Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Kriston #8619 02/10/08 07:07 PM
    Another thought: have you looked books up on this site?

http://www.lexile.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?view=ed&tabindex=6&tabid=18#1

Find-a-book here: http://www.lexile.com/findabook/StudentInfo.aspx

I don't know if I'm ahead or behind the curve on Lexiles as a measure of how challenging a book is to read, so I won't explain it here. If you don't know what the heck they are, let me know and I'll be happy to explain. But it might help you find some books that are both interesting and not too challenging.

K-

Kriston
    Kriston #8629 02/11/08 06:53 AM
    K
    K
    I love the lexile database and use it all the time. Another chart that is helpful to look at when thinking about lexiles is this one on the scholastic website. It converts lexile numbers to DRA's and grade levels (and scholastic letter levels - which is what DS's classroom uses)

http://teacher.scholastic.com/products/classroombooks/browse_level.asp

kimck #8654 02/11/08 01:43 PM
    My DS got the reading fluency by playing Gameboy games that required reading, such a Pokemon, and Monster Ranchers. There are a few on the YSP list who always come forward that their sons learned this way.

It makes sense to me that as a child's working memory is occupied with sounding the word out, comprehension will drop - what doesn't drop is the urge to get information at their readiness level - so it can be a tough transition. Think of a child learning to type (ahaaa, a sweet thought) - there will be a tricky time where they need to practice, but won't really be able to do much with the skill, yet....

It may help to let your son know that reading will get more useful, and that practice is required, but the end is worth it.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #8677 02/11/08 08:47 PM
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thank you. All of this is helpful. Probably the Gameboy hint is the most useful for me. I need to find something fun that involves reading in manageable little bites. I've been using EPGY to some success for that (but it doesn't qualify as fun). I've tried comics and graphic novels, but he has no interest. So we'll keep plugging along. I like the idea of sounding out the troublesome words before actually reading the page, and will try that, too. And keep looking for easier books that are interesting to DS.

And somehow get him to actually read something in book form every night. Maybe by choosing books that are easier than his level to start out and build confidence.

During our family interview today at the gt school, it was suggested that DS6 needs to improve his spelling. He still spells phonetically. Any suggestions? I am bad at spelling because I have relied on Word to correct my mistakes for way too many years.

Questions,
    I still have 'questions' about you son's visual system. How is he at catching a ball? Moving through space? there is s specialty called 'behavioral optometry' which did find troubles for my 'late reading' son, which I didn't get treatment for because I thought it was 'snake oil.' - and because DS was older and stubburner at the time.

Limited working memory will also contribute to his frustrations, so I would be double-triple sure, to keep providing him with audio books of various topics that appeal to him: Drag him to the library, go to the adult or young adult 'non-fiction' section, and let him choose a few to try. You can allow him to listen at a particular time together (in the car, while you cook), or on his own.

I would also look for something like the Guiness Book of world records for him to read silently. Although my son is a very good reader now (tested at 12th grade, is that possible?)my DS loves little bits of information. Apparently there is something about this generation that wants soundbites in the first place. I got Schott's Almanac 2007 for him through Interlibrary loan and although the wish I could protect him from the adult content, he was, as predicted in heaven. It was like flypaper for him.

I also wonder about silent reading. For a kid with working memory issues, they are likely to enjoy silent reading on a much higher level than they could reading aloud. Just assume that if their head is buried in their, then they are doing ok. I remember my DS waiting for his OT appointment (age 7) silently reading 'Artimis Fowel' and actually losing a whole page when he turned the page one time. I pointed it out and he denied it. I read for another 4 chapter before declaring the book 'too yucky' (I happen to agree) but my point is that it's ok to let him read harder fiction even if he misses 30% of it, if he seems to be enjoying himself. (Sort of reminds me how when the child isn't bottle fed you just can't know how many ounces of milk he got, but there are ways, like wet diapers, that show indirectly) Of course you may still work on reading aloud, but like the distinction between handwriting and composition, remember to let there be a distinction between Reading (aloud) and Reading (silently, for fun).

Could he have read Bunnicula silently?

Anyway, the key to 2E kids is to spend about twice as much energy feeding the gifts as one does with helping the weaknesses. Please don't let the school mentality affect your vision.

I hope I'm on the right track here - appologies if I've missed the mark, ok?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I like Renaissance Learning for picking out books. If you use the advanced search feature you can get lists of books based on reading level and specify fiction/nonfiction, areas of interest, etc. When GS8 is increasing reading level we pick books with lower AR points; in general, lower points mean shorter books. Difficult, but short books don't overwhelm the child as longer books of the same level.
    Renaissance Learning

E
    E
    A couple thoughts...

I definately second the Geronimo Stilton recomendation. Great book with alot of extra white and fun colors and fonts on the page so it doesn't look like alot of reading

Second, depending on your feelings on screen time, many games involve alot of reading. Even if it isn't "Educational" software it can build interest and ability in reading. An ebook reader might work too since you can adjust the font and words per page on many of them.

We have also found that picking out a long book like the complete Chronicles of Narnia allows us to read a chapter a night but all of us take turns reading. DS started reading a few sentences and then passed the book off to one of us. Now it is hard to get him to trade off at the end of a page. We started with larger font books and worked down to about normal.

Good Luck smile

elh0706 #8725 02/12/08 11:21 AM
    K
    K
    I have to 3rd the Geronimo Stilton books. These are the first chapter books DS would willingly read independantly. The format is so fun and the chapter lengths are very manageable.

For a while, DS7 had the reading level, but not the stamina to read page after page of small print.

Q
    Q
    Interesting.
    The catching ball thing, moving through space... my oldest is not the best in those areas.

My oldest enjoys the stories, and doesn't get 'lost' in decoding, BUT she is not good at decoding. She just wants to read.

Is your ds visual-spatial at all? Highly visual? I'm beginning to suspect my oldest is... She is also highly wiggly when reading. I've seen with longer reading, she doesn't like it... I also have to wonder about tracking sometimes, b/c she can lose her place... and with pages that have more words, she struggles... I think the print is smaller, and can be harder to track/follow. Something that is short... usually has bigger print and is easier to track.

Considering she's had oral motor issues and 'clumsy' as a child.. it wouldn't surprise me if there were tracking issues as well...

Anyway, a few things to look into.

One experiment... can you try typing a page out on the computer and see how he does reading it if you increase the size of the print? Or maybe color code each line a different color? Then see how well he reads that.

Tammy

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM