Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 77 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    twiceExceptional, robertjohn5814, Malumier, Roadie, Skittles4
    11168 Registered Users
    July
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Page 3 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22 23 >
    Topic Options
    #83327 - 08/23/10 05:32 PM Re: FlyLady Experiment [Re: Grinity]
    GeoMamma Offline

Oooh! I've been using Flylady for years and it was a real lifesaver. But lately I've been having some issues that have taken the wind out of my sails so to speak. It would be great to do the baby steps again with others, instead of sitting here drinking my fourth cup of coffee in 3 hours....

#83328 - 08/23/10 05:50 PM Re: FlyLady Experiment [Re: Grinity]
    GeoMamma Offline

Just did my sink - yay!

#83330 - 08/23/10 06:41 PM Re: FlyLady Experiment [Re: Grinity]
    keet Offline

I will try this. I've started before but haven't stuck to it. I have to do it on my own terms, and here's my big confession:
    I ain't wearin' no shoes!

#83333 - 08/23/10 06:54 PM Re: FlyLady Experiment [Re: Grinity]
    jesse Offline

Loc: twilightzone
    Hee hee. Will be setting up little one with a "different" version and setting up hubby too! (I aint gonna be the only one shining a sink.) Share the work, I say.

laugh

#83341 - 08/23/10 08:33 PM Re: FlyLady Experiment [Re: Grinity]
    sittin pretty Offline

Loc: Sunny AZ
    sink is clean, feet are bare . . .

#83342 - 08/23/10 08:38 PM Re: FlyLady Experiment [Re: jesse]
    kcab Offline

Loc: Sparta, apparently
    Okay...I shined my sink!

One problem I have, Grinity, is that I never actually lose things, in spite of the mess. For some reason, I almost always know where everything (including everyone else's stuff) is. It's a gift and a liability, all rolled in one, as everyone else relies on my memory to quickly locate items.

I'm going to do this though. I'm hoping the limited amount will keep me from getting sucked into excessive, unnecessary, housework projects.

Perish the thought of outdoor shoes worn indoors... I'll wear my indoor shoes (which don't lace, neither do the outdoor ones, for that matter, except the hiking boots :D)

#83348 - 08/24/10 03:09 AM Re: FlyLady Experiment [Re: jesse]
    Grinity Offline

Loc: Connecticut
    Originally Posted By: jesse
    Hee hee. Will be setting up little one with a "different" version and setting up hubby too! (I aint gonna be the only one shining a sink.) Share the work, I say.

laugh

I know the feeling so well of 'I aint gonna be the only one' but I can say from personal experience that Flylady is on to something when she says that just the sight of you showing what's possible will change other people's behavior and attitudes quite a bit. Partially because your own 'mini-martyr' attitude will have changed.

If you already have a working version for your child and husband, of course keep up with it, but in most situations, I would say, 'just try to do the babysteps yourself for 31 days and then evaluate what systems you want to set up for other people.'
    Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Yippee and a 'Go Me' to everyone who shined their sink last night!

#83351 - 08/24/10 04:00 AM Re: FlyLady Experiment [Re: Grinity]
    Kate Offline

Loc: Florida
    yay to sink shining...and DH promised to keep it clear of dishes!!! (normally he lets them pile up) I'm believing it is true that if I set the example, the others will follow along! (I know from experience the reverse is not true: I have tried ignoring the dishes to see just how high they will pile...thinking DH has GOT to see and do something about them...but he doesn't) Nan

#83352 - 08/24/10 04:16 AM Re: FlyLady Experiment [Re: Kate]
    Grinity Offline

Loc: Connecticut
    Originally Posted By: NanRos
    (I know from experience the reverse is not true: I have tried ignoring the dishes to see just how high they will pile...thinking DH has GOT to see and do something about them...but he doesn't) Nan

LOL! BTDT...same results.

Ok - I'm awake, I ran to the kitchen to see what feeling looking at the sink would inspire. It is pretty. Sort of a gentle 'ohh that IS nice' but the earth didn't move.

I've decided that my 'nest' isn't really empty after all - it's just that I'm finally hatching myself here. I think I had to learn how to be a mommy before I would dare to try hatching myself.

Dressed to shoes? I find this one confusing, as a Payroll She.
    Originally Posted By: Flylady.net
    Why do I have to get dressed to my shoes?

Several years ago I worked for a direct sales cosmetics company. One main rule for that company was that you could not make a single phone call in the morning unless you were totally dressed all the way to dress shoes. The reason behind this duty was that you act differently when you have clothes and shoes on. You are more professional. The customer can tell when you don't feel good about the way you look. So, if getting dressed makes that big of an impression on someone that can't even see you, then what is it going to do to those who can see you. Mainly yourself.

Many stay at home moms (SAHM's) are guilty of not seeing the need to get dressed all the way to the shoes. They figure, since only their children will be seeing them, why bother? Well, I am here to tell you, that you will be amazed at the difference in your attitude about yourself, your children, and your home when you feel good about how you look. I don't want to hear, "I don't wear shoes in my house". Well you do now. Buy or clean up a pair just for that reason. - FlyLady

So the first thing I do when I get up is to go outside with the dog, and I did put on slipons for that. Then I got into workout clothes to walk with my BFF for 45 minutes, which includes sneakers, but not makeup (I never, ever wear makeup!) - hair, well, it's kind of the shake and go type.

So my 'general plan' is wake-dog-sun salutations-shower-dress to shoes

or

wake-dog-walk with BFF-sun salutations-shower-dress to shoes

I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew. Time will tell.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

#83353 - 08/24/10 04:35 AM Re: FlyLady Experiment [Re: Grinity]
    Breakaway4 Offline

Loc: MA
    Okay, I am a day late but I am in.

Kcab, I am with you on finding meaningful work but I believe that energetically speaking it helps to have things in order at home etc. When my house is a wreck and my energy is low than how can I present an effective enthusiastic self at interviews or even to myself when searching? I also can always find things but if I am not home all is "lost". :-)

Shine on sinks!!!!

Page 3 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22 23 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    SIG Summer Camp
    by Irena
    Yesterday at 01:47 PM
    Elitism
    by spaghetti
    06/29/22 07:54 AM
    Confidence Intervals
    by Emigee