Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 77 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    twiceExceptional, robertjohn5814, Malumier, Roadie, Skittles4
    11168 Registered Users
    July
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Page 21 of 23 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 >
    Topic Options
    #86131 - 09/28/10 11:06 AM Re: FlyLady Experiment [Re: GeoMamma]
    Maryann1 Offline

Loc: Midwest
    Hooray for taking on a job that seems so huge. Babysteps will see it through.

So, to answer out of order:
    Originally Posted By: GeoMamma
    b) Half the stuff is in scattered in several different places

Get it all in the same place. If you want to start with clear containers first, so much the better, but just move it all together.

c) Every time your toddler goes in there he wants to eat the cat food smile
    Don't worry about it. Cat food won't hurt him smile our DD ate the cat food too. We just got upset when she decided to put all the cat food in their water bowl. It becomes inedible quickly.
    a) It's craft supplies and you are a home educating ex-teacher
    Good luck! I have a hard enough time with my weaving supplies. A wire rack/shelf and see through tubs (WITH LIDS) really helped me. If the lid doesn't fit, get a larger container or an annex container smile

Sometimes I feel like I need to take my own advice. wink

Maryann

#86152 - 09/28/10 04:21 PM Re: FlyLady Experiment [Re: Grinity]
    onthegomom Offline

[quote=Grinity
    My DH also is hard to get started on the fix/replace actions. I think of it as executive issues.

One kind of executive function is noticing that there is a problem.

A seperate issue is getting started on fixing.

Maintaining focus while fixing is a seperate strength.

Sparing a little bit of attention to keep checking that it's a good idea to continue the job you started out to do is a forth executive function.

So a person can be good at one, two, three or four of these executive functions. DH agrees that since he is good at maintaining focus until the job is done, he's a little extra reluctant to notice problems in the first place, since he dreads all that maintaning focus that he knows will enevitably follow noticing.

Smiles,
    Grinity[/quote]

Grinity - You are so funny. Thanks for the laugh. I have to admit that many times I write LOL and I just think somethings funny but this time I really laughed.

Edited by onthegomom (09/28/10 04:26 PM)

#86178 - 09/29/10 03:59 AM Re: FlyLady Experiment [Re: Grinity]
    GeoMamma Offline

Thanks everyone, it's good to have the extra motivation. I have already thrown out a garbage bag ful of rubbish smile Very proud of me.

Originally Posted By: Grinity
    Usually there is because 'suprise, suprise' me from last year isn't perfect about predicting what this year's me will still be interested in. I think it's only perfectionism to think that last year's me should be able to do that in the first place.

I like that, I'll have to remember it.

I also like onthegomom's idea of allocating space and what doesn't fit can't be kept. We are really short on space so that may have to happen.

And I'm going to try to get some clear plactic containers tommorrow.

Thanks. smile

#86200 - 09/29/10 09:05 AM Re: FlyLady Experiment [Re: onthegomom]
    Grinity Offline

Loc: Connecticut
    Originally Posted By: onthegomom
    Grinity - You are so funny. Thanks for the laugh. I have to admit that many times I write LOL and I just think somethings funny but this time I really laughed.

No wonder my son took on the role of Class Clown before we figured out that he had special educational needs. I do love life's little ironies.

Basically, you have to check everything I say to see if it makes sense to you, because I have been known to exagerate for effect! But I did read a book about all the different Executive Functions and I'm not exaggerating with that list. It's really true.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

#86426 - 10/01/10 07:53 PM Re: FlyLady Experiment [Re: Grinity]
    onthegomom Offline

My new habit that I've been working on is going great for 2wks now! I'm so proud of myself for this simple thing. I've just wanted to do this for years. As soon as I get home after my snackers make a mess, I use the hand vaccum. On Fridays, I quickly do the windows and wipe interior. My car looks neat all the time!Happy dance. It only takes 5 mins.

#86459 - 10/02/10 04:08 PM Re: FlyLady Experiment [Re: Grinity]
    GeoMamma Offline

Yay, onthegomom! Congratulations. What a great idea!

I've had a stomach bug go through my house, so I haven't got much done this week - the dungeon remains dungeon-ish smile Hopefully we will all be feeling better soon and I'll get something done.

#86499 - 10/03/10 02:55 PM Re: FlyLady Experiment [Re: Grinity]
    onthegomom Offline

I wish I could send some Chicken soup. Feel better soon.

#86706 - 10/05/10 10:52 PM Re: FlyLady Experiment [Re: Grinity]
    GeoMamma Offline

Thanks, onthegomom, we are all better now, but it took a few days. I'll take some virtual chicken soup, thank you smile

So back to the dungeon: I through out all my class notes from my last degree. I'm not sure why I still had them. Felt very cathartic!

My next goal is to tackle the paper-clutter pigeon holes built into the bookshelf. I don't even really know what is in half of those.

#86762 - 10/06/10 04:24 PM Re: FlyLady Experiment [Re: Grinity]
    onthegomom Offline

GeoMamma- are you going to do the whole flylady program?

I still have not started. I'm just doing a few things on my own. I'm hoping I can get my bedroom and closet cleaned up soon. After that I want to start the fly lady program. Maybe someone here will do it with me. That would make it more fun. OR maybe I'll recruit a friend I know that wants her house more organized.

#86764 - 10/06/10 04:39 PM Re: FlyLady Experiment [Re: onthegomom]
    kcab Offline

Loc: Sparta, apparently
    I'm in your shoes, OTGM. I tried to start earlier but it was too crazy just before school started. Not sure if I'm up to it even now though.

GeoMamma - I threw out a bunch of my old class notes this summer - good to see them go. I did keep some things that were important to me. I also threw out a bunch of memorabilia saved from when I was a kid (that my parents had given me to get it out of their basement). I made a lot of progress until DD saw what I was up to and started oohing and aahing over my preschool scribblings! She made me stop...for now anyway. I've switched back to removing outgrown clothes and toys.

Page 21 of 23 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    SIG Summer Camp
    by Irena
    Yesterday at 01:47 PM
    Elitism
    by spaghetti
    06/29/22 07:54 AM
    Confidence Intervals
    by Emigee
    06/27/22 02:08 PM