Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    DS6 has read the Penrose books and the number devil book and finds some of the concepts too easy and wants something more. He has read so many math stories we feel like we are running out. I have heard about the murderous math books but I can't seem to find them anywhere around except for bulk packages on-line that are like $100. Any ideas or suggestions??

M
    M
    One book we especially loved was Malba Tahan's "The Man who Counted." Oh, and another favourite was Julia Diggins's "String, Straightedge, and Shadow," although that is more history and less story.

Julie Brennan has a huge list of math readers here:

http://www.livingmath.net/ReadersbyConcept/tabid/268/Default.aspx

peace
    minnie

Last edited by minniemarx; 08/02/10 10:33 AM.
    A
    A
    Some (but not all) of the Murderous Maths are available used through Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com/Kjartan-Poskitt/e/B001HCU8N4/) $3.99 shipping plus a few cents in book cost, in most cases. (Ebay has them as well - searching on the author's name got me better results.)

M
    M
    If you're looking for Murderous Maths, I'd suggest checking with Ray at http://www.horriblebooks.com/

That's where we picked up the Murderous Maths and Horrible Science, etc... books.

Ray is great!

M
    M

M
    M
    My son also enjoyed Number Devil. I would HIGHLY recommend the Murderous Math Series for the kid who is past all of the arithmetic, but not quite ready for Algebra. They are British and the British sense of humor is reflected in the books which my son loved! I tried for months and could not find them used so I broke down and bought the set. I have to say though that my DS8 read the set in one week and continually goes back to them just for fun. I would also recommend the book, Phantom Tollboth.
    The game, Equate is also good.

C
    C
    I'm listening! OT, but if your DS's interests extend to physics, it might be relevant to recommend the Uncle Albert books such as
    http://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Albert-Quantum-Russell-Stannard/dp/0571226809/
    and the books by Lucy and Stephen Hawking such as
    http://www.amazon.com/Georges-Secret-Universe-Stephen-Hawking/dp/1416985840
    Even more OT, if he's into chemistry you might want to look at
    http://www.amazon.com/Disappearing-Spoon-Madness-Periodic-Elements/dp/0316051640/
    which my DS6 has just devoured - this one is anecdotes, not a fictional story, and some might consider some of it unsuitable for children.

The closest I know to a story-based book with much higher level maths than the ones mentioned is unfortunately still a draft by a colleague of mine, seeking a publisher, and only a handful of IRL readers are getting access to it just now. If this changes I will certainly publicise it here, since DS loves the draft!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    M
    M
    Those Uncle Albert books look great, ColinsMum--thank you!

shellymos, would your little guy be interested in biographies, I wonder? The Jeanne Bendick books about Galileo and Archimedes might be interesting in that case. We also tried Luetta Reimer's "Mathematicians are People, Too," but somehow didn't care greatly for the writing (which tends to be a bit of a dealbreaker around here, I'm afraid), and the content was a bit "lite" as well. Charles Seife's book about zero is the biography of a number, so to speak--that one was a lot of fun.

Edwin Abbott's "Flatland" might appeal to him?

Not stories, but fun, are the Martin Gardner collections of puzzles of various sorts; maybe he'd enjoy "Gotcha," which is his paradox collection?

Harpo's favourite math book right now is Starbird and Burger's "Heart of Mathematics." It's a textbook, but written in a very engaging conversational tone (and hey, it comes with 3D glasses!!). Might be fun? (It's ridiculously expensive new, but there are scads of cheap copies on abebooks--we got a brand-new copy of the previous edition for literally pennies plus shipping.)

Hope that helps....

peace
    minnie

N
    N
    My DS7 has been addicted to a couple of math books at the library for a year or more (I think he's the only one who checks them out, he renews them twice and then we return them for one cycle and then do it all again because I haven't actually gotten around to buying them).

Go Figure

Why Pi

Oh, and also:

Math Dictionary

Last edited by Nautigal; 08/19/10 07:54 PM. Reason: added another book
    N
    N
    Hey Minnie, thanks for the "Heart of Mathematics" idea--I checked it out and ordered a copy of the 2nd edition for DS7's birthday! It definitely looks like something he'll be attached to for a long time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM