Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 324 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #82257 08/09/10 08:27 PM
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    My kids will be going to a new school for gifted kids in a few weeks. It is 30 mins. away from home and a big change. The good news is the kids will be able to still do sports at the old school.

Well DS10 seems to be very ready for his new school. We visited a few times and he seems to have a great attitude. He is usually the more challenging one.

BUT, my always easy going daughter is not happy and keeps getting upset. I know in my heart she will be fine. She really knows how to adapt well. I'm trying to just be confident this is right for her and be empathetic. I offered to get her together with some new classmates and she declined. This is so not like her.

My son will take a 3 day computer class at this school with their students. I'm hoping somebody will have a sibling that we can get to know while we wait for him. If nothing else it will be a time for me to have fun one on one with her.

The mourning for her old school is so hard for me, but I'm trying not to show it. I guess it's ok it's hard. I just wish it wasn't. I just needed the vent. Any suggestions? Anybody else going thru this?

Last edited by onthegomom; 08/09/10 08:32 PM.
    J
    J
    I am also extremely nervous about this. My kids are switching from the very, very small private school to an average size public elementary within a huge bureacratic school system. We are doing it partially for financial reasons, but also because we felt they were aging out of their other school and needed more peers.

So one of the things I initially saw as a positive (a larger, more diverse group of kids) is also what's making me nervous (What if my goofy DS9 gets picked on?). Making the situation worse is that my other son may very well get into a local charter - but we may not know until after the start of the year. So he will have to switch and leave his brother - Yikes! They will go from being together in a mixed aged classroom to being in different schools. And our much-loved babysitter is leaving the country.

I calm myself by looking at the big picture - they are in good health, they live in a safe neighborhood, they are loved and cared for...if a stressful transition is the worst thng they face as children they will be exceptionally lucky. I think a parent's role is to raise children who are capable of dealing with challenges, even the bad ones. There is a lot of focus here on FINDING positive challenges for our children, but they need to deal with all kinds of challenges. If it's a disaster, we will make changes and move on. But we'll all learn from it no matter what. But I feel it in my stomach when I think about it.

Onthego, We are also changing to a new school for the gifted this year. I'm hoping for the best, but am worried of course! Meet the teacher is Friday the 20th and the first day is the 23rd...so I will let you know how it goes. Nan

O
    OP Offline
    O
    How is it going Newbies?

We have completed three days at the new school. My son seems to be flowing with ideas. He got out his home science box and made a fan with a battery to take to school. It has been hot. It would be interesting to see the teacher's reaction. I'm thinking the teachers might actually think it's cool.

(I don't think they would allow this at his old school.)

He has also listed a bunch of class mates he likes.

I anxiously waiting his placement testing results in 2 weeks for Math and reading. I'm a little scared about the school not keeping up with his needs but then I get these denial feelings too. I think it will be ok.

Last edited by onthegomom; 08/31/10 09:04 PM.
    So far so good! DS loves the school and his teacher loves him! It is like a dream for me to have a teacher who actually gets him. She had already told me she will be his advocate for finding a good teacher placement for next year!

DS actually thought he had a lot of homework (instead of taking 30 seconds, he actually had to spend 15 minutes or so doing it). He was excited because he got to write out a math word puzzle...he saved it for last because it is his "favorite thing to do."

DS is 2e (autism) and the teacher is actually excited about it...she's never had an Aspie in her 17 years of teaching gifted 2nd grade. (I'm guessing she never had one identified).

It's been 10 days now of great school! I hope it continues.

Thanks for your update Onthegomom!

Nan

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM