Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (aeh), 251 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 18 of 32 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 31 32
    N
    N
    My DYS-DS6 is in 1st grade, public school language immersion, with no acceleration or differentiation (so far) that we can tell... and he is happy as a clam! It is sort of freaky to see him hop out of the car with a wave and a cheerful "See you this afternoon!" (he was NEVER like this in preschool or K), but by golly the boy seems to be having a good time. The math is ridiculously basic; other parents besides me have been complaining about that; so we will keep our eyes on it and supplement as needed. It jarred my nerves to see phonics work coming home at the beginning of the year (he was reading the newspaper before he started K) -- but when I ask if it's boring, he says no. He does other reading in class, it seems, and all in the second language. So: academically he might not progress a lot except in 2nd language fluency (which is not a small thing), but socially he is doing GREAT (also not a small thing for our DS).

Just wanted to post that there is at least one very gifted kid out there who is doing well in public school without any special accommodations, besides the new language. smile

Oh, and the school's gifted coordinator knows all about him, and I have no doubt she will be a big help if we need to do something about the academics going forward. If nothing else, she is very good at reassuring anxious parents of HG-PG kids. <grin>

N
    N
    Originally Posted by NCmom
    Just wanted to post that there is at least one very gifted kid out there who is doing well in public school without any special accommodations, besides the new language. smile

My ds7 (2nd grade) isn't DYS, but he's another one who just loves school, and doesn't get bored with the easy work. He does go to 3rd grade math 4 times a week, and to the gifted program for a few hours one day a week, but otherwise, he is quite happy plodding along doing whatever the teacher asks of him. Long may it last !!!! smile

Last edited by NCPMom; 10/01/10 04:55 PM.
    Originally Posted by shellymos
    At one point DS6 whined to me and said he was thirsty and I told him "wait til it's over and you can get a drink from the fountain."
    Do you have concerns that he will begin to feel like a "superstar" at school and expect or come to 'need' the attention from others? If they really do treat him like one of their own, then maybe you won't have that issue.

My ds 6 has recently started reacting differently to this special treatment that people give him. I've noticed that he has a tendency now to share his knowledge with others in a way that seems to me to be for the purpose of impressing them. This new reaction is very subtle and no one else would probably notice it, but I see it as a big change and it concerns me. Then again, maybe he's doing it because he believes that people are genuinely interested in hearing about his natural history museum. wink

Then DS6 kept his hand out and every student in the class said bye to him by name and gave him a high five. And all seemed genuine in the whole thing. It was a strange thing to see, but kind of cool.

That's really great! Good for him. I would love to see that happen with mine... though we are still working on him actually making contact with the other person's hand when doing a high-five! crazy

M
    M
    Shellymos and NCPMom: Great to hear how well things are going.

Shellymos: DS had a similar experience at camp over the summer. He was in a bball camp with all older kids. They treated him like a superstar and he TOTALLY loved it!

Greetings!

Okay, I just had to come over here and share our big news today. Nothing academic, but 'big' all the same.

*drumroll*

My almost-7-y/o son learned to swing today. Ta-da!

I noticed last week that he almost had it, and I was impressed with his progress. Afterward, he commented that the 5 y/o next to him was able to swing. That was the first time that he seemed concerned that someone, esp. a younger someone!, was doing something that he was unable to do.

Maybe last week's incident spurred him on or something. Today he was swinging with two female friends and he was suddenly able to start off, get himself going, and keep himself going...

Well, at least until he let go and fell off backward. He got up whimpering and he stated that "some invisible force" had pulled him off. LOL I said, "Yes, that invisible force is called gravity!" He insisted that it was some other force that he didn't know existed until just then. wink

Okay, that's my praise for the day. Bicycle, here we come!

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    That's great! It amazes me how much just getting over that first hesitation with our perfectionists clears the path to much greater things!

N
    N
    Originally Posted by Mom2MrQ
    Okay, that's my praise for the day. Bicycle, here we come!

Let us know how the bike goes !! My 7 year old hasn't ridden his bike since he finally got it figured out a couple of months ago, so we're probably back to square one with him - maybe this weekend we'll get a chance to get him back on the wheels and see what happens !!

Last edited by NCPMom; 10/06/10 06:34 PM.
    N
    N
    I let my son's 2nd grade teacher know that I have started him on EPGY math at home to supplement his 3rd grade math. She e-mailed me back asking about it, so I tried to explain why we're doing it, but think I failed miserably. We have conferences at the end of the month, should I print out some of the reports from EPGY to take along ? I don't know if his 3rd grade math teacher will even be there - she has a baby a couple of weeks ago who is still sick in the NICU, so I haven't even mentioned it to her. Maybe I shouldn't have even mentioned it ?

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Mom2MrQ
    Originally Posted by shellymos
    At one point DS6 whined to me and said he was thirsty and I told him "wait til it's over and you can get a drink from the fountain."
    Do you have concerns that he will begin to feel like a "superstar" at school and expect or come to 'need' the attention from others? If they really do treat him like one of their own, then maybe you won't have that issue.

Not really worried about that, but you never know. We will bring him back down if he gets too high and mighty, Lol. He is confident, but doesn't at all try to stand out with his gifts and talents. He would rather blend in. I wouldn't say he is hiding things completely, but doesn't at all willingly share or bring things up. I think the kids treat him normal. Most of the adults do too...but the water bottle thing did annoy me. He should wait to get a drink just like everybody else does. He needs special services for Math and some other subjects. But doesn't need special seats and special water, etc. ; ) But I am not complaining though because he is getting the services he needs.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by NCPMom
    I let my son's 2nd grade teacher know that I have started him on EPGY math at home to supplement his 3rd grade math. She e-mailed me back asking about it, so I tried to explain why we're doing it, but think I failed miserably. We have conferences at the end of the month, should I print out some of the reports from EPGY to take along ? I don't know if his 3rd grade math teacher will even be there - she has a baby a couple of weeks ago who is still sick in the NICU, so I haven't even mentioned it to her. Maybe I shouldn't have even mentioned it ?

I don't think it was a mistake to mention it at all. It shouldn't be a big deal. I would bring the reports along but not show it to her unless she asks. Schools generally like to do their own testing and assessments. Do you feel the 3rd grade curriculum is challenging enough for him in school? What I mean is, are you asking for something different or are you just supplementing with that at home?

Page 18 of 32 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 31 32

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM