Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 17 of 32 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 31 32
    So, last night DD6 (first grade) got bored with her homework and made up answers in some "trial based" math work (counting the number of heads and tails). We had a long talk about honesty and we redid the fake trials. I then worked with her to extend the lesson by graphing her trials and the looking at the distribution of permutations.

I've emailed her teacher for guidance on extending the lessons at home so this doesn't happen again.

On the flip side, she also got really into the book she brought home for reading. I let her stay up a bit late to read.

Thoughts?

Maryann

M
    M
    Maryann,

I think what you did was the right thing. Let us know what the teacher says.

The teacher was really good about it and made some suggestions for extending stuff at home. She said that maybe she (the teacher) hadn't explained the lesson well enough so the kids would understand why they were doing it. She also pointed out that if DD "really" got the lesson, we wouldn't have known the trials were made up. She had come up with the same possible, but *least* likely answers for all 8 trials.

I agreed with this last point but, as I told the teacher, I was loathe to tell my daughter how to hide things from me. The graph we made did show that her made-up answers never happened in actual trials. That was as close as I could get.

The teacher also used the opportunity to ask other things about DD and her other areas of strength & weakness. Specifically she asked if I had any ideas why DD avoids writing and focuses on drawing pictures to convey her thoughts.

M
    M
    Maybe, just Maybe this new school will actually work out! DS came home w/a second list of spelling words this week. I e-mailed the teacher who told me that b/c he's been acing his spelling test, she thought he could use more challenging words. ;-) ...

I think the new list is still too easy for him, but at least the teacher is noticing!

C
    C
    Originally Posted by mom2twoboys
    Maybe, just Maybe this new school will actually work out! DS came home w/a second list of spelling words this week. I e-mailed the teacher who told me that b/c he's been acing his spelling test, she thought he could use more challenging words. ;-) ...

I think the new list is still too easy for him, but at least the teacher is noticing!
    Excellent! I hope you emailed a positive word (or smilie!) in return, so the teacher realises you're with her, not complaining about him getting extra work.

We're meeting the head of DS6's school this afternoon - at his request, so not completely sure what's on the agenda. More later... ETA: since I'm still last in thread, I'll put it here: turns out the main point on the agenda was to explain why they don't think he should skip - which is fine, we don't either, on the whole, although we're glad to see it's something they're thinking about. Also, yay, that the head will take DS and another very mathy child for challenging maths with him. All is good, I think. DS is happy so far.

Last edited by ColinsMum; 09/29/10 12:06 PM.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    S
    S
    I went to DS6's 4th grade school for a presentation today (he is part in 2nd and part in 4th at 2 different schools). On the way in I felt a little weird because I almost felt that staff was treating me like my DS6 was a celebrity. The principal told me that she loves him and wishes she could take him home with her, and then acknowledged that she knows that may be a little weird for me to hear (lol). Then his math teacher came and talked about how great he is doing and showed me his first math test with a 96%. And his math coordinator sat next to DS during this math presentation and was telling him how proud she was of him because of his test grade. At one point DS6 whined to me and said he was thirsty and I told him "wait til it's over and you can get a drink from the fountain." The math coordinator got up and went accross the room and got a bottle of water out of her bag and gave it to him! Then my favorite part, was after the whole presentation was over he was leaving to go back to his other school and one of the students in his class said by to him and then he gave DS6 a high five. Then DS6 kept his hand out and every student in the class said bye to him by name and gave him a high five. And all seemed genuine in the whole thing. It was a strange thing to see, but kind of cool. You can tell they all like eachother. He has only been in this class for 2 weeks now and the teacher says they have really accepted him and treat him normal. Although the whole high 5 thing may say otherwise, LOL. Anyhow, strange but kind of cool. Still a little worried that it may not be challenging enough in 4th grade, but he seems to be enjoying it as the first unit was some new geometry stuff for him that he had not been exposed to...and he loved using his compass and protractor.

shellymos - That's awesome news! It amazes me how mature your DS6 is. That's so wonderful that he's fitting in so well with the 4th graders.

colinsmum - any updates on the meeting?

C
    C
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    colinsmum - any updates on the meeting?
    Not since the ETA I put in my post, but maybe you didn't see that? He's not going up (yet), but he is going to get maths problem solving with the head and another mathy child, which is excellent. And he's happy, and not apparently bored, and learning a fair bit of maths and science recreationally at home. So we're in the "for now it's going really well and let's be grateful we have a good school" pile!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    shellymos - That's awesome news! It amazes me how mature your DS6 is. That's so wonderful that he's fitting in so well with the 4th graders.

Thanks! Lol about the mature part. He is quite mature in some aspects, but he still can be quite a goofball and act quite immature in other settings. I think him being with older kids helps him to not act as crazy because I think he knows that 4th graders wouldn't think it was funny. But you should see him with his 3yo sister, she is generally much more mature then him when they get together. smile

I
    I
    Great news, ColinsMum and shellymos!

I am so happy to read about both of your sons doing so well!

Page 17 of 32 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 31 32

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM