So I'm right there with you skylersmommy. You're not alone!!!

Remember that it's a marathon, not a sprint. They don't have to learn everything TODAY! They have years and years! Even a bad month or two is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Honest.

smile

Sorry to dash in and dash out, but some days the marathon thing is all that keeps me going, so I wanted to post it. Since school started for us, I've been reading but not posting. I want to get on here and add my update, but I haven't had time. Soon!

Kriston
    OP Offline
    Hi Kriston!!!

Yes it is marathon. Some days, I need reminding of that.

Dazey

Originally Posted by hkc75
    LOL Skylersmommy. I feel that way 1/2 the time. I feel like a bipolar homeschooler. Some days I love it. We get lots done, I feel a sense of accomplishment. Other days, I'm pretty sure I've single-handedly flunked him 2 or 3 grades. hehe Do I get an award for that? So I'm right there with you skylersmommy. You're not alone!!!

You summed up how I'm feeling exactly

skylersmommy and hkc:
    I am in the same boat as you! Some days are diamonds and others are coal. I think they are supposed to be gold, but the song doesn't fit that way around here lately!

I just picked up the book Creative Homeschooling by Lisa Rivero. She really hits home for me in terms of why we homeschool. I feel more relaxed now about how things are going. I'm always having to remind myself, as others said, that this is a marathon not a sprint. I'm trying to focus on the long term goals and remember not to do "school at home."

It's been really hard to try juggling hs with starting a new business but I think I'm finding a rhythm there. Some days we do lots of kid focused activities and then I may have a couple of days where I'm more focused on work related activities. I need to stop feeling guilty about those days and just move on to the next round of "school days."

The important thing is that I've noticed the kids are more relaxed and happy this fall. Last year was so stressful for the family. Still adjusting to many changes in our lives but we seem to moving forward. Guess it can't be all that bad if we are headed in the right direction. smile

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM