Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 86 of 268 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 267 268
    B
    B
    I don't know if anyone has seen the "chocolate math" thing that's been circulating via emails and other places (google it, it's the first thing that comes up), but it might be fun for your kids to try to figure out how it works.
    I didn't really know where to post this, but since I chose here, I should probably add a brag to this...
    DD14 enjoyed that, although it didn't take long at all, I'm sure it would be more of a challenge for younger kids from about 8-10 or so (having said that, *I* probably wouldn't have been able to figure it out very quickly or at all, and I'm in my 40's.... but I'm our family's non-gifted person)... Anyway, after she figured out how that one worked (which was at most 5 minutes), she went to work to create her own trick of the same sort. Not too big of a brag, but still kind of a fun story, I guess.

G
    G
    This one is more of a funny:

DS5 insists we go to the bookstore to buy a math workbook. I am browsing for books for my students and he is browsing in the math workbook section. After awhile he drags me over to his section and shows me a book he's chosen and says, " Let's get this, Math Fundamentals 1st Grade." I scan the book and it seems like he knows most of the material already so I go through a couple more books. I pick up one called, "Math for Gifted Students" and ask him if he would like that one because the work might be more interesting. He thinks about it and says, " I don't know. It's not a present is it? " Rather than explain what gifted means, I just let him buy the one he wanted in the first place.

1 funny/brag:

DS needed to figure out the number of lightbulbs in our apartment for a Dr. Suess book he got for his birthday. Even though we live in a 3 bedroom and pretty small apartment we have a ton of light bulbs! When he told me what he wanted to do I was less than looking forward to this tedious task because I thought we would have to go around and count all of them. DS ran to my room and counted seven light-bulbs and promptly says, " Okay each room has the same number and there are four rooms with 7 so what is 7, 4 times?" He couldn't do the actual multiplication for that but I was pretty impressed that he understood the concept and also a bit embarrassed at myself for not realizing that I actually had to think for a moment to realize that indeed all 4 rooms had the exact configuration and number of lights!

Graceful Mom: I love that type of thinking and my son does the same thing. He comes up with a way of approaching a problem that is so unique and logical and I just go, "Oh!!"

I also love your DS's hesitation about the "gifted" book...he doesn't want to waste any gift points LOL. Nan

A
    A
    I love reading these every day on my to work! Makes me smile.

My 14 month old dd woke up yesterday looked out side and told me its raining. I looked out the window and sure enough its raining.

H
    H
    Originally Posted by angelsmom0605
    My 14 month old dd woke up yesterday looked out side and told me its raining. I looked out the window and sure enough its raining.

These kids are extra observant. They notice every little details.

Quick proud mommy moment.

A few minutes ago DS7's school called me. I immediately held my breath because usually they call when he is in trouble and he doesn't even start school until next week!

They were calling to tell me that he was chosen as one of 2 students in his school to recite the Pledge of Allegiance at the next Board of Mayor and Alderman meeting. The other student is a 5th grade girl. I am so surprised that my son (normally the trouble maker!) was chosen for this honor.

Crisc
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by HelloBaby
    [quote=angelsmom0605]

They are. She dosen't miss a thing. She is trying to sing some things now ring around the rosie and itsy bitsy spider so cute with the hand motions. I want her stay this age forever i am loving it.

Mr W (2y6m) loves to help cook.

Yesterday he wanted to cut stuff up.

I picked out a knife and gave it to him and told him to make cubes of the cheese. I gave him strips to cube - one at a time.

He told me he wanted four strips.

I gave him four. He stacked the strips, then cut them all the same time. (This was his invention.)

He then wanted the block of cheese.

And proceeded the cube the whole thing by doing slices, then strips, then cubes. He cut two slices, stacked them, did the strips, etc.

He can mix pancakes all by himself - even the eggs. I still do the pouring when it comes to cooking. He likes to flip the pancakes, too. We use an electric griddle as the one on the stove does not have a plastic guard around the edge and he burn a knuckle once.

Originally Posted by angelsmom0605
    Originally Posted by HelloBaby
    [quote=angelsmom0605]

They are. She dosen't miss a thing. She is trying to sing some things now ring around the rosie and itsy bitsy spider so cute with the hand motions. I want her stay this age forever i am loving it.

Treasure it all. They do grow up fast. My DD just turned 4 and I was a little sad thinking where did the time go? But I definitely wouldn't go back. I love this little person she has become.

This is an old brag the hubby reminded me of last night. When our son was a tiny baby the hubby did the "wa-wa-wa" Indian pat on the baby's mouth once when he was crying to distract him and get him to stop. It made the baby so mad and he obviously thought about it because the next time my husband tried the same trick the baby started crying through his nose instead of his mouth so that it wouldn't work and his cry would be heard in all it's glory.

Page 86 of 268 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM