Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    For those who still want it new, but at less cost:

I just wanted to share that the newer versions of many of the ChalkDust math programs are available from the publisher. You just need to look up the ISBN numbers on Cengage Learning or CengageBrain, write down the numbers, and call to order directly from HMHCo. According to the rep, because of changes in policy you cannot order the DVD's online online unless you are a school, but can if you ID yourself as a homeschooler over the phone.

I purchased the Prealgebra 5th edition textbook, student solutions, and DVD's (now down to 5 because of advances in recording) for $225 with shipping. My DD has decided she loves Dana Mosley. wink

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    R
    R
    What do you think is better about this program than using Khan academy (free) on Youtube?

V
    V
    Professionally produced DVD's like chalkdust will contain the complete material for the course, and be completely aligned with the textbook that they are produced for. That may not always be the case with the free stuff like Khan academy. If a parent can fill in what's missing, then the free stuff may be okay.

In my web site, http://www.mymathspace.net,
    I have links to a lot of free math resources, including free technology resources which may help advanced math learners in jr. high/high school dig deeper into math concepts.

As a mathematician and parent, I think it's important for learners to do math in terms of explorations as well as practice. Standard books and videos are good for practice, but for the exploration part - you have to dig around for that.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by Raddy
    What do you think is better about this program than using Khan academy (free) on Youtube?

Actually, I am waiting for the SM 2 videos to come out from him to use with my twins. smile Last I saw they only started with 3A.

We have struggled to find the right upper math program for my DD. I want something I can use consistantly from here forward so we have really been trying to find the "right" thing. It has been a long process but this is the program that she picked. She is drawn to the lectures by Dana Mosley, which was a big surprise and not a program I would have first chosen for her. (Shows you how much I know.) A lot of Prealgebra will be review but I want her to be sure to run through prealgebra with whatever program we think she will continue with so that I am sure of her foundation, being younger and all that jazz. This is available through Calculus. (It helps that she is the oldest of 5 so I can validate some of the cost.)

These programs are marketed as a homeschool program under Chalkdust, but are also put out by Houghton Mifflin/Cengage Learning with the DVD's marketed as instructional support for independent learning of the content with the accompanying textbook and student solutions. They (the DVD's) are only available in current editions to schools and those who homeschool when ordered directly from the publisher. (They are of course available in older editions from sites like amazon.) That gives it a little more weight when being considered by my school district for future credit, and in case my district wishes to see my curriculum, which must "meet or excede" the current PS materials.

I couldn't comment on Khan Academy alone as a program for upper math because it wouldn't meet the criteria of my district as a curriculum. I homeschool as a non public school so that my kids receive auxillary services from the school district, so I have different criteria to meet than someone who just homeschools "under the radar" so to speak in MI.

I just wanted to share an alternative way of purchasing them, since they are $394 plus shipping from Chalkdust.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    R
    R
    vvsmom
    Thanks for the link - there is a lot of good stuff there

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM