Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 91 of 268 1 2 89 90 91 92 93 267 268
    DS: "Are we allies with Russia?"
    Me: "No, but we are at peace with them."
    DS: "So we have a non-aggression pact with them?"

(We are currently watching "The World At War", and he has no idea yet of the post-WWII history of the region, so he just calls it Russia.)

He has come up with a bunch of interesting ideas for military inventions while watching, including adaptive camouflage and self-entrenching tanks. smile

Last edited by Iucounu; 09/25/10 08:26 PM.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    If my new (overdue) baby is a girl (we didn't find out) we're considering naming her Esperanza (Spanish for Hope). �My almost 3yr. old has said the name correctly, but the other day he changed it to Este-panza. �Same syllables and it rhymes so-Brag! he's learning from his phonics and he made up a funny joke! �Groan! �He's already picking on the new baby and it's not even born yet. �"este panza" means the belly. �

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Dd4 is doing really well with her k curriculum, it seems to be a good fit, and there is little complaining about getting up and going, so I think that is a great sign!
    I don't even know what to make of this, though: I read every night to her, all kinds of things, but in the last 2 months her only pick has been books on space. One night having run out of 8-10 year old books on space, I grabbed my dh's old college astronomy text and read for a while on Jupiter, etc. Figured she wasn't even listening because she didn't object and then eventually fell asleep.
    So I have been picking up more kid books from the used store here and there, but found a really great one on the history of the revolution in thinking about the solar system starting with Copernicus and going from there, not a kid book. I was reading along, and I thought, oh no way is she even listening, so I stopped, and immediately she says 'Keep reading!!'. Like, no way is she getting a lot of this, but who really knows??

L
    L
    My 12 year old twice exceptional son with disabilities that cause mild muscle weakness and low endurance made it through a musical theater rehearsal, a performance at a church and a performance at the state fair after walking a quarter mile to get to where they had to perform in the heat. He had very little time to rest in between practice and performances but he did it. He did all of the songs and dances and he did them well, especially his solo "Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile." He didn't appear to be having any problems at all even though he was wearing a suit coat and layers of clothing underneath because there was no dressing room for costume changes.

His pretty young homeschool co-op writing composition teacher who also teaches dance just happened to be there because her dance group was scheduled to perform after my son's musical theater group. She saw him perform and told him she really enjoyed the performance. It is easy to see why he is willing to do more writing for her than for me.

He made it through a physically challenging six hours and did well but he paid for it later. He knows that is the price he has to pay. That is the price he has to pay to be with kids who are more like him mentally, musically, and socially. He did not have the energy to walk around the fair after the performance. His foot pain was worse and he got a really bad headache so he missed out on seeing the fair this year. He had to walk the quarter mile back to the car stopping to rest a couple of times when he absolutely had to and by the time he got there the muscles in one of his feet were trembling which happens when he does too much. He felt bad that we didn't get to do anything at the fair and thought we might be mad at him because we didn't get to see it either.

He got home and had to put on his very uncomfortable scoliosis brace. His back and legs and feet hurt. Ibuprofen only helps a little. He can't use a heating pad on his back because of the brace.

We have lots of pictures and videos. He looked happy while he was on stage and with his friends. I hope when he looks at these pictures years from now he can forget about the pain and just remember the fun he had with his friends, his musical theater "family."

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Congratulations La Texican! She's beautiful.

L
    L
    My 12-year-old homeschooled, verbally gifted, 2E son who has SPD, hypotonia, dyspraxia and motor dysgraphia, and also wears an uncomfortable scoliosis brace when clothing tags used to bother him, and also gets frequent migraines, got his first assignment back in his homeschool 7th-9th grade co-op writing composition class. It was his very first real grade since we homeschooled after he finished kindergarten and it was his first graded work by a professional teacher in a class that I thought he might have trouble with because of his dysgraphia and absolutely no experience with creative writing.

He made an A+. Her comments were "Yikes! Scary Story. Good job building up the suspense." He had made only one small punctuation error.

He turned in his second story yesterday and I think it is even better than the first. He discovered that he really can do well with creative writing if he types and is not slowed down by his mild disability. We had lunch with another homeschool mom who is a writer for our local newspaper. She looked at his second assignment and thought it was really good. She told she remembered having trouble writing fast enough to keep up with her thoughts and it was so much easier to do once she was allowed to type. I will never understand why some teachers don't want to allow this type of accommodation for kids with handwriting disabilities.

My son also finished the five pages of grammar worksheets she assigned, some of them at the very last minute in class during a break, and found that when his right hand started cramping he could write with his left hand.

L
    L
    One more small brag. My 2E son, who hadn't been in classes with age mates since kindergarten, noticed in his homeschool co-op state history class that none of the other kids in this class read very well when asked to read out loud in front of the class from state travel guides written at an adult level. My son read as if he were reading his lines at a musical theater audition and he is much easier to listen to because of it. He seems very comfortable speaking in front of a group of people. Most of the other kids had to stop and sound out words that he has been reading for years. But he also notices that his map coloring skills are not as good as theirs and it takes longer for him to write anything in class.

MAE Offline
    Congratulations La Texican - she's gorgeous!

La Texican, congratulations!

Today at his after-kindergarten daycare, DS5 was helping the facility owner's daughter do her fourth-grade math homework. Here's hoping that the public school admins see their way clear to a grade skip to first. whistle We will know by October 15th.

Last edited by Iucounu; 09/29/10 12:47 AM.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Page 91 of 268 1 2 89 90 91 92 93 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM