Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 32 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 31 32
    A
    A
    My DD6 definitely made some major leaps in her physical development this year. After refusing to get on a bike since birth, she is now riding (with training wheels, but she's on it!!!). Two days ago she figured out how to swing without being pushed. I know that these may sound like minor accomplishments but for her this development is HUGE!

She's still cutting up fashion magazines, however, just before she fell asleep tonight she said, 'I think I'm almost done with the magazines'. And yesterday she wrote a short book (that did involve a fairy in a fashion show). Usually she just writes a couple of sentences per page, but this one was full pages of text. So, thanks Seventeen Magazine, your summer romance and beauty advice have somehow dramatically improved my DD's writing skills. I wonder what Cosmo could do?

And... DD is 6.5 early Jan baby

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Irisheyes - I noticed this spring season in baseball, that DS6.5 has really improved physically. He has always been coordinated and average to above average compared to his age peers, but he is now what I would consider above average.

I hear that 6-7 is really when children really fit into their own skin and bones.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by JJsMom
    I hear that 6-7 is really when children really fit into their own skin and bones.

That really makes sense, JJsMom. I'm going to remember that...

Annaliisa, congrats on all of the physical development of your dd. I think those things are great!

I don't know about you, but I have found it very enlightening to have a child who is slower in the athletic/coordination department. When I would see a younger child swimming across the pool, I would think, "Wow! It's possible for a 3-year-old to do that?" I'm sure that's how people must have felt hearing my dd read things. Like when then 3-year-old dd looked at a sample tube of tooth paste and said, "Look mom! This has 100% cavity protection!" Her dentist still talks about that one...

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Irisheyes
    I don't know about you, but I have found it very enlightening to have a child who is slower in the athletic/coordination department. When I would see a younger child swimming across the pool, I would think, "Wow! It's possible for a 3-year-old to do that?"

I love this. Just a couple of weeks ago, DS5's tae kwon do instructor told me he needs to work on his push ups, and I actually asked him "Can most 5 year olds really DO push ups?"

I'll be looking forward to that physical leap in a year or so. DS5 still won't go near a bike.

Our DS6 isn't very physical either. He hates his bike, along with most sports, because he's not very good at physical stuff. He's very cautious about everything and likes to spend a good deal of time watching before participating. But he wants to try soccer this fall. I had to get special permission to have him play with the K-1 group instead of the grade 2-6 group. I was disappointed to learn that our local Y offers sports by grade, rather than age. We are in a smallish town, so the Y dominates the sports activities outside of school. Luckily, they bent their policy when they learned the facts. It just made me think that there may be a lot of special permissions we'll have to get in the next several years. Sigh.

Re: push ups -- The gymnastics coach told us that DS-then-5 needed to do push ups to get some arm strength. I thought she was joking at first. We never could get him to do it.

Last night one of our adult friends asked DS6 if he was going into first grade. DS responded with glee that he was skipping first and going into second. I'm wondering if any of you with kids who have been accelerated have found something for your kids to say instead of the bragging "I'm skipping!" In this case, it led to a bunch of adults asking DS math questions, which we haven't experienced before.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    So, um, I'm NOT at all impressed with DS6.5's new school or his new teacher... I mean, she had a lot to deal with yesterday, BUT without mentioning specifics, I'm just going to wait the first week (two days this week & a full week next week) to see if I need to step in.

Oh, I'm just hoping it was just MY OWN anxiety issues beating me down and not anything more than that.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I'm a mess this morning. DS6.5 got on the bus to go to school. He didn't want me to take him. DH checked in on him though (to ease MY worries). I'm pretty proud of him going to a new school, not knowing anyone but one 5th grader, all by himself.

But inside, I'm a total disaster! LOL

G
    G
    JJs Mom, I know how you feel! The fact that he was feeling so independent ia a great sign, though. That sounds like he was excited and ready to go this morning. Plus, I've discovered that nobody makes friends faster than 6 year old boys!. They're nonjudgmental, sweet, and they speak the universal "boy" language when it comes to things like Legos, Star Wars, HP, and those kinds of areas. smile

I'm sure he'll have a wonderful first day, and please let us know how he enjoys it. ((Hugs))

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I will and thanks!

I
    I
    JJsMom -- That all sounds so stressful!

First of all, just embarking on a new school is a big deal. And then you had the negative vibes from yesterday. Just remember, your son's experience and impressions will not necessarily be the same as yours ... and he may be having an awesome time. If it's anything like your experience last year, hopefully the teacher will notice his gifts and talents all on her own.

Please, like gratefulmom says, keep us posted..

Page 7 of 32 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 31 32

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM