Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #8236 02/04/08 01:40 PM
    A
    aagift Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Hello,
    i just figured out this forum today and find it extremely useful. I have a 5 yr old in kindergarten who is really advanced in math (i am sure he does 2 grade math) and also strong in vocabs - mainly writing - he loves to write stories and journals. I would like him to get him into some tests. Can someone recommend what tests should i have him test and where they are available. I see a lot of acronyms as scat, WSII etc and i am not clear how to proceed. Any guidance would greatly help.

CFK #8283 02/05/08 08:41 AM
    aagift,
    Welcome - I'm so glad you found us!

If you haven't been to http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/gifted_101.htm, I reccomend a cyber-visit to the mothership of gifted info.

The identification process info is here:
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/identification.htm

Testing info here:
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/testing.htm

Enjoy! And come here for your various questions and concerns. It always helps someone, hopefully you!

Smiles and Giggles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #8294 02/05/08 10:20 AM
    Mia Offline
    Welcome!

I had my 5yo tested with the WPPSI last fall. I'd be careful with that test due to ceiling issues; my ds hit 5 ceilings, so the test didn't tell us nearly as much as it could have.

When does he turn six? If it's not too long, you may want to wait and use the WISC, which has a higher ceiling. Otherwise, I'd probably go with the Stanford-Binet 5.

Good luck!

Mia
    Mia #8320 02/05/08 12:54 PM
    A
    aagift Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks everyone. I am amazed by the support.

He would turn 6 in august. Is it worth waiting till then to take the WISC. How and where do i get WISC or WPPSI. google search doesn't seem to be very useful. I will live in bay area CA i am sure there should be something around not sure where.

aagift #8321 02/05/08 12:59 PM
    I would wait. The WPPSI's low ceilings may get in your child's way, and that probably won't be such an issue with the WISC.

Have you checked the Hoagie's websites that Grinity suggested? They even list testers who are experienced with GT kids there, along with their contact info. Look there first! smile

Kriston
    aagift #8322 02/05/08 01:10 PM
    Mia Offline
    Originally Posted by aagift
    He would turn 6 in august. Is it worth waiting till then to take the WISC.

Well, that kind of depends. Are you looking to get him accommodations in school -- extra reading or math or anything? If so, it might be worth getting it done now, so you have some scores in hand when you go to the school. It takes a looong time for some schools to get moving with changes, so if you're looking to get some changes at school, it will probably take a while. Getting the testing done now would give you a chance to talk to the school before summer rolls around. And if your child *does* hit ceilings on the test, he's obviously pretty quick!

If you're testing just because you'd like a better idea of where he is, then you may as well wait, in my opinion, and continue doing what you're doing with him.

Originally Posted by aagift
    How and where do i get WISC or WPPSI.

You might want to try calling the psychology departments at local big name universities; they might be able to point you in the right direction. Otherwise, There are a few testers listed on the Hoagies website, which Grinity listed above. The ones in California aren't really in your area, though ...

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/psychologists.htm#uca

Glad you found us!

Mia
    Kriston #8323 02/05/08 01:17 PM
    We did WPPSI and WJ-III for achievement. If you don't need the results till summer than wait. If you need the numbers to start planning for next school year now than you may give it a shot.

Both tests are given by psychologist. Check to Hoagie's site but we were not lucky with that one - long waiting list and didn't even use tests accepted by DYS.

Before you make an appointment make sure that they use a test(s) you want. It may be wise to start shopping around now, because like I said the waiting list may be enormous. Google psychologist, gifted, evaluation and your state and see what you come up with. You can also call gifted schools in CA and ask them whom they use for evaluations.

Good luck

LMom
    LMom #8341 02/05/08 08:36 PM
    We did SB-5 at 4yrs 9 months and the WJ-III at age 5 yrs 1 month. We didn't wait until because we were trying to determine where my son should go to school. Personally I needed a good reason to pull my son from daycare and pay the much high Montessori tuition. I also think that it will help us get an edge to skip K. My son also hit many ceilings on the SB-5 but it did us great insight on his strengths.

Crisc
    crisc #8394 02/06/08 11:16 PM
    J
    J
    I am a public school teacher with an endorsement in GT. However, I have been in the general education classroom for 15 years. I have used my training to work with my advanced fourth graders, but my school is beginning to move back to identifying students for a yet to be determined program. I know that I could recognize a gifted kindergarten student, but we have to have a formal ID in place.
    This is where you come in. As parents, I hear you talking about IQ tests, but what did your schools use for ID? Were you given any checklists that were included in the ID process or was just formal testing used?
    I feel very comfortable identifying the intermediate child and defending that placement, but have to admit that I have little experience with the younger students and that part of this process worries me.
    Since I am the only teacher in my building with "formal" training in gifted education, I am the person being looked to for this guidance and that is ONE scary thought since it has been so long since I have really dealt with "gifted education" per se.
    What would you, as parents, be comfortable with the school using in the ID procedure? (Of course, then we have to come up with the best programming model.)
    I love teaching and find it a challenge to meet the needs of all students, but this task is really taking me out of my comfort zone!!!
    I would really appreciate any insight you have as parents of gifted children.

Last edited by Just ducky; 02/06/08 11:20 PM. Reason: wording correction
    Good for you Ducky!
    There is a terrific book on the identification of gifted children, that is research based and fun to read, part of the Sally Reis edited series. I've given a link, but please go to hoagiesgifted.com before you go to amazon to look, ok? Identification of Students for Gifted and Talented Programs (Essential Readings in Gifted Education Series) by Joseph S. Renzulli and Sally M. Reis (Paperback - Mar 6, 2004)
    Buy new: $29.95

I also reccomend that you join the Educators Guild.

Seems to me that my fanticy for ID would be to try to match ID to the services that can be scraped together. For example, if you can convinse the school to let all the strongest K readers go to mrs. x's room during reading time and have a reading group together, or even let some of them go to 1, 2, or 3 grade for reading group, then use the reading assesment you have, just keep going after the ususal stopping point with kids who reach the ceiling of the test. I don't want my child to be labled in K, only recognised for his skills and learning needs. I'd never want a label if I could get the services without them!

Bring the 1,2,and 3 grade end of year Math scope and sequences down to kindy, and see what some of the brightest kids can do with them. If you try to teach them, how quickly will they pick it up. Or you can pull a small group out and teach them something fun from the upper grade levels, what you use with the advanced 4th graders - and ask the children if it was fun. As an experienced teacher you will be good at 'adjusting down' if you are losing them, but look for the child who doesn't need that. The key thing in my mind to make sure you have a program for them when you make the ID.

You can start the ID just by sending a letter home asking the parents if they think that the worksheets that their child brings home look "too hard, too easy, or just about right." The other children know, you can ask them to nominate each other for "which child here needs harder school work?"

Good luck!
    Grinity

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM