Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    A
    I LOVE that you had this added to his IEP - that is fantastic!
    Originally Posted by eema
    His IEP actually says that teachers have to accept unconventional answers, but some of the teachers are so narrow in their thinking that they think his answers are wrong, rather than different.

Eema,
    I think that you are seeing a combination of things -
    IF your son is 2e/HG or 2e/PG then yes, he will look quite different than the MG kids.

If your cultural background or family politics are not the norm for your area, then your DS's insights might sound more 'far out' than they actually are.

It is always possible that the 2es themselves help in thinking outside the box. I've always thought of myself as an 'outside the box' thinker - my joke about it is: of course I'm outside the box - frankly I couldn't even find the box in the first place.

-OR-
    This might be your son's greatest strength. He might be the equivalent of 'Calculus in 4th grade' at asking questions and seeing things from many perspectives. Your son might be more MG in other areas.

My son often gets compliments on 'asking good questions' even when he is among groups of only PG kids. I have no idea where he gets it from. (Wink)

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Thanks EEma,
    Unfortunately, I have had most of my colleagues fall into the category of being intimidated by students like this. It is usually because the teacher is teaching out of their subject area, or as Grinity suggests, have so little exposure to other ways of thinking and experiences than what is right around them that they can't cope with out of the box thinking.
    I think one reason I love these sorts of kids is because I was one of them when I was in school, and then living outside of the US for 11 years opened my eyes to an incredible amount of new and different ways of thinking.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    of course I'm outside the box - frankly I couldn't even find the box in the first place.

Lol grinity! Yes, where is the box? What box?

Back to your regular programming...

Originally Posted by Iucounu
    Such problem-solving skills should be testable, although I don't know whether most or any current IQ tests would test for them. What you describe seems to be a particular type of skill that I'm good at, holding a large amount of problem-domain and other knowledge in one's head and making connections.

Great explanation. I think its also called constructive imagination. I like the more romantic "Lucid Dream shaping" as another term for it.

I also like Boyd's essay on creativity.

http://www.thecepblog.com/2009/02/09/destruction-and-creation-by-john-r-boyd/

To comprehend and cope with our environment we develop mental patterns or concepts of meaning. The purpose of this paper is to sketch out how we destroy and create these patterns to permit us to both shape and be shaped by a changing environment. In this sense, the discussion also literally shows why we cannot avoid this kind of activity if we intend to survive on our own terms. The activity is dialectic in nature generating both disorder and order that emerges as a changing and expanding universe of mental concepts matched to a changing and expanding universe of observed reality. - John R. Boyd.

Last edited by Austin; 09/21/10 03:09 PM.
    Originally Posted by kcab
    Thinking "differently" makes me think of divergent thinking

kcab, when I read this line I got a lump in my throat. This was exactly my problem as a student! It embarrassed me and I believed it bothered the teachers. I became a class mute because of this. I hope it doesn't hold back any of our children in any way.

Kerry, I'm sending you a cyber hug.

Seablue - thanks I need one today

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM