Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 166 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #86108 09/28/10 08:08 AM
    OP Offline
    I think we came up with a compromise, tomorrow DD9 is going to attend 5th grade classes for one day. She is going to get books, a schedule, and do everything the 5th graders do. Then we will see if she likes it or not. I'm hoping she knows some people in this class as she has said she does have some friends that are in 5th grade.

They aren't willing to test her. I'll just have to find the money to do it myself I guess. Gifted education is mandated by West Virginia and is allotted as part of special education. Also found out they don't have anything for a pull out program in this county. One teacher for gifted children for the entire county.

Also found out DD9 is...hold on to your seats...disorganized. Like I told my Mom, her mind is on a hundred different things, not putting up her chair at the end of the day. Bless her heart she comes by it honestly so we will be working harder to get her organized especially tonight since she is attending the new class tomorrow.

Also that she was socially a little backwards per her teacher, which is not like her, so they were worried about putting her in 5th grade, that she might not fit in. Apparently she spent all her time reading and not socializing, which just started changing recently as she is making more friends who are more like her and they are pushing each other in math (loving that part). Normally she is our social butterfly in the house. Its funny to me that a teacher would think that reading in school is backwards.

Well at least we have our start. If she likes it tomorrow then we can continue to keep her in 5th next week. If not then she can stay in 4th.

The impossible is just something that hasn't happened yet.
    K
    K
    Sad that there isn't even a pull out program in a state that "mandates" gifted ed. It sounds like you and the school are working with what you have. Hope that it goes well.

T
    T
    WOW Awesome GOOD LUCK!!

M
    M
    Sounds like a great option! Celebrate those successes as they come!

You may also want to read up on the mandates of your state. It took me a year and a half to realize that my district was actually pointing me in the wrong direction, telling me out right lies and passing along information they thought was correct because they didn't know the actual policies themselves. My mandated state has over 25 different policy letters, bulletins and handbooks concerning gifted education so I can't really blame them for not knowing them. Once I read through the sometimes 96 pages of lawyer speak though, I found that the district does in fact support what I'm asking for. It's just that no one ever pushed for it before.

So with the help of suggestions from people on this forum, I'm the one pushing for something that will change the way gifted education is handled in my district!

Keep moving forward!!

OP Offline
    But how do you go about going forward and changing local gifted education? I'm a Registered Nurse, not a professional child educator. Where does one start? Do I write the district and hold them accountable to the mandates of the state?

The impossible is just something that hasn't happened yet.
    Because your state is a mandated gifted state you have more in your favor. Check for a state gifted organization. I would definitely contact them and see what can be done and if your district is meeting the requirements set by the state.

http://www.wvgifted.org/advocacy.html

I have communicated with my state's chapter and they seem to know the ins and outs of each district.

M
    M
    Adrienne, I'm not going to lie. It's been a tough road and I'm a certified teacher with lots of experience and understanding of the system. I just keep remembering the saying, "How do you eat an elephant?". Answer - one bite at a time.

So I take one issue a year as my "battle to the end" issue. Once I get that, I celebrate my success and let that issue go for the year with as minimum questioning of their techniques as possible. So if they let yours into the 5th grade class that is a huge success!

Once I get my success, I start researching for my next years question. Maybe next year you want to tweek what they are doing with the acceleration or add 1/2 and hour of organization time. Either way you have to speak their language to get what you want.

Suggestions to get started... I keep a binder with each years information in it. For example, under 1st grade I have all my notes for the meeting, a summary of their responses. I have samples of what he's doing at home & school, test scores, EPGY levels, relevant notes from state laws and books on gifted education.

Since your state is mandated you can go to your states board of education site. I did a quick search and you may start with this bulletin http://wvde.state.wv.us/policies/p2419.doc It's a 139 page document outlining policy for exceptional students in your state. This seems to be the policy page in general http://wvde.state.wv.us/policies/ Remember many states have at least a dozen different policy documents that cover gifted.

I just ended up reading all the policies on everything. Not the most efficent method and at least I knew I didn't miss anything.

Then after reading the state laws, I went to my district regulations. I question anything I don't understand via email to the head of the department of gifted educaiton. Document, document, document. Then I ask for what I want the next year and qoute the responses they have given me and the actual policy that applys. I'm finding their answers and policy are totally different. It's just that no one ever takes the time to read all the info and fight for what they want.

You can do it one bite at a time! Hope the document links above help smile

Originally Posted by Momma Bear
    Since your state is mandated you can go to your states board of education site. I did a quick search and you may start with this bulletin http://wvde.state.wv.us/policies/p2419.doc It's a 139 page document outlining policy for exceptional students in your state. This seems to be the policy page in general http://wvde.state.wv.us/policies/ Remember many states have at least a dozen different policy documents that cover gifted.

I just ended up reading all the policies on everything. Not the most efficent method and at least I knew I didn't miss anything.

Then after reading the state laws, I went to my district regulations. I question anything I don't understand via email to the head of the department of gifted educaiton. Document, document, document. Then I ask for what I want the next year and qoute the responses they have given me and the actual policy that applys. I'm finding their answers and policy are totally different. It's just that no one ever takes the time to read all the info and fight for what they want.

You can do it one bite at a time! Hope the document links above help smile

Excellent post.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM