Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 89 of 268 1 2 87 88 89 90 91 267 268
    A
    A
    DD7's 3rd grade teacher requires the kids read a certain number of grade-level books, with a 90 or 100 on the AR quiz for that book, in order to "earn" the right to read books from the next grade level up. (So you read 3rd grade books to earn 4th grade books, and then can read howevermany 4th grade books to earn 5th grade books.) They're also limited to the number of tests they can take in a week, on the grounds that if you can read it in less than the intervening time, and are unhappy about being done so soon, you picked a book that was too short.

At pickup today, she told me DD was the first kid in her class to have earned 4th grade books.

JJsMom... My DS just started learning chess too! His teacher made the same sort of comments as yours. He loves it and recommended a book to us called "Chessersize" By Pandolfi.

It has pictures of boards that you set up, then it gives you a little blurb that says "white wins in 2 moves" It is your childs job to figure those moves out. At school they call them battle drills (maybe that's why DS loves them so much?) Anyway if your DS starts pushing to learn more,you might want to check out this book.

Maybe some day we'll hook up and the boys can play each other!

Last edited by BWBShari; 09/10/10 04:20 PM.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    B
    B
    DD is attempting to enter 3/4 of the Reflections program categories because she is so bored this weekend.. I have to say, though, the contest seems kind of annoying. She entered it last year and got the top scores (5 out of 5 points) for "journalistic quality" and "creativity" yet only got a 2 for for "Connection to theme" even though it seemed to have a lot to do with the theme... You double the connection to theme score, so her score was 14 out of 20. That was enough for "honorable mention". (better than Participation, I guess)
    Anyway, DD has never been good at chess. Am I alone in this? Seems like every gifted kid I hear about is good at chess.... :P

C
    C
    Originally Posted by AlexsMom
    DD7's 3rd grade teacher requires the kids read a certain number of grade-level books, with a 90 or 100 on the AR quiz for that book, in order to "earn" the right to read books from the next grade level up. (So you read 3rd grade books to earn 4th grade books, and then can read howevermany 4th grade books to earn 5th grade books.) They're also limited to the number of tests they can take in a week, on the grounds that if you can read it in less than the intervening time, and are unhappy about being done so soon, you picked a book that was too short.

At pickup today, she told me DD was the first kid in her class to have earned 4th grade books.
    Sounds as though her grade skip was well-judged, doesn't it :-)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    O
    O
    "I'm proud of my reader Children"

I just wanted to share my experience. I was around a few of DS10's classmate's moms. They were saying it was recommended the students read a particular book over the summer. None of the boys did this and now they only have a week to read it.
    The were saying how this would be hard. This little conversation made me think about my blessings.

My son read the book the first month of summer vacation with out any promting. He also read this book two years ago and enjoyed it enough to read many more by the author. DS read several books not required weekly all self motivated.

Sometimes my kids just feel average to me and then I get in a situation like this and realize how special they are. I love that my children are big readers.

O
    O
    Originally Posted by Bassetlover
    Anyway, DD has never been good at chess. Am I alone in this? Seems like every gifted kid I hear about is good at chess.... :P

You are not alone. DD7 has no interest in playing chess. Some of it maybe because her older brother is very good.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by BWBShari
    JJsMom... My DS just started learning chess too! His teacher made the same sort of comments as yours. He loves it and recommended a book to us called "Chessersize" By Pandolfi.

It has pictures of boards that you set up, then it gives you a little blurb that says "white wins in 2 moves" It is your childs job to figure those moves out. At school they call them battle drills (maybe that's why DS loves them so much?) Anyway if your DS starts pushing to learn more,you might want to check out this book.

Maybe some day we'll hook up and the boys can play each other!

Oh thanks Shari! He has asked to play chess more than video games lately, which is huge!!! LOL

And yeah I bet both boys would love that! smile

K
    K
    My brag for the day is that my DS23 months has finally learned how to write the number 5, so now he can write all of his numbers! It was a big thing for him to do it, as he's been writing the other numbers for a while now, but never seemed to want to even try to do #5.

O
    O
    Thanks for the chess book recommendation. I just ordered it from the library.

Originally Posted by kalhuli
    My brag for the day is that my DS23 months has finally learned how to write the number 5, so now he can write all of his numbers! It was a big thing for him to do it, as he's been writing the other numbers for a while now, but never seemed to want to even try to do #5.

That's great!! My son's bane was always the number 8 for some reason. smile

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Page 89 of 268 1 2 87 88 89 90 91 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM