Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Hi Flower, I am curious how you found out, neighbor chit-chat, school district web-site or calling your local elem.? You can get many different answers depending on the source. Even calling one school and then another! If you've only tried one source I would keep asking/looking around.

F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Hi everyone. I went to the elementary school department and met with the director. She happens to be the old principal of our neighborhood school and I had major run ins with her until I moved my older daughter to another school. I am sure she was delighted to tell me that I once again could not get what I wanted.

As far as the discrimination I was looking at it through the lens of resource access and denial being based on a false criteria. I do not know what it would take to fight the system and I know there are a few lawyers on this board. I believe Lucounu you are a lawyer so you may understand the whole discrimination aspect better than I. I don't have the money to pay someone. I was hoping to find a lawyer who worked specifically on discrimination issues and was part of a grassroots or non-profit agency that would be willing to look at the situation. Maybe its a crazy idea. Opps the baby wants me got to run.

K
    K
    I agree with lucounu. I don't think that you will be able to argue discrimination. If they have a bright line rule that they apply the same to everyone, I don't think that you have a legal argument.

Can you show harm or potential harm via the denial?

F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    uhm.... harm... I don't know about that one. It seems that maybe easy for us all to show (except the home-schoolers)! Smile.... Does anyone remember where the information about the woman in VT who is trying to change the VT policy came from. I can't remember if it was on this board or somewhere else that I read it.

N
    N
    I'm going to agree that this is not a matter of illegal discrimination. It is absolutely within the state government's purview to determine the age of the students it serves in public schools. As you have a few years yet, if you want to pursue it, I'd suggest talking to state legislators about providing an exception for gifted kids. smile

F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Thank you everyone for your replies. The teacher Tamara Fisher was interesting to read. I think those same remarks are in one of the books, maybe Genuis Denied. I can't remember. The lack of sleep of little ones just does in my memory. As far as widgets, its a cheap factory that allows even those widgets that don't fit the mold but made it through somehow as theirs to sell with no profit sharing! I feel motivated to do something but not sure just what yet..... Thanks for the support.

The Google query "site:davidsongifted.org/bb/ubbthreads.php vermont" found this...

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....7569/Changes_to_kindergarten_age_ru.html

... as well as some links to a kick-ass sounding program called NAPS. Maybe you can get your little one in there someday, and she can learn about Intelligent Design and solid rocket boosters and stuff. whistle

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Thanks for the link... I think from the link and a little research I may have tracked her down.. I'll have to wait and see.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    Though I live in Texas, a state that leaves it up to the districts, I have seen some of the districts take this approach. They will not allow early entrance to Kindergarten and no amount of tests will change their mind. And for the 1st grade requirement: our state is the same way. Only if the child comes from outside the state. BUT I do know that this does not mean that the child will not be able to advance to 1st grade when they enter Kindergarten. One friend of mine plans to send her DD to public school and her DD missed the cut off date by 2 days. She is a smart, mature little girl and was clearly ready for Kindergarten this year but the district will not even consider allowing her. They will, however, test her during the first 2 weeks of school (next year) to determine if she needs to skip to 1st grade.

So even though your state has the same 1st grade rules that ours does they might also allow for acceleration, bypassing Kindergarten.

This is how it is in our district. I live in GA. There was NO way around the K rule for DS6.5 (December birthday), but as soon as he was in K he was tested and moved to 1st.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM