Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    My girls are a fair way above their classmates when it comes to numeracy. This week the teacher has been doing lessons on "the clock" --> she has revised o'clock, gone through half past and started on quarter past. Meanwhile my girls can read the clock to the nearest minute and do basic clock problems (ie if it is 8.45 how many minutes til 9 o'clock). In class though, when they are discussing simple basics like quarter past my girls get confused (they over think the teachers question because they know so much more about the clock than the lesson she is conducting) they wonder does she mean 8.15, or the hand isn't exactly on the 3 (it's a toy learning clock)does she what an answer of 8:14 or does she want it in words of 15 minutes past 8. Then they overthink it so much they think they must have the hands back to front and start thinking she must want 42minutes past 3 and I'm sure you get the picture. But the problem is the teacher doesn't see it that way, she just thinks they can't tell the time and thats that. How do I explain to her that they are just overthinking something they knew 2 years ago.

A
    A
    When mine did that (attempting to be far more exact than the measuring tool provided for), I attempted to teach DD the useful life skill of figuring out what it's most likely the other person is asking about.

I will say that I had limited success, but since there were no negative consequences to the teacher underestimating her ability (like being put into a different group, or being held back), I tried not to care so much what the teacher might have thought.

--->I attempted to teach DD the useful life skill of figuring out what it's most likely the other person is asking about.<---

Would you please teach *me* this skill? wink I've been plagued with the over-thinking problem my entire life.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM