Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #82090 08/06/10 08:23 PM
    M
    Mom0405 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    I didn't know where to put this; but I thought that a homeschooler may be able to answer this??? I have been reading a lot lately about teaching math backwards to young VSL kids who just don't get the abstract ideas, but no good examples or techniques. Is there a good resource somewhere that tells at what point you start and then go back, or how? I have used a huge number line for addition and subtraction successfully (just recently), after no success with a lot of other ways. I am curious if there is anything else out there that I can use. Abstractly, my DS didn't get the written 5+3=_; but put it on a number line and treat it like a board game; and he would move easily up and down the line with any numbers (what a relief, finally). Thanks!

There's a link on this page that says "teaching math to VSL's" butt hey only outline how to teach multiplication. I liked the article that suggested teaching VSL kids to doodle while listening to the teacher because doodling activates the dominate side of the brain and keeps both sides awake long enough to engage the other side with what the teacher is saying.
    http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/Visual_Spatial_Learner/articles.htm

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Dr. Silverman's book Upside Down Brilliance has some techniques in it for teaching math. And there might be something on her Website: http://www.visualspatial.com/Articles/articles.htm. She recommends using games, charts, drawings, colors, etc.

Not sure what you mean by teaching math backwards.. VSLs like to see the big picture first so they learn whole to parts. Especially for a 5 year old, math manipulatives are a concrete way to teach abstract. I have used Miquon wooden rods [http://www.keypress.com/x6253.xml] with my sons. I also like three corner cards [http://www.amazon.com/Three-Corner-Flash-Cards-Addition-Subtraction/dp/B0006HXTY6] that would have 5, 3 and 8 on the card to teach addition and subtraction. Singapore math [singaporemath.com] uses model method and that seems to work for my VSL son.

M
    Mom0405 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks, La Texican. That's the list that I was looking for. I read recently that letting the kid be squirmy, kick, have something else in his hand, have something to prop their feet on, walk around, bounce things, really helps VLS's concentrate. Unfortunately, DS fell off the bar stool while doing his T4L on the computer the other day. I was looking at him across the bar one second, and then thunk and an "I'm okay" the next.:) Poor kid, he has to have half of his body off the chair at all times. I am constantly moving his buns back to the middle.:)

Elisa, I have Upside Brilliance.:) I am looking for real games, etc to play with him, not just types of games. Rods, counting sticks, etc doesn't click/translate when you change it to 3+5 for some reason??? (which is crazy); so I need to figure out a way to change the counting to this visual. We use RightStart Math which has tons of math games with cards, wich seem to work for a time. He will remember number matches for 10, until I start trying to get him to remember matches for a different set of numbers. So I know that he isn't really understanding it, just memorizing temporarily, which doesn't work for him, except when he memorizes words for reading??? I just googled Singapore's model method; but it doesn't give a concrete example/game. Can you give me one, please?

Thanks, ladies. I am off to bed, looking forward to more answers in the morning.

Off the top of my head yahtzee, monopoly are the addition/multiplication games. Are battleship and mastermind some kind of math?

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    A
    A
    There's a Sorry card game that requires addition to 21. Totally Tut has the 4 basic operations, but the multiplication / division is optional. I agree with Yahtzee as well - we used that for addition with carrying, and had DD tally her own scores.

After checking the games closet, here are a few games that involve varying amounts of arithmetic that we play with DD5:

Carcassonne
    Risk
    Texas Hold 'Em
    Yahtzee

I think Mastermind is great for little ones. I tend to think of it as a problem-solving game, but of course math does involve a lot of problem-solving.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    M
    Mom0405 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    thanks for all of the suggestions!

I'm going to eventually buy this third grade algebra program. http://www.borenson.com/ It uses a plastic balance beam and dice and game pieces.
    And there's a book called calculus by kids for kids that teaches fractions by shading in squares on graph paper with different colors. I just remembered to post them here. It will be a few years before I buy them.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM