Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #8178 02/01/08 03:16 PM
    Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Do any of your kids enjoy learning foreign languages? If so, how are they learning? (ie: school, tapes, online, etc)

My dd loves foreign languages and has an unusual ability to acquire near perfect accents. She took spanish last year (1st grade) after school but the program was very basic and I didn't see her really learning the language, it was more word-memorization. Maybe thats how they start that young but it didn't seem as if she was really learning to speak the language. Anyway, she can count in 4 languages (French, Italian, Spanish and Chinese)and can say a few words as well. I would love to find a really great program out there for her. Any suggestions are very welcomed! Has anyone had experience with the Muzzy programs?

Mom2LA #8179 02/01/08 03:30 PM
    Our DS6 LOVES foreign language. Eats it up!

He's taking 2 GT enrichment courses on Sat.: French and Spanish, and he practics at home without my nagging him. Since he's liking that so much, I asked the French teacher for a tutor reference, and he gave me the number for his brother, who lives not far from us and has a day off that suits our schedule. I haven't called yet--Jan. was a VERY CRAZY month!--but I'm planning to arrange French lessons as soon as I can get my act together and do it.

If you can find a class or tutor, I think that's best for kids. They're such sponges. Plus they'll learn songs, poems, and other such aids to memory, or they'll use physical actions to cement the language kinesthetically. It's not as cheap as a computer program, but it's a much better way to learn.

I considered computer programs, but I decided I'd rather get him with a real teacher, so I haven't used any of the ones you've mentioned, though I looked at Muzzy and some free ones that I found on Google. I decided that I might use a program as support when he's far enough along in his language-learning, but I don't want this to be hs primary teaching source.

But that's just me! YMMV. Do what works for you!

Kriston
    Kriston #8180 02/01/08 03:59 PM
    Q
    Q
    Hey, Tammy and Kriston! DS has Spanish in school and hates it. He has a beautiful accent, but is bored in class. I think all the teacher does is point at objects and say the words. He also asks why he has to learn another language. I've always liked languages and wish I could inspire him. I'll take a look at Muzzy or anything else fun suggested in this thread. I'm jealous of your children's love for languages.

True, a bad teacher is never good, in any subject. frown

You remind me that I didn't specify the kind of class, and that matters a LOT! Immersion programs are best. The less English spoken in class, the better! And the more active the kids are--jumping, spinning, walking, etc.--the better for memory and engagement. Pointing and saying words to seated kids is not immersion teaching! I learned 50 words in my first day in German I class in high school because she had us jumping up and sitting down and turning the lights on and off and...She did not speak a word of English the entire class once she informed us that we were going to learn 50 words. All the rest of the class was German! It was fun!

Questions: teach your son how to call someone a funny name in Spanish. (As I recall from 25 years ago, we liked calling people woodcutters in German because it sounded so funny--something like "Shlysenheitsschleifer" or some such combination of sh's and luh's...) But calling someone a "teapot nose" in Spanish might be just the thing to perk up his interest.

Also, a trip to a Spanish-speaking place--especially if he's the only one who can speak Spanish!--is great for showing a kid why learning a foreign language matters.

Kriston
    Mom2LA #8248 02/04/08 05:14 PM
    C
    C
    Our son (8) has been learning Spanish since the start of the academic school year. We use a program on United Streaming/Discovery Education called Educacion Espanol. It's basically a video of a class, geared toward middle school students. [We had started with a K-5 version but my child called it mind-numbingly boring, so I found a more advanced version.] So far we are happy with it, but I'd like to build in more opportunities for daily practice.

Neither my husband nor I speak Spanish, so we are learning it along with our son. We try to practice a little bit every day.

Tara

acs Offline
    We did have Muzzy, which DS used when he was 3-6 years old or so. Mostly he loved to listen to the tapes as he was going to sleep at night--he found them very comforting. He also liked the computer games that came with it. I don't remember that he spoke much, but I felt like he absorbed a lot of the sense of the language through all that listening.

When we took him to Honduras the first time when he was 7, it was like a light went on for him. He understood that Spanish wasn't just a silly game, but the way people communicated. After that we haven't had any trouble getting him to speak. But I do think that Muzzy laid the ground work for his later learning. I doubt very much if it would work on its own, though; you would want to have someone for your child to speak with, at least eventually.

acs #8259 02/04/08 07:01 PM
    Originally Posted by acs
    We did have Muzzy, which DS used when he was 3-6 years old or so. Mostly he loved to listen to the tapes as he was going to sleep at night--he found them very comforting.

We have French Muzzy and DS5 did exactly the same thing. He listened to Muzzy every evening for months and then he moved onto different French CDs. Both DS3 and DS5 take French lessons twice a week in Montessori. French is their 3rd language. They grew up bilingual.

LMom
    LMom #18638 06/30/08 02:16 AM
    We have the 1st level french and the kids really do love it, the songs are the funnest part for them. Does anyone have any recommendations for MORE foreign language songs (tapes, cds) for the car? or just regular cartoons in foreign language - french is our preference since that's where we've started. I have looked at netflix, found some spanish, but no french yet.
    I have found muzzy sets at the **LIBRARY** which really is exciting to me - you might want to check at your local library if anyone is considering buying one of these sets. It's a great way to try them out. I checked out the 2nd level muzzy and we enjoyed it for weeks and will probably check it out again soon.
    If nothing else, my DS7 really knows how to say 'france' correctly!

Chris,

We also liked CDs
    Beth Manners' Magic French for Kids
    Beth Manners Fun French for Kids

They were fun to listen to in the car and I think DS5 pretty much memorized the whole thing. They may be too easy for your son at this point though. They may be still worth checking out if you can find them in the library.

I am saving Muzzy II for DS5 birthday. I am glad you liked it.

LMom
    LMom #18652 06/30/08 07:53 AM
    My kids have liked Hooked on Spanish.

There are also

Hooked on French
    Hooked on Chinese
    Hooked on English
    Hooked on Baby Sign Language

http://hooked-on-phonics.com/hooked...amp;cat=By%20Subject&Category_ID=172

Last edited by Cathy A; 06/30/08 07:54 AM.
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM