Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 200 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 25 of 32 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 31 32
    M
    M
    DS6 will also be 7 in three weeks. And he's my youngest. How are they growing up so fast? cry

I'll add my Happy Birthday to all the other holiday babies!

My DS6 will be 7 next week, and he's my youngest, too. So, happy birthday to him and all the November/December kids!!

She thought she could, so she did.
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    DS6 will be 7 in 3 weeks. He's my oldest. So yes Happy Birthday to the holiday babies!

3 weeks for mine also (but he will be 8!!!!) And he's talking about how he is now "mature" and "going into 3rd grade." This is a first for us; an interest and excitement about his age. It's making me happy smile Happy Birthday to the rest of the holiday babies...it's a crazy fun time of year!

Happy birthday to all the upcoming birthday kids!

Mom2twoboys - I sigh with you. We don't have an issue with speed, but with legibility. DS's handwriting is atrocious, and after our recent conference, his teacher is sending home practice sheets.

Speaking of recent conference, it was awful. Well, the conference with the classroom teacher was OK, but the one with the gifted teacher was horrible. We thought that DS would be getting more advanced math this year, since last spring he did most of the 2nd grade curriculum. But no, he's pretty much doing it over again. I'm pretty sure that none of the gifted books say anything about how it's a really good idea for gifted kids to repeat classes. Grrr. And then we learned that the plan all along was for DS not to do 3rd grade math this year at all! They have been giving pretests and if DS "shows mastery" then he gets to go to the gifted coordinator. But he's getting enrichment there, not progressing. And if he doesn't "show mastery" he goes to the class for the whole unit. But he gets it right away (he just needs a little review - it was last year after all), and then he gets enrichment that comes with the curriculum. Which, did I mention, he also did last year.

But the good news is that DS is still at the top of his class even after his grade skip. So I feel good that we did the right thing with the skip.

V
    V
    Another December birthday here - my DS will be 7 in four weeks! Where DID the time go? Happy birthday to all the Holiday kids!

M
    M
    SPG: So sorry to hear about the conference and what's happening with math. It is so frustrating when you know your child should be getting taught something and school isn't providing it.

The best thing I can say so far about DS6's school move is that it meant that I could move DS8 into the paired school. DS8 had been doing fine, top of his class, in math, but no one was bothering to teach him to his potential. At his P-T conference at this new school, teacher told us that she's giving him 2 years of math and he's getting it right away. Presuming that he keeps going at the rate he has been, he'll be going to 6th grade math next year (he's currently in grade 3, but grade 4 math).

I've seen a huge change in him. He's SOOOO excited about school and math, in particular. I hope you can eventually get your school to do this. (That was a long way of saying that it really is worth it to keep pursuing!)

Hang in there.

DS will be 8 in a couple of weeks, can't believe how time flies!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by mom2twoboys
    Are any of you finding speed to be an issue even though your kids know the material?

At times. For some reason journal writing takes DS a long time at school. He has great handwriting and spelling and gets most of everything right the first time. At PT conference the teacher said that she has to really work with him on doing a rough and a final draft because he thinks his rough should be his final. She did say that they looked almost identical but she is trying to get him to revise and add more content and ideas. His thinking is "I got it right the first time, why am I doing it all over again" LOL. Anyhow, I think he goes slow because of that. Generally he is quick unless distracted or uninterested.

Happy B-day to all the holiday babies! My DS6 is a summer baby : )

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by shellymos
    She did say that they looked almost identical but she is trying to get him to revise and add more content and ideas. His thinking is "I got it right the first time, why am I doing it all over again" LOL. Anyhow, I think he goes slow because of that.

I'm not sure how it is with DS, but *I* was this way. I hated doing a final draft b/c my rough draft was "perfect"...

I'm going to have to watch it with DS now!

Page 25 of 32 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 31 32

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 04/16/24 10:53 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM