Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 193 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by CakeBread
    A number of the kids at my dd's school are working around 5 to 7 grades above age, especially in subjects like maths. My dd is working close to 9 years above age in maths.
    Lol, I'm sorry to tease, but is that the same child you've said you wouldn't describe as mathsy?

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Y
    Y
    cakebread- then most of them will be ready for college by 10 years of age, or they excelling only in math or other levels as well

C
    C
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    A number of the kids at my dd's school are working around 5 to 7 grades above age, especially in subjects like maths. My dd is working close to 9 years above age in maths.
    Lol, I'm sorry to tease, but is that the same child you've said you wouldn't describe as mathsy?

Guilty as charged! Honestly I really think a lot of maths is just plain old boring repetitive stuff and I do feel most traditional maths curriculums could be compacted. Best thing school did was let her do a three year grade skip in maths and accepted there would be some gaps, but thought as the work would be more challenging - dd might be more interested. She has completed two grades since then and whilst she isnt exactly brimming with the joy of maths, at least she doesnt hate it either.

This reminds me- I was on another board recently where a man introduced himself as the father of a 4th grade math prodigy. His son was doing algebra. Not that this isn't advanced, but there are probably more kids like this out there than that Dad realizes. 4-5 years advanced isn't so unusual from my point of view. I suppose it's all relative!

I think of prodigies as kids ten and under who perform at the level of an accomplished adult.

Mia Offline
    LOL -- Cakebread likes to think her dd is not mathsy, but I think her dd has all her bases covered! laugh

Mia
    C
    C
    Guilty as charged! Honestly I really think a lot of maths is just plain old boring repetitive stuff and I do feel most traditional maths curriculums could be compacted. Best thing school did was let her do a three year grade skip in maths and accepted there would be some gaps, but thought as the work would be more challenging - dd might be more interested. She has completed two grades since then and whilst she isnt exactly brimming with the joy of maths, at least she doesnt hate it either.
    Makes sense, I guessed you'd mean something like that. I think you're right that many children could go through a school curriculum much faster, although many doesn't mean all so it would take some organising. TBH even for my DS, who definitely does have the joy of maths in his bones, it isn't the school syllabus maths that has him really excited, it's stuff he meets outside the syllabus. If your DD is up for some way out stuff, maybe you might show her the Dimensions videos, if you haven't already?
    http://www.dimensions-math.org/

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM