Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    I know of at least one kid who didn't screen gifted but was privately tested in EG/PG range.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    My psychologist friend gave DD9 the WASI yesterday. He had been planning on giving her the new SB to get more experience with it, but he changed his mind. I think during the car ride on the way over he realized how verbal she was and that the WISC would be better. I don't know why he didn't give her the full WISC, but he did mention that if she has a test at school it would be the WISC and he didn't want to give her the same thing.

Anyway, I have forgotten some of the specifics (I've emailed him to find out), but her verbal score was in the 99th percentile (140 if I remember correctly). Her lowest of the four subtests was block design, but she was still in the 90th percentile on that. She does appear to have a verbal/performance discrepancy, and the psych did mention that visual tasks were harder for her. I can't remember her FSIQ right now. I was just glad to hear the 140 verbal number!

Although this was a quick estimate, it does justify what DH and I have said about DD9 all along--that she's verbally gifted.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    He said the subtests were similar but not identical and that retesting shouldn't be an issue.

He said we would get back together and discuss it in greater detail. I think he will at the very least give me a copy of the resuls. Hopefully, I can push him for a little more.

He also said that after the testing he talked with DD about general test-taking strategies and what to expect from a full assessment. Even though it was a short assessment, he seemed to have her pegged by the end of it. He picked up on her habit of second-guessing herself on items with which she's not as comfortable. I told him about her 110 on the NNAT, and he said the second-guessing could have contributed. The weird thing is that she scored in the superior range on the matrix part of the WASI. She was much more comfortable with him than she was at the school screening, though.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks! I agree with you about not believing the silly things the school says. I think that in the last 24 hours I've gone from elated to irritated (at the school).

Yes, this definitely makes me want to do full testing. I just don't know what the best course of action is at this point. The school doesn't accept outside testing for GATE placement, but they will consider it as a referral. Since DD was screened in the fall, she is supposed to wait a year to be screened again. I'm sure this is so the aptitude portion will be valid. Maybe they would go ahead and give her the WISC based on her WASI score? She also takes the OLSAT this spring, and I know the school will argue that I wait for that. If DD qualifies automatically with the OLSAT, great. If we go ahead and do the WISC testing now and the school needs to do further testing after the OLSAT, we might have a retesting issue.

Maybe the psych will have some advice.

((frustration noise))
    Just thought I'd add a little music for you to spin your head to!

Frankly, I think that once you have a little bitin writing from your psychologist friend, you are in position to go to the Principle and become a crying lump in her office. This is just ridiculous. Again, if you had a happy child waiting would be fine,(maybe) but you don't - you've been a good girl long enough, I think it's time to be a squeaky, and wet, wheel!

Does you school do WISC testing for kids who screen into the gifted program? If so, ask them to start the WISC now based on your preliminary results and her need. Tell them that your little one needs help NOW, not 'in the spring' - which turns into next year. Tell them Grinity said so, ((LOL))

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    DH and I have been talking a lot since Sunday about how we should handle this. Fighting the system is so complicated, and we want to do it the right way. What's worse, DD has been having stomach aches and not wanting to go to school. She swears nothing's wrong, but DH and I think differently...

Yes, our school system uses the WISC and SB, depending on the kid's strengths. I have no doubt they would use the WISC on DD. I think it's pretty much their standard test unless a kid shows great visual or mathematical strengths.

Hi Pink,

Sorry to hear what is going on with DD. Fighting the system is very complicated. Why don't you think in terms or working with them to solve the situation.
    Any success I've had so far is with the: let's work together approach. For sure, I'm still in the middle of things, we're not out of the woods either.
    I have an HG kindergartener who thinks she is stupid because K teacher doesn't think she is special. Yesterday she announced it is really K teacher who is stupid, but she still likes her. smile

Could you get people behind you to help with talks at the school. The stomache ache thing is a big deal. We were just at the pediatrician's and there is actually a medical term for kids who have stomache aches because of discomfort at school. Of course I can't remember the name of it!
    If you tell the school, look, my child is so upset at school she is having physical symtoms, something needs to change, let's have a meeting......Hopefully that is a good place to start.

What about you friend that is the psychologist friend? Could he/she help you.

You can get a lawyer and people have been successful doing that. If it came down to it, and I exhausted all my options and alternative schooling wasn't an option either, I would get a lawyer too.

But what can be done before now and then?

I think a school will respond better if they understand the child is not doing well emotionally because they are not being challenged. For some kids I believe it literally hurts to be bored.
    I don't think they are as understanding when they think we are supercompetitive moms setting unrealistic expectations for our children because we are tied to our children's success in an unhealthy way. Unfortunately this is a common misconception.

Or, they just read that awful book Dottie spoke about.

You'll never know unless you get in there and get your hands a little dirty.

We are cheering for you Pink, whatever you do.

Incog

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    Sorry to hear what is going on with DD. Fighting the system is very complicated. Why don't you think in terms or working with them to solve the situation.
    Any success I've had so far is with the: let's work together approach. For sure, I'm still in the middle of things, we're not out of the woods either.
    Incog

Thanks, Incog! Yes, I definitely think the "work with" approach is the way to go. DH and I have decided that however we decide to handle it, we at least need to sit down with them and let them know about the info we have and how we feel. A good heart-to-heart is definitely in order. DD's teacher has been such a supporter that I have no doubt she's on our side. I have mixed feelings about getting my psych friend involved in something messy, but if he's willing, then okay.

The stomach ache thing actually started with headaches and then evolved into both. After several doctor visits and an MRI, the pediatrician concluded it's migraines, which can manifest themselves abdominally in kids. The funny thing is, she had NO symptoms over Christmas break.

Originally Posted by pinkpanther
    The stomach ache thing actually started with headaches and then evolved into both. After several doctor visits and an MRI, the pediatrician concluded it's migraines, which can manifest themselves abdominally in kids. The funny thing is, she had NO symptoms over Christmas break.

Heart to Heart is just right! My best friend in HS, who I loved for his recitals of Monty Python skits, was also the class Validictorian, and had ulcers in high school as well. He said at the time it was because of all the pressure he put on himself. Look back I have to wonder if his perfectionism wasn't a result of years of being in a poor fit classroom and never having been taught at his 'readiness level.' Even though he has done well in life (I hear from my Mom) the price just seems so unnescessarily high! According to his mom, he would have liked to ask me out romantically, but didn't have the nerve...would elementary level experience with taking on tough challenges and overcoming them have given him the self esteem to do that? The world will never know.

So Pink - take heart! Your daughter is 'acting in' where my son used to 'act out' but the message is the same: "Help!" Please take this with the same seriousness of purpose you would if your DD were biting kids and throwing chairs - because her inner pain is the inner-directed eqivalent, ok? Her school really really needs to know about this, in all it's ugly details.

((hugs and pats))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I agree wholeheartedly. Whether it's migraines, stomaches aches or "I'm the dumbest one in class."
    It is a cry for help and the onice is on us to fix it.
    I think the school will listen.
    Migraines are often stress induced.
    I get migraines, they stink. I also tend to get them when I'm not sleeping well. Also, can be stress related.
    Look around the school. Are there special needs kids getting their needs met?
    I see all kinds of kids get one on one teacher time for HOURS per day because spanish is their first language and they need to learn English to learn. That's great, I love to see the school providing this service, I think they should.
    And I'm not shy about asking for special services for my special children if/when they need it.

Incog

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM