Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by vmere
    My sister suggests waiting to do any testing until K or 1st grade. I guess at this point we need to do a little more reading and maybe not mention gifted!

Another wonderful book to keep you company while you wait is:
    5 Levels of Gifted - Great Potential Press - Guiding Gifted
    www.giftedbooks.com/productdetails.asp?id=136

Waiting a bit is a great idea, unless you need to make decisions NOW about kindy placement/skipping kindy/adjusting preschool so that it's fun.

Does the current preschool have an older age group in the same building? Sometimes they will allow a child to spend part of the day with older kids to see how the child reacts.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    V
    vmere Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Thanks Grinity!
    DD is in a full day Montessori program. DD keeps school and home separate. We hear no details. When pressed, DD tells us she hates lessons and never gets them. I don�t believe that for a second. I do think DD is a perfectionist and may need a little more urging to try harder work. I think she may enjoy school more then. I am weary of pushing her to the point she shuts down. I have a conference with the director tomorrow.

Originally Posted by vmere
    I have a conference with the director tomorrow.

Oh goodie!

Is there an older mixed age group that she can try joining for part or all of the day?

Can she do the school half-day? (If that works for your family)

Do they know that DD is telling you she hates lessons and never gets them? Do they know that DD barely talks about school?

My DS felt that he was 'too stupid' to find the hidden trick in questions that were 'too easy' for him. He'd work really hard and then give up in exhasperation. At that age he just couldn't believe that the adults would give him work that required Zero effort. I didn't really get that he could be so far beyond his classmates at that point.

Perfectionism can be a result of many things. I see it more as a symptom of spending too many hours in a situation where 'too little' is expected of a child than as a primary problem, although it can become one.

Most kids know perfectly well is expected of kids at their age, and what the other kids in their 'catagory' are doing. It's a lot easier to entice a child to do harder work by surrounding her with kids who are doing the same than it is to ask the teacher to 'push' although sometimes a push is needed. If the teacher doesn't believe that it is right to push your particular child, then you won't get far. In the US it's assumed that all children advance equally if the school is doing their job well, so if you DD is a tiny bit above average, it will seem wrong to many teachers to 'push' her to do harder material.

It is wearing to keep pushing to the point of tantrum, but once the perfectionistic behavior is in place, it will take plenty of tantrums before a child is ready to take academic risks again.

Amazing to think that a 4 year old can already be 'socialized out of showing what she knows' but that just shows a high EQ, which is a great asset, once she gets past the perfectionism.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Amazing to think that a 4 year old can already be 'socialized out of showing what she knows' but that just shows a high EQ, which is a great asset, once she gets past the perfectionism.

What a lovely way to think of it. My 4 y.o. is already doing this and he has never been to daycare, preschool, or kindy. frown One of the many reasons I've been looking for some peers for him.

anyway...

vmere - I think it sounds like you are doing the right thing for your daughter. I also think the responses you have received are fairly average, unfortunately. Don't let it stop you. Many people don't really know what giftedness is, and so can not always recognize it.

Keep reading on the forums. I have learned so much here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM