Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 32 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 31 32
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I'm sure he's having a fantastic time! smile He was so ready to go back! I'm much calmer now. ha. smile

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    For the record, he had a GREAT first day. He also, oddly enough, has a girl in his class at the new school that went to his old school last year. Now, of course, they didn't do much instruction yesterday, so we'll see how next week works out.

N
    N
    Originally Posted by JJsMom
    For the record, he had a GREAT first day. He also, oddly enough, has a girl in his class at the new school that went to his old school last year. Now, of course, they didn't do much instruction yesterday, so we'll see how next week works out.

Glad all went well !! I'm a bit nervous about this year - school starts on the 16th - ds7 will be in a familiar teachers class in 2nd grade (he went to her for math when he was in 1st grade) - but I don't know her at all. After having a wonderful 1st grade teacher who did so much for him, I'm afraid I've been spoiled and will have to be more "that parent" this year. Hope not ! smile

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    NCPMom - that's MY fear. Last year DS6's teachers were GREAT. I just hope I don't have to push much this year.

A
    A
    I was looking for something else, and came across my notes from last year's Meet The Teacher night (a few days after school starts, the teacher meets with all the parents to talk about her plans for the coming year). We'd had a great kindergarten teacher, and I was a bit nervous about first grade. My notes say I didn't like DD's new first grade teacher at all - and it turned out that she was a wonderful teacher for DD.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Ours is next week - the open house. I actually can't wait. Hid excitement has calmed my anxieties greatly.

I'm so glad your DS liked his first day of school and your stress has subsided! (And I still can't believe he's started school already! Still a month left before school starts here.)

We are getting excited about the start of 2nd grade, too! Meet the teacher in 1 1/2 weeks, then school starts in 2 weeks! My son is very very excited. Last year at meet the teacher, the first thing out of his mouth was, "Are you a nice teacher?" We will see what pops out this time around.... Nan

M
    M
    JJsmom: So glad DS is happy so far and calming your fears! Think positively. This year's GOT to be better than last year.

Can't believe you guys have already started. My boys are counting down the days. School starts Aug. 30 here. Still dealing with the whole switching school thing. Got back to school paperwork from the wrong school for DS8. Still trying to make sure his records are at the new school and that THEY send me back to school paperwork. Am worried about what teacher he'll get as they apparently haven't yet looked at his file. Sigh.

M
    M
    Encountered something today I haven't really faced before. Wondering how you guys would have handled it:

DS6 and I were at the aquarium. Now all kids have their expertise and DS6's happens to be many different kinds of creatures (sea creatures, frogs, cheetahs, etc.) He was really excited to see the Electric Eel and proceeded to tell me all sorts of things about it excitedly, including that it's not an eel and why. He had read a book about electric fish last year.

Well, this just didn't sit well with the many other kids around him. Kids were trying to correct him. He was getting irate with them, explaining exactly WHY the Electric Eel is a fish and not an eel. These kids ranged from 10 on down and just kept arguing with him. One parent called it an eel loudly to her kids, clearly perturbed at my son. I prompted him quietly to explain how he knew what he was saying, and he said he read it in a book. Eventually, the crowd broke and we moved on.

But really, how do you handle it when your kid is being a know-it-all ... even if he is right?

Last edited by mom2twoboys; 08/09/10 05:38 AM.
    Page 8 of 32 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 31 32

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM