Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 90 of 268 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 267 268
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Sounds as though her grade skip was well-judged, doesn't it :-)

I'm certainly glad we did it! If anything, I'm not sure it will have been enough. Other than struggling with writing speed (which is a big enough struggle that a bigger skip wouldn't have been possible without significant support), she's breezing through the classwork. I keep thinking that the settling in period will end, and the "real work" will start soon, but maybe not?

She's not breezing through the twice-weekly gifted pullout, but her frustrations are that it's too much writing (which is the speed issue again), and boring (hard to say whether it's "uninteresting topic boring" or "I don't want to work as hard as I'm being asked to boring").

B
    B
    I had DS9 complete a self-evaluation checklist on overexcitabilities. He asked what "compulsive organizer" meant, so I explained it; he said, "so, that would be a person who keeps a really neat desk with no papers crammed in the back or anything?"

"Right."

"Oh, then no. I'm a REpulsive organizer."

laugh

B
    B
    DD14 has gotten the highest score of her section (or 9 people) every single test this year in band. Why is this a big brag? The other kids have been playing since 6th grade, and she just learned how to play this summer! (9th grade)

J
    J
    Hi! I'm new here, perhaps I should go introduce myself first. My DS6 told his Dad while having his hair dried after bath-time, "There's 6000 '1/100' of a second in 1 minute." I only taught him about fractions a few days prior. Also, he wanted to learn how to write 1~100 in Japanese Kanji. He learned it all in 30 minutes from his Grandma. He started reading "Charlottes Web" this afternoon and read 2 chapters out loud for me in 30 minutes.

Wow, that's so cool! How does Grandma know Japanese?

F
    F
    DD almost two made a 17 piece wood train track this morning. I started her with three pieces and went to make our lunch. When I came back she had added 14 pieces and the last two pieces joined so it was a complete track. I do not know if this is gifted but I was happy.

My little guy (just two this month) makes the most amazing train track creations. The wooden track pieces are just like a puzzle to him and he loves figuring out how to go under furniture and around corners. His train obsession keeps him happy for hours. Gifted or not... it keeps them entertained and busy!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    H
    H
    More cute than brag...

DS21mo was sitting inside a plane. The plane was speeding up on the runway, and he kept saying "up."

Originally Posted by onthegomom
    "I'm proud of my reader Children"

I just wanted to share my experience. I was around a few of DS10's classmate's moms. They were saying it was recommended the students read a particular book over the summer. None of the boys did this and now they only have a week to read it.
    The were saying how this would be hard. This little conversation made me think about my blessings.

My son read the book the first month of summer vacation with out any promting. He also read this book two years ago and enjoyed it enough to read many more by the author. DS read several books not required weekly all self motivated.

Sometimes my kids just feel average to me and then I get in a situation like this and realize how special they are. I love that my children are big readers.

Same here! They just LOVE books, and that is a wonderful thing.

I was just speaking with a co-worker today and she told how she never felt that excited about reading until upper high school and college, but now definitely enjoys it. I can't imagine! Mom used to drop us off at the library for a few hours on a saturday and it was just the best time. lol!
    My kids think going to the used book store is better than just about anything. Bizarre, but I love it too, so I guess it has rubbed off.

We had a HUGE breakthrough with cursive writing this week! After weeks/months of struggling with her perfectionism, DD8 is making progress. I had the two DKs in the tub last night and took little man out to dry and dress him in his PJs. When I went back to help DD out, I found she had taken the bath crayons and written four three-letter words in cursive on the tiles (God, dad, cod and dog) along with pictures of each underneath. She told me "I like it better now that we can put the letters together, it is just like a puzzle trying to figure out how to connect all the letters together. I like it now!"

Complete credit to her psychologist and her amazingly supportive teacher for recognizing how crippling her perfectionism was and giving her all the tools she needed to be successful. This is a huge success for her!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    Page 90 of 268 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM