Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 87 of 268 1 2 85 86 87 88 89 267 268
    Originally Posted by crisc
    Quick proud mommy moment.

A few minutes ago DS7's school called me. I immediately held my breath because usually they call when he is in trouble and he doesn't even start school until next week!

Ha ha This is my son, too. I got an email from my son's teacher on Monday the 1st day of school around lunch time and my stomach dropped thinking OH NO, not on the 1st day of school! But it was a compliment!!! Yippeeeeeeee smile Nan

My DS1 Started reading! I'm so proud. (Maybe not ultra early in this group, but early enough I don't feel like I can brag to other parents) It was a big thing to overcome his perfectionism enough to try and read a word. YAY!

Yay for your ds, GeoMamma! It is so fun to watch them start to read. It really opens up the world to kids.

Originally Posted by NanRos
    my stomach dropped thinking OH NO, not on the 1st day of school! But it was a compliment!!! Yippeeeeeeee smile Nan

2 emails from Adults at DS14's new school with compliments:
    1) 'engaged' 'polite and intelligent'
    2) 'learning well' 'thoughful'

and an excited phone call that 'There is SO MUCH work' but with a tone of pride.

Yippee!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    B
    B
    Week 1 of High School is over! DD14 has showed major improvements in areas of organization as she has already had many assignments and has started them before they were due. She has also had to learn to keep track of time and to make sacrifices as she now has to wake up the earliest she ever has, at 6:00, in order to make it to marching band in time. The strange thing? She mentioned that she feels really happy and doesn't know why. I've been telling her for years that getting organized is a mood improver, and she never believed me....
    Also, I kind of have to brag about her challenging courseload, 3 Honors, 2 AP, Band, and Speech. 2 of the 3 Honors classes will be very easy (for her at least), but rumor has it that Honors Biology is the hardest course available at the school and that majority of kids drop down to regulars around the end of the first semester. Science is her strength, so it shouldn't be *that* hard, especially if her organization skills continue throughout the year. AP Geography will be hard, as it's an AP course, but I think she will manage just fine, as she told me that the syllabus looked like stuff she mostly already knew, and the textbook was interesting despite being, well... a college textbook. The other AP will be probably the hardest of her courses, as it is a part english, part humanities, part world history type course. She's starting band with 3 years less experience than the rest of the students on her instrument (she switched from Orch to Band at the end of 8th grade), and said that she is already about as good as some of the people in her class. (granted that she is in the lowest of the 5 bands, but still, I think that is an accomplishment) Marching is early in the morning, plus games and other things after school certain days. And Speech, well, public speaking isn't her thing... So she has a difficult course load. Yes, she may struggle keeping up with the work at points, yes she still might not be as good as the other band students by the end of the year, but... wow! I get the feeling this is going to be a *good* year. (not to mention that she is combining with 2 other schools that are about all the children of engineers and such, and there are a large number of highly gifted+ kids for her to hang out with.

D
    D
    This was the first week of Pre-K for DD when I picked her up her teacher said she had papers in her backpack and maybe DD would read them to me in the car on the way home; they were school rules, newsletter and menu for the month. I guess she realized DD could read since she read about 50 pages of her chapter book during rest time today. Today was the first day DD took her own book to school.

T
    T
    this isn't really a brag per se, but is the sort of "cute" thing that goes on at my house with my two and four year old DDs that I don't typically share: my four year old DD wanted to find the letter Y magnet so that she could pretend it was an antibody since they have a Y-like shape. Oh yeah, she had fun pretending our dryer ball with spikes was a virus too. Then I found she had my cognitive neuroscience book from college days on the coffee table and was looking at it for fun...

Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
    DD wanted to find the letter Y magnet so that she could pretend it was an antibody since they have a Y-like shape.

Oh my gosh, a girl after my own heart! I love immunology!!

My little guy will be two this week. He likes to spell his name on the fridge with magnets. Yesterday my dad came over to visit. He came in the house and said, "Where's Sean?" and little guy ran to the fridge and pointed to his name as proud as could be. He can't talk yet, but at least he can spell!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
    this isn't really a brag per se, but is the sort of "cute" thing that goes on at my house with my two and four year old DDs that I don't typically share: my four year old DD wanted to find the letter Y magnet so that she could pretend it was an antibody since they have a Y-like shape. Oh yeah, she had fun pretending our dryer ball with spikes was a virus too. Then I found she had my cognitive neuroscience book from college days on the coffee table and was looking at it for fun...
    This is just like our house, too - what fun!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    We are homeschooling this year dd7 & dd5, dd7 let my dh know all he had to do was give her the teacher guide and she'd figure out what she needed to know.

Page 87 of 268 1 2 85 86 87 88 89 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM