Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 147 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore, Ross Kious, Alishaniche
    11,419 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 15 of 32 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 31 32
    Hi again, so sorry not to get back sooner. We've had lots of weekend activities going on and I couldn't get back here.

I feel that my son's issues are related to being on the higher end of the gifted scale. When the suggestion is made about him having AS, by multiple people, and when I read so many "symptoms" that I thought were due to being gifted, I have to stop and think that perhaps I have written off AS symptoms as gifted issues.

I know that there is no way to really know for sure without having someone who knows about these things to evaluate him. But to answer some questions, I do think he is very loving and empathetic. He makes eye contact, though does have a tendency to look away a lot during conversation. (I do this, too.) One of the things that I read in the book that AS parents often say to others about their child is "He/she is very literal." I have said that since he was three! He has intense interests, but they aren't super specific or what I would call obsessive.

I did let him take the Sally and Anne Test. He didn't answer the way that he should have. He also took two other similar tests that were listed in the book that I referenced above in my op. He didn't answer those correctly either. Needless to say, my dh and I were concerned. Then, later in the day after the last two tests, he came to me and told me that he had thought about it and he thought that he should have answered the other way. He explained to me why he said what he did at first, and it amounted to him reading too much into the stories. I am terrible about doing this too. I was never able to do well on multiple choice or T/F tests because of this issue. That said, I have to ask myself if I'm dismissing this and trying to see things the way that I want them to be.

I don't think that I mentioned it in my op, but we are in a very rural area. Anything "different" really stands out. I'm from here so I can say that. wink I have the same issues, but I think it's a bit easier to deal with as an adult. Anyway, I so much appreciate the kind words and offers to chat. I will likely take you up on that when I have time.

Okay, I'll drop this for now. Thanks!

Congrats to everyone else who has started the year off in a good way. Sounds to me like things are going well for many. That's so good to hear. smile

D
    D
    Well, back to school and after a week not really sure how it is going to go. DS6 (7, this weekend) will certainly be more challenged this year in the magnet program than he was in his home school last year. He is in a "higher reading" homeroom, so there should be more kids at his level. Last year there was only one other kid schoolwide in his reading group. The teacher, a male (which DS tends to do better with), taught 2nd last year and seems to be enthusiastic.

M
    M
    DCDad: How'd you figure out that DS is in a "higher reading" homeroom? I can't at all tell what the level of the other kids in DS6's class are at the moment, other than the 1 girl he was paired w/last year who's in his class again this year.

Happy birthday to your DS!

D
    D
    Oops, forgot that you know my son's secret identity and school, "mom2boys". I'll PM you.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    So DS6.5 is doing great work wise... maybe even needs a bit more. He's enjoying Target (ALP), BUT he can't keep his mouth shut. He was great for the first 2 weeks, but now he's taking a nose dive. Sigh... we are working on it, but it's very frustrating.

N
    N
    Ds7 and I were going over his spelling words this morning, and for some reason he was struggling (never had a problem before, he has always got 100% on his spelling tests - he gets his own, advanced list - last week, he got 2 wrong - silly mistakes). I asked him why he was having a hard time, and he told me it was my fault ! He said it was because I hadn't given him any math to do lately - during the summer, I DID make him do some daily math, telling him that if he didn't, his brain would "turn to mush". Since school started mid-August, he hasn't done any math at home. I guess we need to start working on that mush brain at home again to get it back to normal smile

We just finished 4 weeks of school. DD6 is really enjoying her class and her teacher.

Last week, we received our first written eval from the teacher. DD's teacher noted that she's advanced verbally & in reading and that she will need to be "challenged" in Math.

DD's reading group is reading above grade level, but probably .5 to .75 years behind DD's current level. I'm seeing lots more independent reading from her at home, so we're not going to push that right now.

I'm planning on writing a thank you note to the principal for the placement (both in 1st and with this teacher).

Screening for GT services starts this month. Pull-out doesn't happen until January, but once identified the GT educators are tasked with helping the classroom teachers work with kids who need help/challenge.

Overall I'm happy with the current placement and hopeful that we'll get services in the classroom. I'll keep everyone updated.

U
    U
    Just checking in. I am feeling discouraged about even trying to get differentiation for DD, but on the other hand she seems to enjoying first and does a good job challenging herself at home. She has been bringing books from home to read in class, which seems to be fine. I got a chance to see her spelling and phonics books, which are going to be very, very easy for her. I'm trying to decide whether or not to just let that go. I am 90% sure they are not going to be receptive to anything special in math.

The school has other aspects which she enjoys a lot, and so far her behavior seems to have been great, which was not the case last year in K. However, last year we started out well and then began a long downward spiral of complaints. I'm trying to decide whether to try to get myself motivated to go in and ask for more or whether to just wait and see how she does a while longer. It seems like everyone in my life is telling me to let it go when it comes to DD and school, and I'm feeling tired and not willing to try. She IS only 6. Maybe it doesn't matter for now.

S
    S
    I could not be happier! I have to say that there have been some ups and downs over the past year, but things are now going amazing and I am thankful for the services our school is providing. Starting next week DS6 will be starting a 4th grade math class and the school will transport him to another school for the class and then back to his home school for 2nd grade. He is excited about it. Also, we had a big meeting with everyone today to discuss the logistics and they had created an "advanced learning plan" for DS6 that outlines some of his modifications for his file and everyone signed to agree to this plan for the year (which includes regular reviews of the plan every 2 months). The plan is all centered around math since the math superintendent initiated this, but it is still an awesome start and the teacher is doing much differentiation in the class for him for other subjects too. So, we are very hopeful that this will be a great move and shocked with all the changes that the school has put in place for him. We live in NY and they have no gifted mandates and no gifted programming in our school district. And the first meeting we had with the school they said "we are not required to meet the needs of a profoundly gifted individual." How amazing how things have changed in just one year!! So for all of you struggling with schools, there is hope yet and I hope and pray that your schools support your children.

I
    I
    That is great news, Shellymos! I am so happy for your ds to be challenged!

I want to report in with cautious optimism for the beginning of dd6's 1st grade year in her private, gifted school.

I feel relieved that she was once again appropriately placed in her reading and math groups (I only know this based on a certain "wicked smart" boy with whom I feel she should always be placed). I was pleased that when the teacher screened the top kids for math placement, she gave them timed tests in addition, subtraction and multiplication (dd taught herself all her multiplication tables up through 12 this summer). I'm hoping that bodes well for more challenging math to be offered this year (see my daughter's 0+0 comment about kindergarten math from earlier in this thread). Personally, I want to see the different ability groups really doing different work.

I'm not sure reading will prove much of a challenge (dd finished kindergarten testing at the 4th grade level - not sure where she is now). However in "language arts" dd is learning quite a bit about writing and spelling, both subjects in which she has much room to grow.

My biggest happiness, so far this year is in seeing how comfortable and accepted dd6 feels at school. She is a quirky kid, but there, I know she is well liked. I used to feel that we were making this private school financial sacrifice simply so that dd could be subject accelerated while staying in the same grade (she is an early summer birthday). Now, I feel that the peer group is as just as big of a factor as to why we will stay.

Page 15 of 32 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 31 32

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM