Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 371 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #84683 09/09/10 08:05 PM
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    My dysgraphic 5th grader's teacher sent me an email today letting me know that he had talked with my son and recommended a new way to practice his spelling words. He asked that he finger spell them into sand paper while spelling them out loud to me.

Don't know why it never occurred to me to try this since we used sand paper letters in the Montessori school where I student taught in college, but it hadn't.

So I did an experiment. We tried the spelling words out loud; he got about half correct. We tried later in the day with the sand paper, and he got every single one of them correct. It still remains to be seen whether it helps retention for tomorrow's test, but it is still a rather dramatic improvement for a child who regularly leaves letters out of words and misspells even basic words.

Has anyone else tried this? How did it work out? Any other tricks you've tried?

ABQMom #84684 09/09/10 08:17 PM
    I saw a lot of kids "writing" words on their palms and wrist with their imaginary pencils on tv on the national spelling bee. They're the best at what they do. It must work.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    ABQMom #84691 09/09/10 09:31 PM
    MAE Offline
    We've been writing REALLY BIG on the whiteboard, something about engaging the whole arm and shoulder. I have him say the word, then write it 5 times big while saying the letters. This week the ones he still had trouble with I had him form out of play-dough, though we would have used modeling clay if we had enough on hand. You can use a little shaving cream in a gallon Ziplock, chalk on the driveway, pipe cleaners, rice on a cookie sheet, anything that makes it a novel multisensory experience. When I test him he writes on notebook paper, I make him first say the word out loud, then he writes it (presumably while saying the letters in his head,) then I make him read what he wrote. It is very difficult for him to actually read what he just wrote and not just repeat the word.

Having used the excellent All About Spelling program while homeschooling last year I'm quite underwhelmed with the school's traditional memorization approach to spelling.

I like the sandpaper idea, thanks for that ABQMom. It's not as messy as some of the things I've come up with so I'll add it to our tool kit.

I'm also very curious what strategies others have been successful with.

ABQMom #84703 09/10/10 04:58 AM
    The idea is to practice the spelling in a multi-sensory manner: Touch (fine and gross motor), auditory and visual. Basically, you are creating mental pathways that create better storage and retrieval routes in the brain.

With this in mind, think of all the senses and be sure to use them all when practicing, Here are some that work for my son:

1. Gross Motor: With arm fully extended, "Air Write" the words saying the letters aloud. *similar to writing big on the white board"
    2. Fine motor: use shaving cream on a cookie sheet and write the letters in the foam (similar to sand)
    4. Auditory: Say the letters out loud - add rhythm, clapping (motor)
    5. Visual: Look at the word and picture it in your mind. For example "Because" Cover it. Ask - what is the last letter? What comes after the c and so on.
    6. Tapping: Tap finger to thumb or finger to forearm while saying the letters aloud. exempt: "and" say a and tap pointer to thumb, say n tap tall man to thumb say d tap ring man to thumb.

Like anything - small doses many times rather than one big memory session works best.

ABQMom #84762 09/10/10 02:55 PM
    We often spell out words on each other's backs (me and the kids) they really like it, even just as a going to sleep game. And it does help with spelling, imo. For dd4, we just do single letters rather than whole words; she is getting very good at recognizing letters this way and is writing them recognizably too...

ABQMom #84777 09/10/10 04:41 PM
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks all of you!

ABQMom #84842 09/11/10 10:03 PM
    Last year my son's 2nd grade teacher taught her class the ASL (American Sign Language) alphabet so they could practice finger spelling. They would do that when they were in line at the library, etc, & it also kept them quiet. I thought it was a cool idea. Can't vouch for its success since DS is a good speller but it definitely uses another neurological pathway--worth a try! Here's a chart if you don't already know the signs: fingerspelled alphabet

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. Walt Disney
    ABQMom #85476 09/20/10 10:56 PM
    A
    A
    this thread is full of great ideas! thanks! i was just posting about some of DD7s problems and i think this may help. She seems to be more visual/tactile so i will try it this week.

I think I may get some sand and put it in a covered long flat container so we can keep inside to use each week. Like a plastic cupcake carrier or covered glass lasagna tray - see what i can find in the trift shop smile you're brilliant!!

ABQMom #85482 09/21/10 05:14 AM
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Fyi - the kiddo earned a 100 on his spelling test last week - something that has never happened before. The sandpaper definitely works for him.

ABQMom #85712 09/23/10 03:20 PM
    ABQ - that is great news! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM