Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    J
    J
    Seems like a false economy to me. They might save $700M in year one, but it's not like those kids with Sept-Nov birthdates will never go to school. They'll just go next year, and the savings will eventually disappear. And half of those "savings" will go to pre-K programs which we won't be able to fund as a result.

Val this was my response when trying to get DS into K early... the birthday rule is ridiculous in my opinion, as it saves NO money in the end. I just don't get where the benefit is from not using the calendar year.

In our district the cutoff is Sept 1, but school starts in early Aug. How does making the cutoff in September make sense?

F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Yeah its crazy. They even have the hour dictated on the policy here. Midnight on Sept. 15 and you are no longer eligible, but 11.59 Sept 14 and you are....

I
    I
    One of the comments on Unwrapping the Gifted was from a teacher who called it the "Nookie Method." laugh

A
    A
    Not sure where the op is located but in Texas there is a way to get around the No early entrance to K. You can enroll your child into Texas Tech ISD. They will accept any age into any grade level. I have heard of many parents enrolling their child into this program and then the following year having their child transferred into 1st grade. This was a transfer from one public school to another.

Just start asking around and you usually can find a loophole within the system.

Kathy-TEXAS

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM