Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 20 of 22 1 2 18 19 20 21 22
    O
    O
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    DH never really believed that it wasn't somehow all my fault that I was somehow using the machine incorrectly, so I not only was frustrated with the machine, but I resent it too.

My DH thought our vaccum cleaner and cell phone issues were my fault too. LOL I kept kidding DH he should go work for the vaccum repair shop. I'm sure I don't have bad chemistry that makes appliance have troubles. He seems to want to not believe things are broke or a problem so he doesn't have to fix/replace it. I think he may also feel bad that he is not providing for his family so he deflects the blame. Just to let you know you are not alone in this.

O
    O
    Originally Posted by GeoMamma
    Any tips for decluttering and organizing when

a) It's craft supplies and you are a home educating ex-teacher

When I get to my basement here's my dream plan. Buy a cabinet that locks up for art supplies. The kids leave our current storage a mess. Have clear boxes labeled and organized.

I would designate storage/selves for each activity and pass on what does not fit. This is hard, but this has helped me with my kids toys. If you don't have much space go as tall as you can with shelves.

There are some organizing magazines that maybe inspirational.

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/28/10 03:47 AM.
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    DH never really believed that it wasn't somehow all my fault that I was somehow using the machine incorrectly,

He seems to want to not believe things are broke or a problem so he doesn't have to fix/replace it. I think he may also feel bad that he is not providing for his family so he deflects the blame. Just to let you know you are not alone in this.
    Thanks OTG!
    I do feel less alone - and thanks for the wisdom about the deflecting blame issue, that gives me something to think about that I had missed.

My DH also is hard to get started on the fix/replace actions. I think of it as executive issues.

One kind of executive function is noticing that there is a problem.

A seperate issue is getting started on fixing.

Maintaining focus while fixing is a seperate strength.

Sparing a little bit of attention to keep checking that it's a good idea to continue the job you started out to do is a forth executive function.

So a person can be good at one, two, three or four of these executive functions. DH agrees that since he is good at maintaining focus until the job is done, he's a little extra reluctant to notice problems in the first place, since he dreads all that maintaning focus that he knows will enevitably follow noticing.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    The dungeon is proving more difficult than I had imagined. Any tips for decluttering and organizing when

b) Half the stuff is in scattered in several different places

c) Every time your toddler goes in there he wants to eat the cat food smile

??

Can you put the cat food 'up high' where the toddler won't get it?

As for the scattered stuff, I agree that this is frustrating. That's why it didn't get that way overnight and we can't fix it overnight. I would try to divide the room into zones so that you can feel some sense of accomplishment. No matter how you tackle this big job, you will succeed if you stay with it. Ah babysteps! Feel welcome to keep posting here so we can cheer you on.

I sort of divide my messes into catagories like this:
    First I like to get rid of the garbage that no one could possibly use. After I've done that for enough days, I can move around in the room.

Then I look for important minimesses that I can carry to a different part of the house so that I don't have to say in the dungeon to clean and organize - 30 minutes at a time.

After a bit of that I look over the storage shelves that I already have and try and notice if I 'need it, love it' or if whatever is one those shelves for 'someday' could go to bless someone else. Usually there is because 'suprise, suprise' me from last year isn't perfect about predicting what this year's me will still be interested in. I think it's only perfectionism to think that last year's me should be able to do that in the first place.

Then I can place some of the newly organized mini-ex-messes on the storage shelves. Yippee!

Then it's just carefully looking at each thing in the room and being willing to ask myself the magic questions. I haven't yet found a situation where something that I truly love and need hasn't had some place to go.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Hooray for taking on a job that seems so huge. Babysteps will see it through.

So, to answer out of order:
    b) Half the stuff is in scattered in several different places
    Get it all in the same place. If you want to start with clear containers first, so much the better, but just move it all together.

c) Every time your toddler goes in there he wants to eat the cat food smile
    Don't worry about it. Cat food won't hurt him smile our DD ate the cat food too. We just got upset when she decided to put all the cat food in their water bowl. It becomes inedible quickly.
    a) It's craft supplies and you are a home educating ex-teacher
    Good luck! I have a hard enough time with my weaving supplies. A wire rack/shelf and see through tubs (WITH LIDS) really helped me. If the lid doesn't fit, get a larger container or an annex container smile

Sometimes I feel like I need to take my own advice. wink

Maryann

O
    O
    [quote=Grinity
    My DH also is hard to get started on the fix/replace actions. I think of it as executive issues.

One kind of executive function is noticing that there is a problem.

A seperate issue is getting started on fixing.

Maintaining focus while fixing is a seperate strength.

Sparing a little bit of attention to keep checking that it's a good idea to continue the job you started out to do is a forth executive function.

So a person can be good at one, two, three or four of these executive functions. DH agrees that since he is good at maintaining focus until the job is done, he's a little extra reluctant to notice problems in the first place, since he dreads all that maintaning focus that he knows will enevitably follow noticing.

Smiles,
    Grinity[/quote]

Grinity - You are so funny. Thanks for the laugh. I have to admit that many times I write LOL and I just think somethings funny but this time I really laughed.

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/28/10 04:26 PM.
    Thanks everyone, it's good to have the extra motivation. I have already thrown out a garbage bag ful of rubbish smile Very proud of me.

Usually there is because 'suprise, suprise' me from last year isn't perfect about predicting what this year's me will still be interested in. I think it's only perfectionism to think that last year's me should be able to do that in the first place.

I like that, I'll have to remember it.

I also like onthegomom's idea of allocating space and what doesn't fit can't be kept. We are really short on space so that may have to happen.

And I'm going to try to get some clear plactic containers tommorrow.

Thanks. smile

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    Grinity - You are so funny. Thanks for the laugh. I have to admit that many times I write LOL and I just think somethings funny but this time I really laughed.

No wonder my son took on the role of Class Clown before we figured out that he had special educational needs. I do love life's little ironies.

Basically, you have to check everything I say to see if it makes sense to you, because I have been known to exagerate for effect! But I did read a book about all the different Executive Functions and I'm not exaggerating with that list. It's really true.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

O
    O
    My new habit that I've been working on is going great for 2wks now! I'm so proud of myself for this simple thing. I've just wanted to do this for years. As soon as I get home after my snackers make a mess, I use the hand vaccum. On Fridays, I quickly do the windows and wipe interior. My car looks neat all the time!Happy dance. It only takes 5 mins.

Yay, onthegomom! Congratulations. What a great idea!

I've had a stomach bug go through my house, so I haven't got much done this week - the dungeon remains dungeon-ish smile Hopefully we will all be feeling better soon and I'll get something done.

Page 20 of 22 1 2 18 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM