Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 248 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #82735 08/17/10 02:54 PM
    S
    Syler Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    So I'm reading these posts in which people are discussing their children. Does anyone know where I can find gifted (God I hate that word) adults?

I'm looking for people to interact with, not for advice about my kids.

N
    N
    Lots of us are gifted, but our kids are definitely the focus on these boards. You might check out the forum at mygiftedlife.com. It's more oriented toward gifted adults talking about ourselves.

A
    A
    If you're youngish, http://giftedhaven.net/forum/

If you're old enough that you feel uncomfortable there, you might try the below. I couldn't tell you how active they are, or how compatible the personalities will be with you, though.

http://vcbconsulting.com/gtworld/gtadultlist.html
    http://mygiftedlife.org/forum

The two above I got from Hoagie's. I'm surprised Mensa doesn't have an online forum, although they have in-person meetings, so may not feel the need. I personally have not been a good personality fit for my local Mensa chapter, but your mileage may vary.

S
    Syler Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks guys, I will check them out.

S
    Syler Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Looks like one is a mailing list and the other (mygiftedlife)is a forum for super arrogant, ultra Left nut jobs who think the rest of the world is just too stupid to comprehend their hubristic theories on social engineering and that the only reason everyone doesn't agree with them is because they lack their god like intelligence.

That type of thinking is not at all unique, uncommon or intelligent regardless of how many fifty cent words they use.

Hubris doesn't equate to intelligence, just to a lack of wisdom.

Gifted Heaven looks promising.

Last edited by Syler; 08/17/10 04:32 PM.
    N
    N
    Wow, okay, then.

I don't post on that forum much (maybe only once or twice), but I do know at least one person who does and she definitely doesn't fit your description. If you are still wondering why people think that you are arrogant, you might consider that stating your opinion in such absolute and insulting terms could be one of the reasons. grin

G
    G
    Originally Posted by no5no5
    Lots of us are gifted, but our kids are definitely the focus on these boards.

I also concur that the odds are high that most of us are highly gifted, but as adults we now channel that into our children/careers/etc. My guess is that your best online forums might be to look for intellectual discussions about specifically what interests you.

If you look around, you might find lots of HG adults in your own community. My children's playgroups alone are filled with highly intelligent adults who went through GATE and all that when they were in the school systems. While it would be in poor taste to proclaim to each other that "we're gifted," it can be readily apparent as you chat with people. We've had amazing talks on all sorts of "gifted" topics just by getting the ball rolling with conversation starters.

I hope you find what you're looking for!

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    G
    G
    Oops, I'm sorry! I just read your other post where you introduced yourself. Please feel free to disregard my 2 cents! smile Good luck!!

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    S
    Syler Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by no5no5
    Wow, okay, then.

I don't post on that forum much (maybe only once or twice), but I do know at least one person who does and she definitely doesn't fit your description. If you are still wondering why people think that you are arrogant, you might consider that stating your opinion in such absolute and insulting terms could be one of the reasons. grin

I'll admit I only read a few threads but it seemed like the same group of 4 or 5 people including moderators and the administrator acting pretty much like I described. I'm sure there are others I didn't notice.

You may be right about sounding arrogant but when I come across a group of people claiming that they are among the few people in the world smart enough to see the obvious brilliance of Marxism, and that everyone else fails to see it because they are idiots what am I supposed to say?

I can't think of any reason I would waste a single second talking to such people.

S
    Syler Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by gratefulmom
    Oops, I'm sorry! I just read your other post where you introduced yourself. Please feel free to disregard my 2 cents! smile Good luck!!

I'm not sure how to interpret this statement.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM