Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Edwin #87808 10/22/10 05:19 AM
    T
    T
    I always think what if in the 6th grade math class the teacher used a 2nd grade math book, oh then the mothers would be mad why? Oh because their kids would not be learning, they would be doing remedial work. That is how we feel but we never get validated.

I had to tell my DS7 to NOT raise his hand too much in math, only raise it 3 time max, teacher said "i know you are good at math but you have to stop bragging" boy he was mad, he said he is proud not bragging. Teachers do not like when kids are smarter than they are. And he pointed out a grading error so now forget it he is on her SH*T list

Edwin #87815 10/22/10 06:23 AM
    S
    S
    Edwin,
    Congrats on the new plan! So glad that they came through and great news on the Super being so supportive. How exciting that she called Davidson! My DS6 was placed in a 4th grade math class at a different school this year. DS is in 2nd grade but skipped K so chronologically should be in 1st and is a younger 6 too. That means that some of the kids in his 4th grade class are about 4 years older then him. Anyhow, it's been about a month and so far it has been great. The kids are very accepting of him and supportive. 4th still isn't a challenge for him but they pull him aside in the class to give him more challenging work and he still gets enrichment and is on the Math Olympiads team this year so that should help him to have some challenges. Not sure what the plan for next year is as I think he will be above 5th grade and may have to go to the middle school at 7..but one step at a time so I am trying not to think too far ahead.

I just wanted to say that our plan for DS6 is to go straight to the other elementary school on their bus. He sits in the front seat with some 5th grade kid he seems to get along with. Then he does morning work with the 4th grade and then they do an hour block of math. Then he goes on a bus by himself back to his other school and goes through the rest of the day with them (there happens to be a bus that goes by there from his school around that time). His 2nd grade class does math at the same time so he doesn't have to make up any work. In the beginning they had a hall monitor walk him back and forth, then they tried to match him with another kid that they thought would be good to walk with him. Now I think he just goes on his own. I am not too worried about the social aspect of the kids in the class because really they are supposed to be doing math and if the teacher has no control over the room and lots of other inappropriate conversations were going on I would be quite concerned. Anyhow, so far so good. thought I would share too because maybe they could work something out so you would only have to make one trip. : ) Hope it works out well and hope it is a smooth transition for DS.

shellymos #87833 10/22/10 08:56 AM
    Edwin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Shellymos
    Glad to see it is working well for you. I am hopeful that it goes as well for DS8. He is also doing the Math Olympiad. Lat year was his first year. Our ES is k-5th so he had some time working with last years 5th graders. MOEMs has been a challenge for him. I am not sure if it�s because of the math (It is difficult) or the instructor (Which is myself). I started this last year and most of the 30 students did not do well. Of the 25 questions last year, only one student received 17, one 14 (DS8), a few received over 10, and most under 10. For those of you unfamiliar with the Math Olympiad, their are 5 contest with 5 questions for each contest. They are once a month starting in November. I am hopeful that this year I can do a better job of teaching them problem solving skills. Its funny how many teachers think I am a math wiz, I have had to let them know, I am not only not a math wiz, but I am not even that good with math. Lucky for me its still ES, and I have the answers and how to solve them.

Last edited by Edwin; 10/22/10 08:59 AM. Reason: Spell Check
    Edwin #87846 10/22/10 11:25 AM
    S
    S
    Math Olympiad does seem pretty cool. He hasn't done it before but is on the 4th grade team this year. They met for the first time yesterday, but gave them problems to work on throughout the week. I like that it is not your typical math and is more outside the box and problem-solving from what I have seen so far. I am looking forward to seeing him have to actually think and not just know it right away. I think this will be good for him, and also to have him get some wrong at times. I really am hopeful it is a challenge to him. I am not ashamed to admit that the calcudoku's he brought home yesterday from enrichment were a challenge to me...but surprisingly were not really too much of one for him. But I do think the olympiad problems will be. And if not, they can move him to the 5th grade team. : ) Hope you have a great year!

Edwin #87849 10/22/10 12:59 PM
    C
    C
    This is good news! We are going to be in this situation next year, except middle school is in the same building but different calendar and daily schedule, so every time I hear about another child straddling es and ms, I feel more confident about it.

Please keep us all posted how it goes!

Warning: sleep deprived
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM