Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 21 22
    NJMom #83417 08/24/10 03:26 PM
    Originally Posted by NJMom
    I may never make it to Day 2. The sink is going to do me in! We have hard water, and hard water buildup around the faucets.

If I were doing this, I would make "friendly ammendments" to her rules. Ask yourself, what's the point of the "shine the sink" rule? It's not that there's something sacred about the sink. It's that it's symbolic of getting your act together to make at least one little thing look under control every single day, and hopefully that will radiate out into the rest of your life. So pick something else. For my mom, it's making her bed. For her, having the bed made makes the whole house look a little more under control, and it affects her whole day. Whatever you pick, mentally substitute that whenever FlyLady says "shine your sink."

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by MegMeg
    I may never make it to Day 2. The sink is going to do me in! We have hard water, and hard water buildup around the faucets.

If I were doing this, I would make "friendly ammendments" to her rules. Ask yourself, what's the point of the "shine the sink" rule? It's not that there's something sacred about the sink. It's that it's symbolic of getting your act together to make at least one little thing look under control every single day, and hopefully that will radiate out into the rest of your life. So pick something else. For my mom, it's making her bed. For her, having the bed made makes the whole house look a little more under control, and it affects her whole day. Whatever you pick, mentally substitute that whenever FlyLady says "shine your sink."

Exactly! Also - I think it's great to make progress towards the shiny sink. Sometimes it takes many days of small progress until you get something that looks good, and then all of the sudden - WOW!
    This reminds me of when we modify our children's homework, we write down that the child worked for 30 minutes and then we told them to stop. It isn't the result that matters so much as that we made the effot. I'm not reccomending 30 minutes on your sink each day. More like get the sink cleaned and spend an extra 30 seconds on the mineral build up. Over the course of days, you might be more of a force to be reconned with than the hard water (or not.)

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    N
    N
    You guys are right, of course, though my perfectionism makes me hate the idea of having to compromise already!

Perhaps my "sink" will be the mudroom. It's the last room everyone sees on their way out, and the first one we see on returning home, so I feel like it sets the tone for the rest of the house.

Now I just need to come up with an appropriate routine, and method of keeping it under control.

NJMom #83422 08/24/10 04:45 PM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    You guys are right, of course, though my perfectionism makes me hate the idea of having to compromise already!

Perhaps my "sink" will be the mudroom. It's the last room everyone sees on their way out, and the first one we see on returning home, so I feel like it sets the tone for the rest of the house.

Now I just need to come up with an appropriate routine, and method of keeping it under control.
    I think that the mudroom would make everyone smile. Flylady talks about perfectionism all the time - you aren't alone in this. Lots of all or nothing thinking.

I almost wonder if 'the mudroom' is too large, part of that 'all or nothing' thinking again. Can you pick one surface in the mudroom that falls apart the quickest for a 'quick bit of love' at the end of the day? Is there a bench that collects stuff, or the floor? Remember that Flylady doesn't say: 'Start by cleaning the whole day's dishes, the drainer, the counters next to the sink, the kitchen floor, the microwave, the burners....' See where I'm going with this?

I just want to make sure you don't 'crash and burn.'
    Any little thing makes such a difference.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

N
    N
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I almost wonder if 'the mudroom' is too large, part of that 'all or nothing' thinking again. Can you pick one surface in the mudroom that falls apart the quickest for a 'quick bit of love' at the end of the day? Is there a bench that collects stuff, or the floor? Remember that Flylady doesn't say: 'Start by cleaning the whole day's dishes, the drainer, the counters next to the sink, the kitchen floor, the microwave, the burners....' See where I'm going with this?

Hmmm. Good point. Perhaps the bench or the floor would be sufficient.

Thanks for the input. I feel better already.

smile

NJMom #83470 08/25/10 04:53 AM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Perhaps the bench or the floor would be sufficient.
    That sounds reasonable. The only way to know for sure is to try and find out.

I feel better already.

So glad to hear it. I think problem-solving and perspective-shifting are the greatest happiness tools!

I'm so proud to report that I didn't log in here today until I was 'dressed to shoes!' Yippee!
    Today I want you get up and get dressed to lace up shoes when you first get up in the morning. This means fix your hair and face too.

I was having trouble figuring out what 'when you first get up' meant for me, as I like to shower and do my sun salutations barefoot. ((Humor Alert)) I think I realized that for me
    'when you first get up'
    means
    'before I log on to Gifted Issues Discussion Forum, etc.'
    but I didn't have the discipline to do that yesterday, and I wasn't even sure about committing to it. Today I did it, and I'm writing it down for tomorrow.

N
    N
    Way to go, Grinity!

Today I will "scour" my mudroom bench!

(And I'm still working on that sink, a little bit at a time. Vinegar is slightly helpful, but not the cure-all I was hoping for.)

NJMom #83477 08/25/10 07:07 AM
    I'll admit that I could really, REALLY use this, but I may never make it to Day 2. The sink is going to do me in!

We have hard water, and hard water buildup around the faucets. Elbow grease is not going to get rid of it. If and when I actually get my shiny sink, I'm going to have to hire a plumber as well, because the faucets leak around the bottom, so the hard water buildup is going to keep coming back.

frown

This is my problem, too! I was going to report that I am a failure and stuck at day 1...glad to hear someone else has a hard water problem. I don't even own SOS pads, and I don't know what instrument to use to get the rock hard build up off from edges. I'm still trying though. The sink part looks great, but the faucet edges are still yuck. I guess I will stick with day 1 til I get it!

Sink Done
    Shoes on
    Biked DD to school (this is my big daily goal for now)
    lists in the bathroom and kitchen - now I need to use them!

I thought about doing laundry... but that didn't start before I left for work..

Now to work.

A
    A
    I want to jump in but am hesitant. I tried it once before and found myself giving up. Maybe having everyone else doing it will be fine? I also found that some steps don't really apply because, for instance, I work. So every morning I get up and have to get dressed and prep. Being possibly Aspie, getting stuck in a middle of the way step means I have to work really hard to ignore that step and go on to the next.

Page 5 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 21 22

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM