Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 10 of 32 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 31 32
    Wow! that sounds great. I bet it's nice for the classroom teacher to have a small class during pull-out too. They can probably do some great projects appropriate to the remaining students. Suddenly the value of differentiation for everyone becomes apparent.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by Maryann1
    Suddenly the value of differentiation for everyone becomes apparent.

my thoughts exactly.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I just learned of a local (to my work, not to our house) Charter school that is math/science based. I have NO idea why I have not heard of it before... I'm shaking my head (at myself). I have requested more information, as well as requested a tour. And I have already put DC on the waiting list for next year (DD will start K, and it will be easier to drive them both instead of having one go one place and the other go farther away).

Anyway, I'm excited and mad (at myself) all in one!

J
    J
    Hi guys. I forgot my username and had to re-register so I'm not new but my username is smile

I'll try to keep this brief:
    Last year DS was at a Montessori school registered in K but finished the year in 1st for reading and 2nd for math.

We moved to a new district but before we bought the house I spoke with the principal of the new school and she said she'd start working to get DS skipped to 2nd for this school year. She said that per the district there they aren't allowed to give out of grade level work so if he's in 1st he's not allowed to go to another grade for any subject or do any other work in class.

Things seemed to be going well until one day I called to check on the progress of getting him skipped and the principal informed me that she took another job and that I'd have to speak to the new principal to do the skip and he wouldn't be in until the day before school started. She had never filed the paperwork to get him moved up.

I wasn't happy. I was under the impression that all would be taken care of before school started. I called plenty of people at the school board but they said there is nothing they can do for me because a grade skip must be requested by the principal.

On the first day of school we found out that he was in a 2nd grade classroom. When we walked in I talked to the teacher about what was going on with him and she told me that she didn't think it was a good idea for him to be in 2nd grade. This was all before he even said a word. Before 9:30 that morning they had moved him to 1st grade.

The new principal called me yesterday and told me that there is no way they are skipping him to 2nd grade. That until they know him, which could take a few years, they won't even consider it. He wouldn't even listen to anything I had to say.

I talked to his teacher and she said that she felt he needed to be in 1st because of his handwriting and because he acts like a 1st grader. She said that she did send home some more difficult homework for him but it was stuff that he's known how to do since he was a baby. For math he had to count blocks and write how many there were.

I don't know where to go from here. The school board won't help me. The principal won't help me. The only thing that I can think to do at this point is to try and work with the teacher. The bad thing is I know that if DS is bored he's going to act out in class and that's going to make it harder for me to get anything done.

Last night he was reading over the homework sheet that the teacher sent the parents. He'd read what they'd be doing in each subject and would just put his head down and shake it. He told me that he feels like he'll be doing this until he's in 11th grade. I feel so bad for him. He was so excited to be in 2nd grade on the first day.

Sorry this turned out so long. I look forward to hearing how the year is going for everybody. I'm going to try and go back and read the thread now smile

Kriston - you sent me some homeschooling links through email a few weeks ago, I'm still reading those and hoping that I'll be able to convince everybody that's what needs to happen soon.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by NCPMom
    I was excited to see that she had a seat at a table with ds's name on, so he feels like he belongs when he's there for math !
    That's great that they did this so that he knows he belongs there!

G
    G
    I'm so glad things are going so well with the new school year!

DS6 started back with his homeschool charter this week. They are very supportive of my new gifted curriculum requests. They agreed to pay for DS6's EPGY OE tuition, purchase many new materials, and are enrolling in the Scripps Bee contest at my request. So far, so good!

For what it's worth, we tried both ALEKS and EPGY this week, and DS prefers EPGY. He found it more difficult to line the curser up with the "little blue boxes" on Aleks, and found the explanations dry and textbook-like. He likes the A-V on EPGY much more, and really gets into the competition on the math races. The grammar isn't too bad, either, 'though my first impression of the literature (LAW) is that we can do much better offline.

We're focusing mainly on standards during these first few weeks because when September comes, he'll be in hands-on co-ops and workshops for half of the school week.

I hope those who haven't started yet are having fun with the end of their summer vacation!

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    Originally Posted by JJsMom

Be excited. I understand where you're coming from, believe me, but don't be mad at yourself. You can't know everything there is to know.

Aren't we telling our kids that all day long? We need to model it too! (I'm saying this at least partially to remind myself!)

Last edited by Maryann1; 08/16/10 11:21 AM. Reason: add
    Originally Posted by jba8280
    The new principal called me yesterday and told me that there is no way they are skipping him to 2nd grade. That until they know him, which could take a few years, they won't even consider it. He wouldn't even listen to anything I had to say.

I'm so sorry to hear that this happened to your son. It had to be a great disappointment to him.

I know that there is a lot of literature about working positively with the schools. See if you can find something that will help.

However if you've exhausted the more positive routes, you may want to talk to the principal and make it clear you are considering pulling your child from the school. My Mom (a Professor of education) pointed out to me that in this day and age of test scores being so important many schools are willing to jump through hoops to keep high scoring kids in their school.

At this point they may be trying to game the test scores by what grade your child is in. The Principal may also be of the opinion that you have no options. In this case letting them know what you are considering may help them decide to help you (and keep you at the school). You may also see if your state requires that Gifted Services be offered to homeschooled and private schooled children. That could be a good way of opening the conversation.

I'm sorry it's still not going well! I hope you get it worked out. If I can help with anything, let me know. frown It's a rotten position they've put you in.

Kriston
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by Maryann1
    Originally Posted by JJsMom

Be excited. I understand where you're coming from, believe me, but don't be mad at yourself. You can't know everything there is to know.

Aren't we telling our kids that all day long? We need to model it too! (I'm saying this at least partially to remind myself!)

Thanks for the reminder! smile

Page 10 of 32 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 31 32

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM