Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 214 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Cricket2 #87670 10/20/10 11:56 AM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Both prior assessments were done privately and paid for by us. The first one consisted solely of the WISC-IV and a brief report. The second was much more comprehensive but I can't say that I agree with the psych who did it in that she said: 1) dd does not have any LDs b/c her WIAT (achievement scores) were higher than expected per IQ, 2) she should not be placed in accelerated classes despite high IQ and individual achievement b/c she wants to be normal and it might make her feel like she stands out, and 3) she doesn't have ADD b/c her teacher's behavioral scale said that she didn't. She had no explanation for the wild achievement and ability fluctuation other than maybe dd was anxious and we were hothousing her (not in those words, but it came across that way). A negative comparison to her sister was also written into the report (along the lines of "she's smart, but doesn't appear to be as smart as her sister.")

I really, really doubt that the district would agree to evaluate her for special ed in that we have one independent pysch saying that she has no problem and she's not performing below grade level. In fact, she's in GT classes for both reading and math at this point.

I'm also not sure that an IEE or district eval would be any better than that which we can get free through our insurance. She has an apt with the in-network psych for next week.

Cricket2 #87683 10/20/10 02:41 PM
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    We can certainly start with a dx, meds, and other techniques at home. I did pick up a book at a used book store the other day that had some good suggestions including cutting apart comic strips and having the child rearrange them into the right order to deal with logic issues (or seeing things in a more convergent way). I don't want to do away with her divergence b/c I think that it is a real asset in some areas, but it would be good if she could get an idea of what the "typical" person might see in a question.
    That sounds like a lovely goal, Cricket2. I don't think you have to worry about damaging her divergence, because you aren't saying she is wrong, just that 'here's a good skill to have.' And believe me - it is a good skill.

bio-feedback/heart-centered meditation (http://www.iamheart.org/ or http://store.heartmath.org/store.html) What would you suggest from these product lines? There seems to be a lot of stuff there. I was imagining the coherence coach CD maybe: http://store.heartmath.org/cd-roms/coherence-coach-cd .

Ok - now were are in murkey territory. I and totally enjoying my Heart Rhythm meditation - no electronics required - just sit nice and tall, listen for my pulse, and breath in and out to it's rhythm. I want to learn meditation and have access to all that world view. My neighbor is having a lot of trouble hearing her pulse, so she uses a stethescope, but it bothers her ears. So we've been looking around for a 'just give me the benifits and leave the philosopy out of it' way to do similar.

It seems the ebook - Teaching Children to Love - e-BookETCTL
    Item # ETCTLPrice: $11.95
    Teaching Children to Love: 80 Games & Fun Activities for Raising Balanced Children in Unbalanced Times e-Book By Doc Childre
    Kid Tested and Approved
    Teaching Children to Love presents new perspectives and building blocks for new levels of intelligence, emotional management, deeper communication and self-security � helping children feel positive and hopeful. This e-Book includes an explanation of the physiology of heart intelligence, instructions for three of HeartMath�s core techniques and easy-to-use, entertaining games and activities. Each activity has a learning purpose, step-by-step instructions and variations. This is for parents, childcare providers, counselors and everyone who is responsible for loving, educating and caring for children. All games are kid tested and kid approved.

For ages 6 months to 19 years, with variations for any age group.

More info �
    Might be a good place to start. But my guess is that sooner or later you are going to feel like you are reading an infomertial for their 200$ pulse monitor system. Please let me know if the HeartMath people have 'subtled up' since their Amazon reviews.

What my neighbor ended up buying is StressEraser Portable Biofeedback Device by StressEraser
    Buy new: $134.50
    Because you get to see the graph of the sin wave that shows you are getting the benifits.

The HeartMath people also have software games, but I think a hardware piece is needed to measure the pulse.

Bottom line - Slow Deep Breathing in time to the pulse - through meditation or biofeedback is starting to wrack up credible evidence to increase 'Heart Intelligence' - decrease stress, anxiety,sleeplessness and the ill effects of OverExcitability and increase consentration, general satisfaction. Please keep me informed if the HeartMath 'calvalcade of products' turn out to be helpful to anyone. Like anything else that's good for you - doing it regularly is the key to getting the benifits.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Cricket2 #87686 10/20/10 04:33 PM
    If you request an evaluation from the school, they must evaluate in all areas of concern. They cannot refuse. They may not find her eligible for special ed - that is another issue. But, under IDEA (federal special ed law), the MUST evaluate in all areas of concern within about 60 days (varies by state - some states have shorter timeline).

The evaluations that you get from schools are often less diagnostic than private evaluations. But, they will give you a read on many areas of concern.

Cricket2 #87701 10/20/10 07:46 PM
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    Both prior assessments were done privately and paid for by us. The first one consisted solely of the WISC-IV and a brief report. The second was much more comprehensive but I can't say that I agree with the psych who did it in that she said: 1) dd does not have any LDs b/c her WIAT (achievement scores) were higher than expected per IQ, 2) she should not be placed in accelerated classes despite high IQ and individual achievement b/c she wants to be normal and it might make her feel like she stands out, and 3) she doesn't have ADD b/c her teacher's behavioral scale said that she didn't. She had no explanation for the wild achievement and ability fluctuation other than maybe dd was anxious and we were hothousing her (not in those words, but it came across that way). A negative comparison to her sister was also written into the report (along the lines of "she's smart, but doesn't appear to be as smart as her sister.")

This is so sad. ((Hugs)) We got similarly 'off base' report from a local private eval we paid for too.
    Grimity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Cricket2 #87709 10/21/10 12:38 AM
    L
    L
    Speaking as a parent who has done testing more than once, one could spend a lot of money and never receive a definitive diagnosis or receive conflicting diagnoses.

We saw a gifted expert, and we also saw someone who does other assessments, one of which is the T.O.V.A. The later definitely demonstrated what we were observing.

We then had conflicting assessments; for us it came down to trying interventions for ADHD and executive function. And in our case, it helped.

Cricket2 #87727 10/21/10 07:37 AM
    lightdance - I agree that if the situation is complex, evaluators often disagree on what the primary issues are and where to start with the treatment. I suggest more information because it seems like Cricket thinks there is more going on than just ADHD, and if there are other disabilities such as a language based learning disability such as dyslexia or dysgraphia, it would be important to recognize this and begin treatment in every area of need. And, if her child qualified for an IEP, this would afford the student accommodations and instruction in school. EF skills can and should be addressed by an IEP.

As far as ADHD, at some point it makes sense to take the plunge and begin treatment. I know in my son's case, once began treating with medication and a change of educational placement, life got a lot better for him.

Cricket2 #87783 10/21/10 07:17 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    How does one treat dyslexia if the child reads reasonably well? Dd's reading comprehension is well above grade level as is her decoding. She has some other issues with reading but I am wondering if her wandering mind might be enhancing them.

Cricket2 #87804 10/22/10 04:22 AM
    My mistake. I was using reading as an example, not suggesting that dyslexia is a problem. Poor choice on my part, an I am sorry for the confusion and the stress. I am sorry.

My point is that it seems you are concerned with issues that go beyond ADHD - perhaps EF difficulties? And if so, it is helpful to have data that can help shed some light. You are entitled to a school based evaluation which may give you the info you need, and might perhaps give you additional services to help in areas of need.

The other thing to consider is whether her reading is commensurate with her intellect. For instance, I've seen gifted kids (WISC in the 90 percentile or above), with reasonable reading decoding and fluency skills (at the 50 percentile). This difference between intellect and reading can cause havoc and sometimes points to a reading difficulty. However, sometimes it points to an attention issue. Sometimes both, sometimes nothing. The child needs to be looked at as the whole and hopefully, with the help of experts you can decide what needs support, what kind, and how it should be delivered. It's not an exact science, but information helps because things aren't always black and white.

Again, I was trying to point out that
    1. The District MUST test
    2. The school may be able to deliver supports
    3. Sometimes the data shows co-morbid issues that may be contributing to the struggle.

Dyslexia was a bad choice of words on my part, and I'm sorry I made the conversation more confusing.

mich #87935 10/24/10 09:00 AM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by mich
    My point is that it seems you are concerned with issues that go beyond ADHD - perhaps EF difficulties?
    I've been thinking about this and I am not sure that I am concerned with things that go beyond ADD. She is a very divergent thinker, but I don't know that I'd call that an executive function difficulty or even a problem at all. It is certainly a hinderance when you are looking at a school based setting and tests that test convergent thinking, but is it really something wrong? I'm not sure that it is. I actually think that it is a real plus in life in some ways. It just isn't valued as much b/c it is atypical -- much the way being gifted is atypical and can make school challenging as well.

I'm not bothered that you suggested something more. Just in thinking about it, I am realizing that some of what makes life and school challenging for dd is just part of who she is as a person and things that I don't really think are pathological. I don't want to change those things.
    The other thing to consider is whether her reading is commensurate with her intellect. For instance, I've seen gifted kids (WISC in the 90 percentile or above), with reasonable reading decoding and fluency skills (at the 50 percentile). This difference between intellect and reading can cause havoc and sometimes points to a reading difficulty. However, sometimes it points to an attention issue. Sometimes both, sometimes nothing.
    No, her reading really doesn't seem to be commensurate with her ability. The two times she took the WISC, her VCI scores were in the 99.7th and 99th. Both times there were two scores in the 17-19 range and one much lower (12 one time and I can't recall the second). She is probably very, very able in the verbal realm. Her reading comprehension runs in the mid to upper 90s and sometimes lower on tests like MAPS, but she pretty consistently decodes extremely well and has very good comprehension (many grades above level). Her troubles with reading related to rate (speed) and distraction. She loses her place or stops part of the way through a sentence b/c she is thinking of something else. A lot of people with ADD with whom I have spoken have told me that they experience similar sx. There may be something more going on, but I think that we'll look at the attention issues first and then see if there appears to be more if that doesn't make a significant difference.
    Again, I was trying to point out that
    1. The District MUST test
    2. The school may be able to deliver supports
    3. Sometimes the data shows co-morbid issues that may be contributing to the struggle.
    I am still going to private route b/c, as you said, it isn't an exact science and I've seen two experts look at the same data and come away with totally different diagnoses or none at all. I don't trust that the school is going to find anything. I'd rather go the route of someone I've selected myself.

I'll let you know where we wind up once we get through some of the meetings w/ the psych through our insurance.

Cricket2 #87941 10/24/10 01:30 PM
    Good luck! I hope you can find the answers that help.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM