Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 14 of 22 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 21 22
    Hi G
    Okay, I get it now, it's pst, the website is in Nevada!!! I posted at 10 something and it says 7, there is no way I could post at 7am on labor day, even if I was up!!! I actually conquered the bed issue because it was such a big deal to my dh, although it was more likely the reality of having a sitter who could see it. But I cheat - king size comforter on a queen size bed covers all matter of not tucking!!!

DeHe

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I LOVE how u problem solved bedmaking. Go DeHe!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Wednesday the babystep is to read any flylady email. If you want, read one, post the link and your reaction.

http://www.flylady.net/pages/bbd16.asp

Love and More Love
    Grinity

I just shined my sink. The weekend was pretty busy, and it 'felt' like the house was trashed, but 15 minutes this AM before work, and 15 minutes after work was all it took!

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I went to Big Tent and read 'the smallest pencil'
    http://www.bigtent.com/group/news/entry/39129110

nice testimonial about how much of our brain convinses us so convincingly that we 'can't' fix the clutter problem.

Also about writing things down "The smallest pencil is stronger than the strongest memory"
    Perhaps only true for some of us - but a great reminder for me!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Thanks Grinity, I must admit that this thread provided me the kick I needed to get on top of things again. I started keeping up with things that were getting a bit behind and my parenting has improved because of it. Thank you! I hope you are getting what you wanted out of it too.

I had deleted that email and so I went back and read it. smile I was starting to use my calendar and diary again, so now I feel smug wink

Ta!

O
    O
    I haven't even started this yet but... I read the sink thing breifly and thought I wouldn't really do that. I don't like to dry the dishes. (I know this whole thing allows some flexibility.) The funny think is I did clean my sink and now I'm not leaving dirty dishes in the sink and then I dry it. I told myself I wasn't going to dry the sink but somehow I'm compelled. My DH has always wished I would not leave dirty dishes in the sink. I'm just waiting for him to notice I've improved.

Another thing, I started using the hand vaccum in the car as soon as I get home with my two back seat snackers. This is something I've thought of doing for years but never got around to it.

I've been a neat want to be for a long time.

J
    J
    "Housework done incorrectly still blesses your family" -- love this one!

Here is a challenge... if there is a lot of clutter, set a timer for 15 minutes and then go as fast as you can and you only have 2 options: donate or trash.

would this be too hard? laugh

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by GeoMamma
    I started keeping up with things that were getting a bit behind and my parenting has improved because of it. Thank you!

Good Morning GeoMamma and Dear Ones -
    Can you say more about the connection for you between clutter and parenting? I'd love to hear it.

What was I hoping to get out of doing the Babysteps? I didn't go the babysteps with any particular intention - I just noticed that I recommend Flylady very often, and wasn't really sure how easy it was for people to get started. I started doing 'habit of the month' so it was much slower than this.

I felt like a better parent while FLYing bacause I was less angry, resentful, defensive, and shut down when the various surfaces of the house were saying 'Go Me' instead of 'You Stink.' My relationship with my Clutter was interfering with my relationship with my dear DS!

Good side effects have been the secure feeling DS has knowing he has a Mamma who can find an extra pencil, highlighter, notecard, notebook or posterboard at a moment's notice. I grew up feeling very 'out of control' in relation to things, and I felt that I was the cause of the out of controlness. Now I realize that my Mom was fighting hard to keep up as best she could, and that I was just being a normal kid. When my DS looses something, the fact that the baseline of the house is neat makes his job of looking for the thing a lot easier. I know because I see the difference when I let things pile up a bit.

Now DS14 is at boarding school. I've seen that although he was never into Flylady missions, he sometimes lectures me on the right way to do things, and the words are very familiar. I don't know if he has internalized enough of my efforts to stay organized right from the start, or if he will have to learn the hard way, but I have to believe that his learning will be faster because he knows what neat 'feels like' and he know some 'hows.'

Doing 31 days of babysteps feels like a big challenge - and with my son newly out of the house, I wanted to distract myself. Also, I'm an 'extravert' so it's easier to clean up and be organized when DS is physically in the house. Left to my own devices, with no one around to be 'good' for isn't something that comes naturally to me. I can report that the house looks great, cleans itself, and bounces back quickly from upsets in the routine. My plan is to supplant the idea of an 'empty nest' with the image of the kind of nurturing space for myself that I wished for as a child. Some of the goals that I've had for myself that I couldn't quite find time for without the babysteps are: flossing daily, 5 minutes of yoga (sun salutation) every morning, 5 minutes of meditation every night before bed. I can report that the babysteps are keeping me on track so I could add those daily things.

Today's babystep is to choose a bedtime - Ekk!
    What should I do? Choose a ridiculously late bedtime like Midnight so that I can say I've done the step? Change is into a 'computer curfew?' I could give myself a computer curfew of 11pm on weeknights. I'll have to think this one over.

Can anyone help me with some of their own 'bedtimes' stories?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

O
    O
    Grinity
    Here's a suggestion. Give yourself a pj time and get into bed with a book, or tv. It feels good to feel like you have more time and then relax. I find that if I get into my pj's and brush my teeth, floss and wash my face before I'm tired it's better. I tend to go to bed earlier. I don't give myself a bedtime. I just put down the book when I'm tired and go to sleep. Usually, I get to sleep by 10:00 when I'm on a roll of doing it right.

I don't want to do the grooming stuff if I get over tired. If I go on the computer after the kids are in bed I tend to stay up too late. Lately, Iv'e been staying up too late. I'm not sure why, except I'm anxious about the new school.

A note about flossing.
    My dd in K had a dentist come to her class and speak about dental care. DD got both DH and myself flossing. I went to the dentist, after a year, and they said, "WOW your teeth look good and it's been a while". Usually, I got the lecture about needing to floss.

Do you want DD (now 7) give you a call?(She is an amazing girl. I think it's cool how a little person can have big impact.

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/10/10 02:02 PM.
    I
    I
    I started setting the timer on my watch for a 10pm reminder to go to bed. I've probably added at least an hour of sleep each night since doing this.

Page 14 of 22 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 21 22

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM