Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    moni Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi all,
    Just looking for possible testing locations for my son which are near me and came upon the Gifted Center in Philly. They sound really good...I'm sure it will show in the price too. smile If you have used them, please share your experiences.
    Thanks,
    Monica

Hi Moni,
    No idea, but Welcome!
    What kind of info are you hoping to get answers for?
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    moni Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi Trinity,
    Thanks for the welcome! I had a post earlier called new here which kind of gave a background on my DS6. I believe you helped me out then so thanks. smile I'm just contemplating the idea of testing and wanted someplace fairly close by and the gifted center in philly looked ideal.
    Anyway I'm seeing my son not enjoy going to school (he complains he doesn't feel well and wants to stay home) and am feeling frustrated with the system. He is in 1st grade (they just tested his reading ability last year in K and found it to be middle school level)and has been going to 2nd grade for the lang. arts block. They started him off in Oct. with that block (just the whole group work) and then in Nov. decided to extend it to the small group work as well. My son was complaining about it being long and so the teacher brought it back to the way it was.
    I wrote to the teacher to get her idea on why he thought it would be long, but haven't heard back. I wrote to the 1st grade teacher on his progress report about the 2nd grade thing and she said she'd talk to the other teacher (it has been a week since then). Called the principal today to request a conference with everyone. I really want to get a true picture of what is going on and see if this is really the best fit for him.
    Sorry to ramble on there....I'm just a stay at home mom with an 18 month old as well so I need to chat with an adult even if it is on the computer. smile
    So the school doesn't test for GT (and then it is a group test)until the end of 2nd grade and I don't know if I can bear all this for another year and a half.
    I apologize again for droning on. smile
    Thanks for the smile Grinity. smile
    Monica

Oh Monica,
    Now I remember! How strange! And to think that on paper it 'should' be just right. I think private testing is an excellent idea. I hope someone has experience with that testing center. How long is that wait list?

I hope your school meeting goes well.

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    E
    E
    I had several phone conversations with them. A year ago, the waiting list was approx 18 months with no promises that they would work DS into the schedule. They told us to call back in a year. I asked for information on the testing (what tests would be used and such) as well as the pricing in writing and did not get anything after 3 phone calls. At that point I removed them from my list.

moni Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks everyone for your input. It is amazing how long the waiting list is, by that time he would already be screened by the school. I've had better luck with talking with the principal and teachers so I'll keep my money in the bank for now. smile
    Moni

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Sounds like a great new career opportunity if you live in the area...as an independent. Backlog of 18 months! Incredible--and tragic.

C
    C
    I wanted to reply to this thread even though it's an older one.

We live in the Philadelphia metro region and used a private provider for IQ and achievement testing. It was a psychologist with 20+ years of experience, both in private practice and in one of the top Philly-suburb school districts. Our experience with her was very good. If you want more information about her, you can send me a message and I'll fwd her information to you.

Best,
    Tara

moni Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi Tara,
    Thanks for your reply. I would be interested in getting the info. on your private tester. I'll send you a private message.
    Thanks again,
    Moni

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM