Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    H
    H
    I have the opposite side of the story.

Whenever DS18mo goes out, we give him a bottle with water because his sippy cup doesn�t fit a regular cupholder. Every once in a while, people ask us why DS is still using a bottle and not a sippy cup. I just smile and change topic.

It�s funny how people have todo list for a child as well.

O
    oli Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    I agree with tracey. I came to discover early on that everybody defines things differently and in the end it is apples to oranges. Such as first words. When my daughter started putting sounds together I didn't consider it first words, but discovered that some of my friends did. Their idea of an acceptable word was when a child would produce some sound repeatedly for a specific object. Is that really a word? It's part of the gray area and why making blanket statements should not be considered absolute until we understand the person's definition. As for the learning of the ABCs; I have discovered many claims to be just that: being able to recite the abc song but not really identify the individual letters.

Oh ... and the teaching of the toddlers. We are definitely seeing a pattern in today's society. Someone posted a link to another board on this one recently and I was appalled by what it represented. Clearly a push to teach and in a way that was clearly competitive. I wish I could find that link again because I was trying to show my husband. I was floored. The board represented everything I dislike about curriculum for the toddler.

I agree with this one and I think you mean the link I posted while ago. You can probably find it from my old posts smile But I think it is fairly common for a 2 year old know their alphabets as there are so many toys & books with them. I also tend to socialize with parents having similar professional background which forms a bias towards what seems normal or not.

At least for us DD learning to route count, alphabets, numbers, shapes etc so young was the first time we as her parents realized that maybe she might be more advanced than we thought. These kind of things are easily recognized. You need to see and interact with lot of kids to be able to know if your child's humor or play is normal age level or not. Much easier for parents to notice that their 18mo old knows alphabets and counts than that the child has a higher level imaginary play than other 18mo olds. Only thing I still notice from the level of play is that some other 2-3 year olds seem so "babyish" compared to DD. She is turing 3 and we are used to her academic skills so I'm not sure how gifted DD is as it is much harder to make comparisons after you are way past the alphabet stage (and as I read post here I'm thinking that reading is normal for this age group too).

K
    K
    I am like most people here. I have a 23 month-old who has been able to identify his capital letters and numbers 0-9 since before 12 months of age. I have had close friends look at me like I'm doing the child a disservice by providing his with the tools to teach himself things like this and it still makes me angry! All I did was buy the foam alphabet mat for him to play on to get him off the hardwood floor and I'm being looked at as some kind of overbearing, 'teacher' parent! So many of the toys and games that are available for kids under 18 months (and over that age, too, of course) have the numbers and letters there and if my son picks up on it immediately, how is that my 'fault'??
    He is a little on the shy side and hates loud noises and crowds and that, together with the fact that he's a quick learner, makes it seem like I'm sheltering him so we can stay at home and I can teach him. It's crazy! It also frustrates me that that same friend can so happily tell me that her child can swim on her own, but if I mention that my son can spell his name, I'm looked at like I'm forcing him to learn it! Urghhh! Sorry for the venting, but that frustrates me to no end!
    I can see why people think parents who have kids like this might think that we're forcing them to learn and I know how easy it can be to compare kids, but come on! I feel like my child has accomplished so much and there are so few people that I can share it with.

There's nothing wrong with being a teacher-parent, as long as it's done well. Of course it's not your fault if your son is quick at learning new things!

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Originally Posted by Min
    I'm a bit, well, confused, I guess. Absolutely every single parent or grandparent of a toddler I have run into talks about how amazing their child is and how they know all their letters, numbers, colors, or whatever. Every. Single. One. �It may be that because I keep my mouth shut and don't share anything, I end up hearing more. I have absolutely no desire to join ranks of declarations on the details of what my children can know or do, but I am honestly baffled, wondering why I am so constantly bombarded with stories of 'brilliance.' I can't believe that we have a coming generation of brilliant people coming in. What can I be seeing?�
    Maybe because half of the daytime cartoons are educational and teach letters and numbers. �Before it was just sesame street and the electric company and you had to go out of your way for educational programming. �Now if you just leave the cartoons on all day they'll teach them letters, shapes, sequencing, and reading, and introduce Spanish and Chinese. �LoL. �It is kind of amazing to see a kid learning things you're not teaching them. �Maybe they are impressed. �And if the kid gets on the computer, forget it. �
    Oh and I'm so guilty I do just tell stories about my kid all the time. �But I spend all day here and my whole life revolves around him at this time so that's all the stories I have to tell at the moment. �Yeah, I don't get out much. �And never without the kid. �Thankfully my friends and family understands and are interested.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM