Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #8220 02/04/08 09:37 AM
    CFK Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Removed

Dottie #8230 02/04/08 11:36 AM
    Ghost will be writing ACT for the first time this coming Saturday. We do have a booklet, but he has not looked at it yet. I do not think there is going to be a time to do an online test, but I will make him go throught the booklet so he at least knows what type of questions there are.
    His SAT score from last year (6th grade) put him on 99% pecentile in Math , 98% in reading and 99% in writing , according to the table above. He just did SAT again in January. He thinks that his MAth score will be higher but his LA score lower. We will see :-)
    I want this year to be the last he writes any of those tests. He had to miss an entire fencing league because o that, the day he is writing ACT there is a Klondike, which he is going to be majorly late for and we really had to pull our resources to get him up on that mountain later in the day. I thik that he will have enough data to last him through his junior year of HS.

Ania #8234 02/04/08 01:22 PM
    acs Offline
    I think I might have been the one who mentioned the test book. DS will be taking his first ACT in Saturday. We got the book to make sure that it would be worth giving up a Saturday morning to take the test (Ania--I hear you. When they get to this age, there seems to be some activity every weekend and it's hard to decide how to prioritize). He has also never taken a timed test so I wanted him to take the practice to get a sense of how to budget his time.

He has taken 2 practice tests (one in Sept. when we were deciding and another in Nov. because the first one was so much fun!). The scores were close, but the second practice was a bit higher in reading and science, which is what I'd hoped for. But I can't tell you how well the practices will predict the real test.

acs #8237 02/04/08 02:00 PM
    acs Offline
    Oh, I was going to add that the reason that we got that book is that it had the paper answer sheets. I was very worried about his ability to fill in bubbles and keep the lines straight. All his school tests are on computers, so they did not prepare him for The Bubbles!

CFK #8266 02/04/08 09:39 PM
    There generally is that preconception that kids who don't do well on SAT do better on ACT. This in reference to juniors.
    ACT is shorter, because you do not have to take the writing assessment and they are not testing any questions , like they do in SAT. I will let you know how Ghost compares them:-)

Dottie #8279 02/05/08 06:34 AM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Whew! I accidentally posted the wrong thing here, but luckily can edit still.

DS 13 thought ACT was much easier than SAT, probably partly due to shorter time, no writing.

DS 11 is taking ACT for the 1st time this Saturday. He did one practice test booklet, but has a bad attitude (I walked him through the science section to show him the answers are just logic). We'll see how it goes. His math score on SAT was mediocre, so I'm hoping he brings it up percentile-wise on ACT (he's actually been learning a lot since Dec when he sat for SAT, so it's possible).

Last edited by cym; 02/05/08 09:01 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM