Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 12 of 22 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 21 22
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    So I woke up wondering, "What is the actual task of Day 8?"
    I looked it up.

Declutter a few minutes at a time.

Vague, but delicious.

Who is going to declutter what? This could be as small as your pocketbook or one pen/pencil mug.

love and more love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Unfortunately my declutter area only became cluttered this morning after a visit from the "Backpack Fairy". But I will tackle it cheerfully and with music that no one is here to dislike!

Breakaway

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Breakaway4
    cheerfully and with music
    Way to rock Breaker!
    What is the Backpack Fairy? IS she a good witch or a bad witch?
    Grins

K
    K
    I'm working on the laundry room. I started yesterday with clearing the floor and one of the shelving units. I got rid of four boxes and a large trash bag full of stuff. Today I'm tackling the wrapping paper and holiday swag shelf. I'm on a declutter roll!
    BTW, I think that the backpack fairy is evil too. She always seems to cause things to drop out of my kids packs and kick them under the piano.

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by knute974
    I got rid of four boxes and a large trash bag full of stuff. Today I'm tackling the wrapping paper and holiday swag shelf. I'm on a declutter roll!

You Go Knute! Awesome! Well done!

At our house the backpack fairy was always casting the veil of invisibility over the completed homework when DS got to school during his Elementary Years. Ug!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Originally Posted by Grinity
    What is the Backpack Fairy? IS she a good witch or a bad witch?
    Grins

The backpack fairy fills your backpack with school supplies and some fun stuff like soccer ball shaped erasers or heart shaped paper clips.

I started it to get their mind off of first day jitters. :-)

Breakaway

Originally Posted by Breakaway4
    The backpack fairy fills your backpack with school supplies and some fun stuff like soccer ball shaped erasers or heart shaped paper clips.

I started it to get their mind off of first day jitters. :-)

Breakaway

That is so cute, I love it!

We had a bit of a shock here, so most of my day is gone, but I'm going to declutter my desk, again smile

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by GeoMamma
    I'm going to declutter my desk, again smile [/quote
    Go GeoMamma! I'll bet you are looking for an out of the way place to have a 'real desk' and a potted plant to but on your 'middle of everything' desk about now, eh?

Today is day 10: You can do anything for 15 minutes? Isn't it the truth?
    [quote]We have already been using our timers for 2 minutes and now 5 minutes. Today we are going to learn the power of just 15 minutes. You can do anything for 15 minutes. This is all about getting started and giving ourselves permission to stop when the timer goes off. You cannot restart the timer either. This is not a race to finish in 15 minutes either! The timer helps to keep us focused on what we are doing.

Now set your timer for 15 minutes and go gather up all the trash you can find to throw away and put it in the garbage can outside. Then set your timer for another 15 minutes and sit down and put your feet up and read a favorite magazine till the timer goes off.

Have 15 minutes of fun, ok?
    Love and More Love,
    Grinity

I
    I
    I've been out of town and missed the start of this thread... but I have been fluttering (more successfully some times than others, my house is pretty large and it is hard to keep up even with Flylady's help) for about 9 months. I think it helps a lot! A few things that have worked for me:

- You can get the emails grouped so they all come as one e-mail for the day. So you don't need a separate e-mail box smile I am not quite sure how, but mine is set up that way.

- I love some of the tools she sells on her web site. I swear by the Rubba Scrubba (it has a zillion uses, seriously!), those pink dusting mitts, and the purple rags. It is MUCH easier to clean with the right tools!

- I used the 15 minutes at a time approach to clean my horrible home office. It really worked.

- Don't think you have gotten there yet, but one of her things is "swish and swipe" - clean the toilet bowl every morning. I have modified that to "do one bathroom cleaning item every morning", and the bathrooms I use stay reasonably clean. So I might take out the trash one day, sweep another, wipe the mirrors on another, etc.

- If anyone has any tips on getting teenagers to do the Riley Challenges, let me know! Mine roll their eyes...

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hey Intparent!
    Great to hear that you've been a happy flutterbaby over the last 9 months.

No tips on getting teenagers to do the Riley Challenges - I think that they have to really be internally motivated for that to work, but I'll bet that you do plenty of whole group participation 'set the timer for 15 minutes and boogie the the main living area of the house'es, right?

I guess the tip is to stay positive, don't let the Martyr out, and keep praying while you wait. I think it will happen as they see the change in you and the house - but don't make me promise when. But honestly, if they notice that they miss FLYing at age 23,27, or 32 and they know they can find you and get the help they need, isn't that almost as good?

Here's Flylady's 'Babystep for Today'

Originally Posted by Flylady
    Add an inspiration page to your Control Journal

Today we are going to add another page to our Control Journals. We are going to call this our Inspirational Page. On this page I want you to spend 15 minutes writing down some of your favorite inspirational phrases. Some of mine are;

You can do anything for 15 minutes,
    Housework done incorrectly still blesses your family
    You can�t organize clutter; you can only get rid of it.

I know you have others that you love. Use this page as a place to write them down when you see something that touches your heart.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Last edited by Grinity; 09/03/10 08:47 AM.

Page 12 of 22 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 21 22

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM