Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi Everyone,
    My 7 year 11 month old son got tested to evaluate if he is needs some kind of differentiation in Maths.He is a 3rd grader and here are his scores
    VC-121
    PRI-125
    WMI-120
    PSI-80
    Full Scale 118

WJ-III
    Maths
    Calculations 163 >99.9 percentile
    Math Fluency 112 79
    Applied problems 151 >99.9
    Broad Math 163 >99.9

Broad written language 112 79 percentile

Reading
    Letter Word Identification 124 95
    Reading Fluency 109 73
    Passage Comprehension 120 90
    Broad Reading 121 92

Cluster Scores
    Academic Skills 136 99
    Academic Fluency 106 65
    Academic Applications 136 99

Key Math 3 Diagnostic Assesment
    Basic concepts 145 >99 percentile
    Operations 145 >99 percentile
    Applications 145 >99 percentile
    Total test composite 145 >99 percentile

Could you please suggest what type of accommodations should we ask for? The school doesn't have any gifted program
    Thanks

Last edited by maplepark; 09/23/10 06:23 AM.
    C
    C
    I'm gathering by your use of the term "maths" that you might be in England. I mention that b/c I'm not sure if the scores are identical on the various versions of these tests from one country to the next. Did you get percentiles as well as scaled scores?

If those WJ-III scores are as high as I'd suspect they are, my first thought is "wow!" If he was very young, I'd wonder if they might settle down to lower levels as he gets older and achievement tests expect more complex work, but being nearly 8, those scores would indicate to me that he is probably more gifted than the IQ scores would suggest.

His PSI obviously pulled down the full scale IQ and a GAI (general ability index) would likely be warranted in this case, but he still seems more gifted than the GAI even would suggest. I'd guess that the GAI probably puts him in the upper 120s range.

My dd12 took the WJ when she was about 7yrs 4mos. I don't recall the subtests being exactly the same as the ones you have listed there. Do you know what math fluency tests? My dd's lowest score was right at grade level at that time but it was on a part of the math test that related to her having had limited instruction up to that point, not limited ability if that makes sense. I wonder if math fluency in any way reflects instruction or speed. Since it is so much lower than the other scores, it would be good to know if it is something that might create an issue should he be accelerated.

That aside, I'd say that his achievement clearly indicates a need for subject acceleration in math. Is that a possibility at his school?

M
    OP Offline
    M
    No I'm not in England but New England.
    I will add percentile with scores above. Thanks for you reply.

C
    C
    Those math achievement scores really are quite high. Was he tested through his school and what, if anything, are they suggesting?

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks Dottie.I'll add reading and writing scores above.I think its very important to mention that he had bad cold when he got tested.
    He is definitely perfectionist.I rarely see silly mistakes in his work unlike his brother. He is really very sporty kind of kid. May be his cold slowed him down a bit. We are going to have ppt today to discuss the results.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks. Yes, he got tested at school. We are going to have ppt today.

S
    S
    We are in a situation involving high achievement test scores (>145) for some math subtests, but average VCI on the WISC as well as lower processing speed. The tester suspected a language processing issue (which impacted the VCI), which does become a problem for math with word problems. So we're trying to remedy that with language therapy before the language holds back advancement in math. Jury's still out, I have my fingers crossed, it'll be awhile before I know if this therapy (help with comprehension, making inferences, etc.) is doing any good...

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi Everyone,
    After months of waiting I still have not seen any solid differentiation & acceleration provided to him. The school has refused to provide a special tutor for him once a week, the service they provided last year to another student who was identified gifted in other state.
    I don't know what to do , he is really bored.
    Thanks

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM