Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    #82194 08/08/10 06:39 PM
    K
    keet Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Is there a difference between ADHD and an Executive Function problem?

My understanding is that one can have EF problems without ADHD, but not ADHD without EF problems. Some writers believe that ADHD is -in it's essence - an EF problem.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I
    I
    My D has EF problems without ADHD. She has tested as "inconclusive" on ADHD both times we have had her checked. She was diagnosed as having a non-verbal learning disability, which seems to be at the root of her EF problems.

A
    A
    ADHD is the current DSM terminology, and (sigh) the DSM is not known for keeping up with the current research as well as one might hope. Executive functioning is a broad set of stuff your brain can do, and regulating attention is a subset of that.

K
    keet Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks, Aimee, for putting that in terms I can understand. Now can you just tell me how to fix it? laugh

Originally Posted by keet
    Thanks, Aimee, for putting that in terms I can understand. Now can you just tell me how to fix it? laugh

Not Aimee, but:
    Practice, Practice, Practice!

Turns out that EF is a whole bundle of strengths and weaknesses, so the plan is too observe exactly when the most bothersome EF glitches occur, then brainstorm all the possible ways to teach the specific missing skill, then to provide ever lighter levels of support while the learner practices.

Personally, on of the best places I've gotten support for my EF glitches is Flylady.net.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Also, breaking tasks down into small steps helps. (Tying shoes was a disaster FOREVER...we literally worked on each piece at a time over and over like practicing a difficult piano piece.) For remembering homework (for example) the steps might be: write it down at school, put it in notebook, get notebook out at home, read note, do homework. All those individual steps have to be completed in order to get homework done. Nan

K
    keet Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Turns out that EF is a whole bundle of strengths and weaknesses,

What are the strengths? I'm not trying to sound overly negative, but is this like auditory v. visual learners where there really are strengths on both sides?

What I mean, Keet, is that there are many Executive Functions, some of which might be strong and others might be weak. I read that in 'Smart but Scattered.' There was even a test so I could learn the names of my strength areas so I could better use them to compensate for my weak areas of EF.

Example: I have almost zero ability to keep track of time. That's an executive function that I'm weak in. But I'm super strong at setting up systems to compensate for my challenge areas. Looking at the big picture and setting up systems is an area of EF that I'm strong in.

I used my strong ability to set up systems to brainstorm a few ideas to keep me on track, and found a few that work for me, such as having a watch with a timer on it and setting that timer for 5 minutes throughout the day so that when the watch beeps I take a look around and remember what I was supposed to be doing.

That specific trick won't work for everyone, but being a systems thinker helped me find the trick that works for me.

Being generally weak in EF isn't exactly a strength - but there are some wonderful upsides. For example 'being in the moment' is really easy for me. Marching to the beat of my own drummer - also easy, since I can't even hear anyone else's drummer!

I'm also more accepting of human frailty since I get frequent reminders of my own human frailties. I've used the weaknesses in EF to learn to laugh at myself. It's also made me a bit skeptical of the glories of having strong EF and jumping through societies' every hoop. I would call all this making lemonade out of lemons rather that a strength for weak EF.

I hope this makes more sense, yes?
    Grinity

J
    J
    Which ones in particular are you having problems with? I just went through a list of what they are on a website and I have to say my DS (ADHD diagnosis) has trouble with most or all of them.

For my DS notes helped a lot. I wrote each step to brushing his teeth and getting dressed on his bathroom mirror. He liked having them there and while he sometimes forgot to read them smile they really did seem to help.

I also teach him things one small step at a time. "Take the lid off of the toothpaste. Put the toothpaste on your brush." and so on. Even when it's not time to brush his teeth we talk about the steps. I'm hoping that the repeating will help it stick.

I have to laugh at him (and he has a good sense of humor about it too) because so often he just leaves out huge important steps that seem obvious to me. He routinely puts on his clothes over his pajamas. He's been known to forget to take off his clothes before getting into the shower.

The executive function that deals with frustration has been a hard one for us. I tried to teach DS a little bit of meditating. When he starts to get really angry I try to have him close his eyes and take deep breaths and count to 10 before trying again. Sometimes I don't catch it in time though and he has a full blown meltdown.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM