Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 144 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #85506 09/21/10 11:09 AM
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Can anyone tell me if this is ok or too scarey for a DS10 who is sensitive?

Someother series he has read that I would recommend and he was fine with:
    Warriors
    Redwall
    Guardians of Gahoole

I
    I
    D loved Artemis Fowl at that age. I have read them, too. I think if he is good with those other series, go for it with the first A.F. book.

M
    M
    Ds10 read it, and he is pretty sensitive. I haven't read it
    http://www.focusonthefamily.com/parenting/protecting_your_family/book-reviews/a/artemis-fowl.aspx
    I usually use commonsensemedia, but they didn't have the first book. I personally disagree with most everything from Focus on the Family, but their reviews can be useful.
    Ds also loves the Septimus Heap series - we were able to get a number of books loaded onto his iPod from the public library. he also likes all the Tamora Pierce books. They're mainly female protagonists, but he has loved them.
    Theresa

I've read it and loved it.

It's not too bad. In one of the books somewhere there is a charater that dies, but I don't think that's the first book.

If he read Redwall, I would think he would probably be ok. It deals with big themes but it does it in a fairly 'light' way.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    Thanks everyone!!!! Thank you for the book review websites - very very helpful!!!!!

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/22/10 07:04 AM.
    I
    I
    Thinking about it more, I think Artemis Fowl is especially good for gifted kids. He is clearly PG, but also clearly a flawed character -- he hasn't learned the lesson yet that just because he CAN do something doesn't mean that he SHOULD.

Agree with the Septimus Heap and Tamora Pierce recommendations as well. We met Tamora Pierce once at a book signing on Halloween night (my kids would not be kept away, even though it was Halloween!). So we went with them in their costumes, and then did some trick or treating afterwards in the neighborhood near the bookstore. D2 was about 7, and dressed as a hobbit. Tamora recognized the costume at once and complimented her, and D launched into one of the longer poems from Lord of the Rings. Tamora responded in Elvish. It was a great moment!

R
    R
    Junior - reluctant reader - is ploughing through it without too much hasslin' from dad.
    (He just brought Dracula home from seniors' library - I bet him �5 he wouldn't get past page 25. I think my money's safe smile )

I
    I
    I recently loaded Dracula onto my iTouch (one of the "free" ebooks, since it was published so long ago). And it is actually quite good! You might lose your bet, as I think the beginning is pretty creepy and interesting.

R
    R
    Intparent-
    Perhaps I should just pay him the �5 NOT to read it - don't want him being awake all night with ghost trouble smile

I
    I
    Nothing would make my kid read it faster than offering to pay them NOT to read it. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM