Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #8415 02/07/08 12:37 PM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Saw this site when researching:

http://highcognitive.squarespace.com/high-cognitives/

So what is the opinion on what he writes about high congnitives and differences on the IQ. Is that right about Feynman and official IQ score of 125. I thought he was considered PG officially?

Ren

Wren #8426 02/07/08 02:21 PM
    Wow, Ren, very cool article.
    The guy is explaining how I think. And even though my girls tested HG and PG on the test, I probably wouldn't.
    Maybe I should change my name from Incog to Highcog

smile

They are driven by a need for understanding and meaning, and they acquire knowledge for those ends, not merely for the possession of facts.

I find this statement very interesting as I always want to know things and want to understand the hidden or underlying meaning behind things. I think others find this somewhat strange about me. blush

Their study, work, and thinking cross disciplinary lines, drawing inspiration from fields that may seem disparate and unrelated.

I have very unrelated degrees in computer science/math and history/secondary education and find both areas very interesting. In fact I've always been interesting in just about everything! LOL!!

Incog (and anyone else who identifies) - I'd love to hear some examples of how you feel this pertains to how you think. I feel like I fit some of the things but I am not sure. And I'm definitely not HG or PG! I'm not sure what my IQ was as a kid (my mom wouldn't tell me) but I'm sure it was only MG.

Wren thanks for posting this. It is very interesting and has given me something to think about. (now I will be driven to find understanding and meaning from all this!) grin

EandCmom #8451 02/07/08 06:12 PM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    In my professional experience, I got a lot of "oohs and aahs" about the way I think, especially in my 20s. A former well known Chrysler Chairman told his chief economist to use my numbers, in the 80s when they were choosing a new CEO of GM, one of the directors asked me what I thought (this guy was considered the top corporate lawyer in America) and I told him this weird answer. He wrote me a letter (pre-email) six months later and say I was right and paid me a huge compliment on my intelligence.

These things were not mathematical modeling things, they were the weird way I looked at things. There was this guy, got his PhD under Feynman, he always says I am one of the smartest people he knows and he goes to some super computer symposium every year that the top physics guys go to. So it has to be the way I am wired, it is different. When I was in college, cheerleading and drinking and sometimes making it to my engineering classes, my Physics prof asked me to consider graduate work in Physics. I thought he had the wrong person.

I don't think of myself as brilliant. I think of myself being able to see the picture differently. But it gets really noticed. I remember in 9th grade, I had the head of the math department for a teacher and for a lark he gave us some test for graduating students and I did remarkably well, after which he considered me a serious math geek, but by then I had totally lost my drive to learn. How I got to Wall Street was a fluke, but it was the desire to understand how business works and figuring it out that sparked it again.

Ren

Wren #8454 02/07/08 07:05 PM
    Okay, EandC, I'll see if I can put this into words. I once drew a graphic representation of how I think a linear thinking process works with arrows. I then drew a connect the dots type of graph to show how I think. That's very much oversimplifying it, however, that's why a drew the picture in the first place, hard to explain.
    My biggest difficulty is efficiently and effectively getting what's in my head out of my mouth, per say. I never seem to explain what I'm thinking as well as I'm thinking it, I guess.
    I was also in investments, Ren, and I think the thinking you describes served me well there. I was only in retail, though. I traded stocks and my clients loved me. I always seemed to know when to get in, when to get out and people always wanted to know my strategy, or "secret". But I just did it, like the article describes, like walking or breathing. I really could never tell people how. They thought I was just being a jerk and some people truly hated me.
    The downside for me is I seemed to never know what the teacher was wanting and failed a lot of tests pre-college, especially multiple choice.
    Umm, let's see what else. I remember doing great on a senior college course in political philosophy. We had to write a paper tying Plato's Allegory of the Cave to the modern day media, which is seemingly unrelated. After I read the allegory, it just popped and I nailed the paper, no one else got above a C. Everyone wanted to know how I figured it out, but I didn't figure anything out, it was just clear to me.
    However, I have been known to just struggle with some very mundane things that seem simple to most people.

Maybe I'll think of something else later.

Incog
    Oh, p.s. I do know my IQ score from high school and I am not HG or PG according to that number.

EandCmom #8490 02/08/08 06:58 AM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by EandCmom
    I have very unrelated degrees in computer science/math and history/secondary education and find both areas very interesting. In fact I've always been interesting in just about everything! LOL!!

Me, too. I've got graduate degrees in math and math ed, but I love to read, and I love history. My favorite TV channels are Discovery Health and The History Channel. I love learning about everything!

It's nice to find a place where people are like me!

Last edited by pinkpanther; 02/08/08 06:59 AM.
    Ditto that, PP! I absolutely hated to have to declare a major in college. I loved it all.

It's nice to find true peers!

Kriston
    Kriston #8515 02/08/08 01:17 PM
    K
    K
    Thanks Wren - great article!

Ditto here too! I have BS degrees in Math and Comp Sci. But I studied architecture and art for a year. I took all sorts of extra credits in obscure history and music, and even phy ed etc that didn't count for anything. I'm sure I have the additional credit count for another degree or masters.

It is nice to find true peers! I was just contemplating today how hard it is to find people to really *TALK* to. Thank goodness for DH.

kimck #8530 02/08/08 05:35 PM
    Thanks for the examples Highcog and Wren! smile I see exactly what you are saying. It's like authors who are constantly asked where they get their ideas for their books. They say if you have to ask then you can't be an author! LOL!!! You either get it or you don't I suppose.

It's interesting as I was reading what you were saying I was thinking about how I can feel that I know what is "right" and I can see the answer clearly but I am not confident enough in myself to tell other people. I would never be able to trade stocks for people because "gasp" what if I lost them money? I would never be able to sleep again. So maybe there has to be a confidence wire in you too for you to be able to put your ideas/decisions into action?? I don't know but it is interesting to think about.

I bet the inventors of the world are in this group. They are able to see outside of the box to be able to come up with a completely new, never seen before solution to a problem.

pink, Kriston and kim - I'm with you!!! I love having peers here! I'd also love to hear what you are reading (I'm an AVID reader) so if you want, pm me with any recommendations. smile

Originally Posted by incogneato
    Incog
    Oh, p.s. I do know my IQ score from high school and I am not HG or PG according to that number.
    Oh 'Neato, I wish I had your subscore scores for Dottie to look at. A full scale score tells so little. Hee, Hee

smiles,
    Grinity (who has only SATs as landmarks)

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM