Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 100 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #83111 08/20/10 08:18 PM
    moni Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with the Go Math Florida curriculum. It is fairly new and our school district will be implementing it I think as a pilot program this year. My DS9 in 5th grade will be one of the guinea pigs. smile Please share what you know about the curriculum. Thanks.

D
    D
    I'm in Broward county that is using the Go Math series this year for the first time. I must say I'm not impressed at all. Granted it has only been 2 weeks of school. My DD in 4th is using it and I don't see any new concepts being introduced that were not in the series she used last year in 3rd grade for almost 1/2 the book. The vocabulary has changed quite a bit and the methods they want the kids to learn how to do the problems, but for children who are either advanced in math or further along in their elementary years I can't say I'm very excited about it.

J
    J
    I'm the parent of a 10-year old in a Miami-Dade County school. My wife is the one who normally tutors our child and helps her through homework, but I step in now and then to change the pace, or to defuse the frustration the two experience with this "new math." I have been witnessing a most convoluted and needlessly complicated system of math since our child was first exposed to Go Math! Florida the last school year. My wife and I, two highly educated adults (a J.D. and an M.P.A.), have each been doing practical math problems throughout more than 30 years of professional life, and now have to struggle with 10-step formulas for a simple division problem that can be solved in two or three steps. Maybe I'm missing "the big picture" of this system's "deep understanding" of math, but I doubt it. I vote for the straight forward math.

D
    D
    I have kids in K and 1 in a Miami-Dade public school. Granted, they're learning K and 1 stuff, but they've both complained about the slow pace and general easiness of the math. There's been a lot of counting to five, and 0+0 type math. Nobody in my family is a fan of Go Math.

On the bright side, the online version of Go Math has links to related lessons on Destination Math (also available on Riverdeep). Both my kids love Destination Math, and they learn the concepts readily in that format.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM