Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 220 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Edwin #87622 10/19/10 04:03 PM
    Edwin,

Good luck with your meeting with the Super.

Cat

Edwin #87625 10/19/10 04:10 PM
    It's amazing that your Sup called Davidson - I hope your lucky streak continues!
    Grin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Edwin #87765 10/21/10 03:43 PM
    Edwin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Update: Met with the District Super and it went well. She has agreed to the subject skip to 6th grade MS math. She also called our rep at Davidson and spoke with her, I believe it was helpful. She has also just completed the book the Outliers, this also added to her process. She spoke directly with DS8 to make sure he was ok with everything, and let him know that if he wants to go back to ES and independent study he can. She also gave him her card if he ran into issues. She indicated that along each step of the way the ES, MS and district personal where correct in what they suggested. However she believes that any parent & student willing to keep pursuing this option should be given the chance.

Now the hard part, if this sticks it will mean that twice a day for the next two years I will pick him up at school drive him the 2 blocks to Middle School and then pick him up an hour later and return him. After that who knows. The odd part is not that the math will be too hard; I still think it may be too easy. But the work product, the writing will be more then DS is used to. So will just see how it goes. Thank you to everyone for your support, encouragement and advice. One other bit of good news DS8 was elected school treasurer.

Edwin #87768 10/21/10 03:59 PM
    Edwin - That's wonderful news! I love that the super gave your DS her card. Congrats to you and your DS on your advocacy.

And contgrats on DS being elected treasurer! Good day. smile

(Too bad about no transport provided by the school. But maybe if everything else works out, you can ease into that request.)

Edwin #87770 10/21/10 04:38 PM
    Edwin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    CFK Im ok with the driving, just whining. Two years ago we had him in a great school but the drive was about an hour each way and on a friday afternoon it could be as long as almost 2 hours. I work 5 minutes away and have flexable hours. I really do feel for the parents that drive long distances every day, or have had to move and/or change jobs to make things work for their children.

Edwin #87773 10/21/10 04:59 PM
    Congratulations on the win!

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Edwin #87774 10/21/10 05:14 PM
    Edwin,

Wonderful news! A big congrats to you and DS (on both the acceleration and the treasurer position).

I am fascinated by this reasoning however:

"She indicated that along each step of the way the ES, MS and district personal where correct in what they suggested. However she believes that any parent & student willing to keep pursuing this option should be given the chance."

So whether a child gets a proper education becomes purely a function of their parents' persistence. That is so illogical and frustrating, and harms children who have parents who do not have the resources (financial, psychological, intellectual) to pursue the fight. Sigh.

Still, great news for you and you should be proud you stuck with it.

Cat

Edwin #87779 10/21/10 06:17 PM
    Edwin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Cat, I thought that was an odd comment, maybe she wants to see a committed parent. I believe that at the school level that some requests may be odd, and should die on their own. While others need a little more persistence. I fully believe that they do not believe its in this students best interest overall, but they are willing to supersede their belief system and give it a chance. Especially if the parents are strongly on board.

Last edited by Edwin; 10/21/10 06:19 PM. Reason: Ran through spell check
    Catalana #87780 10/21/10 06:58 PM
    K
    K
    Edwin - congratulations on your successful advocacy. Hope your son enjoys!

Originally Posted by Catalana
    So whether a child gets a proper education becomes purely a function of their parents' persistence. That is so illogical and frustrating, and harms children who have parents who do not have the resources (financial, psychological, intellectual) to pursue the fight. Sigh.

This reasoning is the kind of thing that lead to homeschooling for us. Every child should be educated appropriate regardless of how many hoops a parent is willing to jump through and how loud they're willing to be. Many families just don't have the time or energy to fight long or hard enough to get results. I personally know kids who suffer for these reasons and it drives me crazy.

Edwin #87785 10/21/10 07:24 PM
    I
    I
    Thanks for sharing the good news Edwin!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM