Grintity,
To be honest, I am not sure why. I would guess that a lot of the kids have no desire to put forth the effort on the test. Not that I think this is the answer, but the motivation used to come from the fact that one had to attend summer school or repeat the grade if they did not pass. That motivation is gone.

I am not quite sure how the high ability were identified in that study, but for anyone speaking of the state test in a poor light when they have that direct connection blew my mind.

The test is about the norm as far as achievement tests go, except the applied skills that I mentioned earlier (which you can see on the state site). My brightest often have to think about them, so I know that they require some thinking.

I think that the preparation has something to do with it, but I also know that motivation is a key. Most of my students fell right where I would expect with the exception of one and he was SICK while he was taking it that week and would not give in to feeling bad.

Yes, challenges. I love a good one and this may be the KING!!!

Okay, I like the mini-school and after school program. We will have to really explore that option. (However, I will have to give up my current after school teaching position with the Title I math program. I really like that too.)

Well, I am off to my other after school love..... a high school athletic event. This is where I get to reconnect with former students!!!