Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 68 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    SJ1, LAH33, velar, MercuryVenus, Emmy Mitchell
    11048 Registered Users
    October
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Page 90 of 264 < 1 2 ... 88 89 90 91 92 ... 263 264 >
    Topic Options
    #84938 - 09/13/10 11:55 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: kalhuli]
    Iucounu Offline

Originally Posted By: kalhuli
    My brag for the day is that my DS23 months has finally learned how to write the number 5, so now he can write all of his numbers! It was a big thing for him to do it, as he's been writing the other numbers for a while now, but never seemed to want to even try to do #5.

That's great!! My son's bane was always the number 8 for some reason. smile

#84944 - 09/13/10 12:39 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: ColinsMum]
    AlexsMom Offline

Originally Posted By: ColinsMum
    Sounds as though her grade skip was well-judged, doesn't it :-)

I'm certainly glad we did it! If anything, I'm not sure it will have been enough. Other than struggling with writing speed (which is a big enough struggle that a bigger skip wouldn't have been possible without significant support), she's breezing through the classwork. I keep thinking that the settling in period will end, and the "real work" will start soon, but maybe not?

She's not breezing through the twice-weekly gifted pullout, but her frustrations are that it's too much writing (which is the speed issue again), and boring (hard to say whether it's "uninteresting topic boring" or "I don't want to work as hard as I'm being asked to boring").

#85011 - 09/14/10 08:18 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    BonusMom Offline

Loc: IL
    I had DS9 complete a self-evaluation checklist on overexcitabilities. He asked what "compulsive organizer" meant, so I explained it; he said, "so, that would be a person who keeps a really neat desk with no papers crammed in the back or anything?"

"Right."

"Oh, then no. I'm a REpulsive organizer."

laugh

#85266 - 09/17/10 05:21 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Bassetlover Offline

DD14 has gotten the highest score of her section (or 9 people) every single test this year in band. Why is this a big brag? The other kids have been playing since 6th grade, and she just learned how to play this summer! (9th grade)

#85350 - 09/18/10 11:54 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    JaniSan222 Offline

Hi! I'm new here, perhaps I should go introduce myself first. My DS6 told his Dad while having his hair dried after bath-time, "There's 6000 '1/100' of a second in 1 minute." I only taught him about fractions a few days prior. Also, he wanted to learn how to write 1~100 in Japanese Kanji. He learned it all in 30 minutes from his Grandma. He started reading "Charlottes Web" this afternoon and read 2 chapters out loud for me in 30 minutes.

#85695 - 09/23/10 11:20 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: JaniSan222]
    seablue Offline

Loc: by the sea
    Wow, that's so cool! How does Grandma know Japanese?

#85700 - 09/23/10 11:57 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: seablue]
    flower Offline

DD almost two made a 17 piece wood train track this morning. I started her with three pieces and went to make our lunch. When I came back she had added 14 pieces and the last two pieces joined so it was a complete track. I do not know if this is gifted but I was happy.

#85701 - 09/23/10 12:45 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    kathleen'smum Offline

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
    My little guy (just two this month) makes the most amazing train track creations. The wooden track pieces are just like a puzzle to him and he loves figuring out how to go under furniture and around corners. His train obsession keeps him happy for hours. Gifted or not... it keeps them entertained and busy!

#85705 - 09/23/10 01:02 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    HelloBaby Offline

More cute than brag...

DS21mo was sitting inside a plane. The plane was speeding up on the runway, and he kept saying "up."

#85711 - 09/23/10 03:16 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: onthegomom]
    chris1234 Offline

Originally Posted By: onthegomom
    "I'm proud of my reader Children"

I just wanted to share my experience. I was around a few of DS10's classmate's moms. They were saying it was recommended the students read a particular book over the summer. None of the boys did this and now they only have a week to read it.
    The were saying how this would be hard. This little conversation made me think about my blessings.

My son read the book the first month of summer vacation with out any promting. He also read this book two years ago and enjoyed it enough to read many more by the author. DS read several books not required weekly all self motivated.

Sometimes my kids just feel average to me and then I get in a situation like this and realize how special they are. I love that my children are big readers.

Same here! They just LOVE books, and that is a wonderful thing.

I was just speaking with a co-worker today and she told how she never felt that excited about reading until upper high school and college, but now definitely enjoys it. I can't imagine! Mom used to drop us off at the library for a few hours on a saturday and it was just the best time. lol!
    My kids think going to the used book store is better than just about anything. Bizarre, but I love it too, so I guess it has rubbed off.

Page 90 of 264 < 1 2 ... 88 89 90 91 92 ... 263 264 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Renaissance STAR assessment
    by Yanaz
    10/20/21 10:07 PM
    His doc is shocked.
    by aeh
    10/20/21 01:45 PM
    New York City to Phase Out Its Gifted and Talented
    by Wren
    10/20/21 08:49 AM